Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:47 PM   #26
Aldaris
macrumors 6502a

So does this mean we will see a Mac Pro at the same time as 10.7.3 or after?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:48 PM   #27
wikus
Banned

If it wasnt for the insanely low price i got my 15" 2011 macbook pro (high res, 750gb, matte screen) for $1200, I'd still be on my 2007 Mac Pro.

I'll easily sell the macbook pro in exchange for a Mac Pro and get back to using a real machine for real work. Laptops are nice, but theyre too limiting for professionals.
wikus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:49 PM   #28
swingerofbirch
macrumors 68030

It's hard to imagine Apple releasing new Mac Pros at keynotes, like they did in the past. In the Power Mac days, Apple would have those fun "bake-offs" with a Power Mac going up against a PC. It's hard to imagine Apple today, with all the attention it has on it and all the consumer mindshare, dedicating one of their beloved keynotes to what has now become an old-fashioned goal: making the fastest, most powerful PC/Mac on the planet.

Also, when Apple releases new products at keynotes, they tend to first go over the "state of things" at Apple, and I don't think they'd have any great news to share about their dedication to pro users in terms of software or sales of hardware. The presentations about the high-end software (Final Cut Pro, etc) were interesting to me, even though I don't use them, but it seems Apple is very much consumer-focused now.

I think, if there is a new Mac Pro, it will be a soft release on the web-site only, or an extra item in a keynote that focuses mainly on some other product.
swingerofbirch is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 07:55 PM   #29
Neodym
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Experts believe that Apple will use the Xeon E5 in the high-end versions of the new Mac Pro.
For me this is the most interesting statement! It does imply that there will be variants without E5's. Would it be E3 then as entry model(s), desktop-class core i7 or even ARM-based A6 chips?

Is anyone aware of a source regarding those experts believing this officially, maybe with more details?
Neodym is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:01 PM   #30
Sharky II
macrumors 6502

Mac Pro on the MR front page. Whatever next!
Sharky II is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:02 PM   #31
nagromme
macrumors G4

I have a newfound interest in desktop-class GPU drivers, even though Ill likely never buy a Mac Pro: I want a Thunderbolt expansion chassis (as some companies have announced) to house a destkop-class GPU for my Air! (I assume it won't support cards other than the ones Apple has their own drivers for: the ones for the Pro.) Then I can have just ONE computer for all purposes.
nagromme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:03 PM   #32
David085
Banned

Best News hopefully they continue to make the Mac Pro still.
David085 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:04 PM   #33
adder7712
macrumors 68000

There's still hope!

Apple, you can do this.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:04 PM   #34
isoMorpheus

Anybody think there'll be visual differences?
isoMorpheus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:10 PM   #35
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
This. Let's just face facts. Which, by the way, are neither lost on the industry, nor on Apple (and especially not lost on retailers.)

The "Pro" niche that uses these workstations is dying out. As more and more power is fit into smaller and smaller form factors, there is less need for these aluminum monstrosities. They can (and are) gradually being replaced by more cost-effective, smaller and more compact devices that are slowly (and already are) taking over the tasks formerly the specialty of these big boxes.

This was an inevitability. All you need to do is keep an eye on the long-term trends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
They can still produce them without them being their main priority. Apparently they still see the line as being able to generate a profit.

The point of the thread about a month ago regarding the possible discontinuation of the line was that it wouldn't be particularly surprising (and certainly understandable) if that was to occur.

Just admit you are wrong. Not too hard, eh?
firestarter is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:17 PM   #36
d-m-a-x
macrumors 6502

I think we may see a new Mac Pro. If they don't make one, it will create a backlash - thats is worse than not making a profit. If it is a vanity computer - than so be it!
d-m-a-x is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:22 PM   #37
NDefer
macrumors member

seems like apple has alot to do in 2012, its like every product line is due for a redesign / big update

mac pro -> obviously
iphone 5 -> obviously
Imac -> Needs redesign
Macbook Pro -> Needs redesign
Macbook Air -> ???
Ipad 3 -> seems like its due for a substantial update
NDefer is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:24 PM   #38
Titanium81
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The presence of these drivers suggests that Apple will release the aforementioned graphics chip with the next-generation Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is the only Mac-series, which are used in desktop graphics chips. In all other Macs GPU Mobile versions can be found.
Really? The iMac uses a Mobile GPU?
Titanium81 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:29 PM   #39
GyroFX
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to GyroFX Send a message via Yahoo to GyroFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium81 View Post
Really? The iMac uses a Mobile GPU?
yep. that's why it's the 6970(M) and before that 5850(M), etc
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:30 PM   #40
mayhone1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-m-a-x View Post
ran into this - seems promising, anyone read German?
http://www.macgadget.de/News/2011/11...o-Grafikkarten
It Says:

The published last week in the beta version of Mac OS X 10.7.3 apparently does not yet available with drivers for graphics cards. Netkas.org According to the blog, it will be a matter of drivers for AMD desktop graphics chip, code-named "Tahiti". These come in January, according to Fudzilla, under the product name Radeon HD 7950 and Radeon HD 7970 on the market.

The presence of these drivers suggests that Apple will release the aforementioned graphics chip with the next-generation Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is the only Mac-series, which are used in desktop graphics chips. In all other Macs GPU Mobile versions can be found.
A new generation of Mac Pro is expected in early 2012. At the beginning of next year, Intel's latest Xeon processors E5-series will be available in larger quantities. The Xeon E5 replaces the Xeon E56xx series, which is built into current Mac Pro configurations. Experts believe that Apple will use the Xeon E5 in the high-end versions of the new Mac Pro.

The Xeon E5 is also available as an eight-core variant, resulting in a Mac Pro with 16 core moves within range. The current Mac Pro which is available since August 2010, is offered with up to twelve cores.

As a further innovation for the next Mac Pro model Thunderbolt, Bluetooth 4.0 and USB 3.0 are in conversation.
mayhone1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:31 PM   #41
lilsoccakid74
macrumors 6502

feel bad for people that wanted a mac pro about 5-6 months after it came out. I personally will wait for a refresh on anything if buying it 3+ months after release, and know many others do the same. i cant imagine how they must feel!

at least the new machine will be a beast!
lilsoccakid74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:31 PM   #42
smulji
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDefer View Post
seems like apple has alot to do in 2012, its like every product line is due for a redesign / big update

mac pro -> obviously
iphone 5 -> obviously
Imac -> Needs redesign
Macbook Pro -> Needs redesign
Macbook Air -> ???
Ipad 3 -> seems like its due for a substantial update
Explain to me why the iMac NEEDS a redesign. The current design is still beautiful.
smulji is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:32 PM   #43
GyroFX
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to GyroFX Send a message via Yahoo to GyroFX
7XXX series AMD? Sweet, now I can run Number Munchers at more than 60fps!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:35 PM   #44
Titanium81
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsoccakid74 View Post
feel bad for people that wanted a mac pro about 5-6 months after it came out. I personally will wait for a refresh on anything if buying it 3+ months after release, and know many others do the same. i cant imagine how they must feel!

at least the new machine will be a beast!
The Current Mac Pro is still a BEAST!
Titanium81 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:35 PM   #45
gugy
macrumors 68000

I wish couple things to come alongside the new Mac Pro.

First new redesigned ACD 30" or larger with mate screen. Please!

Second a new Mac Pro enclosure. Not because I don't like the current one. It's great , but a new redesigned enclosure would be a clear signal that Apple still cares about the MacPro and is improving it. So that would let us professionals breath a bit easier for few more years.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:36 PM   #46
t0rr3s
macrumors 6502

Hoorah! Start selling your mac pros to me so I can semi retire my 1,1!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:43 PM   #47
wikus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
Nice find
wikus is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:50 PM   #48
dolphin842
macrumors 65816

Some leaked specs showed some very impressive drops in the power requirements of the 7000-series GPUs. Perhaps that's why Apple is considering an 79xx-level card this time around.
dolphin842 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:55 PM   #49
mayhone1
macrumors regular

I'm thinking about buying a Mac Pro, I just wondering energy wise how much energy it uses and how long do mac pros last?
mayhone1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:01 PM   #50
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestarter View Post
Tee hee.
Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro