Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Yeah, so they say that a beta version of 10.7.3 contains drivers for a GPU with the code name "Tahiti", which apparently is or will be the Radeon 7950 desktop GPU.

The article goes on speculating that this will be the GPU in the next Mac Pro, given that all other apple computers use mobile GPUs. They say that a Mac Pro update is expected early 2012, mention the Xeon E5 as CPU and the possibility to have up to 16 cores (2x8), and say that possible other upgrades could be Thunderbolt (obvious), Bluetooth 4.0 and USB 3.0.

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Yeah, so they say that a beta version of 10.7.3 contains drivers for a GPU with the code name "Tahiti", which apparently is or will be the Radeon 7950 desktop GPU.

The article goes on speculating that this will be the GPU in the next Mac Pro, given that all other apple computers use mobile GPUs. They say that a Mac Pro update is expected early 2012, mention the Xeon E5 as CPU and the possibility to have up to 16 cores (2x8), and say that possible other upgrades could be Thunderbolt (obvious), Bluetooth 4.0 and USB 3.0.

lets keep our fingers crossed und die Hoffnung auf Glück

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
AMD is having a tech day tomorrow, so we should know a lot more about these GPU and their schedule in a day or two.

The Mac DDS

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2011
CA

Well of course the new MPs will be here shortly. I just purchased my mid-2010 MP. Typically, Apple releases the newer version a month after my purchase. ;)

The same thing happened after two of my iMac purchases.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
In English :

The published last week in the beta version of Mac OS X 10.7.3 apparently does not yet available with drivers for graphics cards. Netkas.org According to the blog, it will be a matter of drivers for AMD desktop graphics chip, code-named "Tahiti". These come in January, according to Fudzilla, under the product name Radeon HD 7950 and Radeon HD 7970 on the market.

The presence of these drivers suggests that Apple will release the aforementioned graphics chip with the next-generation Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is the only Mac-series, which are used in desktop graphics chips. In all other Macs GPU Mobile versions can be found.

A new generation of Mac Pro is expected in early 2012. At the beginning of next year, Intel's latest Xeon processors E5-series will be available in larger quantities. The Xeon E5 replaces the Xeon E56xx series, which is built into current Mac Pro configurations. Experts believe that Apple will use the Xeon E5 in the high-end versions of the new Mac Pro.

The Xeon E5 is also available as an eight-core variant, resulting in a Mac Pro with 16 core moves within range. The current Mac Pro which is available since August 2010, is offered with up to twelve cores.

As a further innovation for the next Mac Pro model Thunderbolt, Bluetooth 4.0 and USB 3.0 are in conversation.

Draeconis

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008

Almost certainly won't have USB 3.0, they're touting Thunderbolt as the interconnection of choice, I bet it'll just have USB 2.0 ports, like all the devices of 2011. The rest of that seems likely.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Keep in mind ATI writes the Mac drivers. It's a good sign for sure, but it would reflect ATI's perspective on things.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Apple have never released Mac Pros (any Intel Mac?) with old graphics cards. They always used the latest. Sadly it was often near the end of the cycle; and with long cycles they seemed to get a reputation for always using old technology.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Apple have never released Mac Pros (any Intel Mac?) with old graphics cards. They always used the latest. Sadly it was often near the end of the cycle; and with long cycles they seemed to get a reputation for always using old technology.

You know a new Mac Pro is coming out when ATI is about to release a new graphics card. :)

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Almost certainly won't have USB 3.0, they're touting Thunderbolt as the interconnection of choice, I bet it'll just have USB 2.0 ports, like all the devices of 2011. The rest of that seems likely.

Ivy Bridge will have built-in USB 3, so Apple might throw that in on MPs since they have plenty of space for an extra chipset. that way they'd have USB 3 throughout the Mac lineup. it wouldn't complicate the ports either since all the current 2 ports can just be turned into 3.

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
All I'm gonna say is that new Mac Pro better have 3 thunderbolt ports for 3 displays! Like how the iMac has 2 on the 27in and I would assume they would do that cause the Mac Pro has no monitors!

Henriok

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2002
Gothenburg, Sweden
So is the new Mac Pros going to have Thunderbolt ports on this graphics card _and_ on the motherboard? I can't think of a very good scenario where there's TB ports missing on either. How is this going to work really?

kriebe

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2011
Irvine, CA
All I'm gonna say is that new Mac Pro better have 3 thunderbolt ports for 3 displays! Like how the iMac has 2 on the 27in and I would assume they would do that cause the Mac Pro has no monitors!

3 Thunderbolt ports would mean 6 displays as you can daisy 2 per port.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
This can't be. Mac Pro is DEAD!!! :rolleyes:

They can still produce them without them being their main priority. Apparently they still see the line as being able to generate a profit.

The point of the thread about a month ago regarding the possible discontinuation of the line was that it wouldn't be particularly surprising (and certainly understandable) if that was to occur.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.