Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
If it wasnt for the insanely low price i got my 15" 2011 macbook pro (high res, 750gb, matte screen) for $1200, I'd still be on my 2007 Mac Pro.

I'll easily sell the macbook pro in exchange for a Mac Pro and get back to using a real machine for real work. Laptops are nice, but theyre too limiting for professionals.

:rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? I would HATE to be tethered to a ball and chain Mac Pro again.

As a professional I have found my MBP to be the best at power and portability. I can take my work with me, work with clients at their location, and if I need anything extra (larger display, backup, raid, etc..) I can plug them in back at my office.

The days of having a flat/office with a big ole honking computer are gone. If you are not mobile and in the field your competitors are going to eat up your clients.

I don't care if you are a programmer, photographer, writer, teacher, video editor, etc... Being mobile in this economy is the key...

-P

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Extremely doubtful, and there wouldn't be much reason to put these in a TV. The A5 can push 1080p no problem.

(Was trying to reply to bketchum but the forum burped and reply isn't working right..)

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Shame it'll be running Lion.

That needs to be viewed as a great thing. Any failure to keep up with the latest operating system by software vendors should result in them losing customers and everyone moving to the software company that keeps up with every little change every time. The day it launches, it needs to immediately be viewed the the best operating system. Snow Leopard needs to be viewed as ancient.

50% serious.

BTMKRS

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
I tend to believe that most Macbook Pro users are just people that want to be Trendy, which is fine.

Its like people that want Solar Panels on their homes but want them on the FRONT of the Roof so their neighbors can see ... instead of the back of the Roof where it would save them more money.

Nobody can see Mac Pro's but its great when people bring projects they couldnt finish on their Laptops.. so Keep buying them !! PLEASE

Lestdog

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008

Are you kidding me? I would HATE to be tethered to a ball and chain Mac Pro again.

As a professional I have found my MBP to be the best at power and portability. I can take my work with me, work with clients at their location, and if I need anything extra (larger display, backup, raid, etc..) I can plug them in back at my office.

The days of having a flat/office with a big ole honking computer are gone. If you are not mobile and in the field your competitors are going to eat up your clients.

I don't care if you are a programmer, photographer, writer, teacher, video editor, etc... Being mobile in this economy is the key...

-P

It's amazing to me that people can make statements like this. This guy is going is going to have us think a 3D artist is going to be knocking out millions of polys on a laptop and still make deadlines? Also, not everyone has to be mobile... why do you think that? You know, there's this funny thing called the internet through which a lot of people communicate.

And who says you can't have both a Desktop and a laptop? Most serious content developers have both anyway.

viktore

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
It's amazing to me that people can make statements like this. This guy is going is going to have us think a 3D artist is going to be knocking out millions of polys on a laptop and still make deadlines? Also, not everyone has to be mobile... why do you think that? You know, there's this funny thing called the internet through which a lot of people communicate.

And who says you can't have both a Desktop and a laptop? Most serious content developers have both anyway.

Couldn't have said it better :cool:

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I tend to believe that most Macbook Pro users are just people that want to be Trendy, which is fine.

Its like people that want Solar Panels on their homes but want them on the FRONT of the Roof so their neighbors can see ... instead of the back of the Roof where it would save them more money.

Nobody can see Mac Pro's but its great when people bring projects they couldnt finish on their Laptops.. so Keep buying them !! PLEASE

Based on what? Your own preconceived notions? If you expand your logic then most people that prefer the Mac OS only do so b/c they only want to be "trendy" and not because it's an easier OS to maintain. Plus I doubt fashionistas would haul around old design MBPs when all their pals have the svelte MBA.

Laptops (PC and Mac) have been the preferred computer form factor for years now since laptops can be as powerful as some desktops. That trend continues if that's what you mean by trendy, but I don't get that people haul around Mac laptops to impress people. I don't think many people are wowed you own a Mac laptop. It's more like big whoop.

tr8dr

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
Most of the MP design is brilliant. There are 2 internal design aspects which could be improved:

1. Would be nice to have screw-less drive trays
  2. Having disks at the top of the case increases the amount of heat they are exposed to (since heat rises). I've found that my drives get warm/hot in the MP enclosure, whereas in a different enclosure the drives were at room temperature.

That said, other aspects of the internal design are brilliant. The plug-in cpu board is great in terms of access to CPUs / memory and putting much less physical stress on the logic board, where the traditional setup has to support a cooling system on each CPU pulling the logic board outwards.

jonnymo5

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Texas
Woohoo I've been waiting for a new card.

I've tried to go without a desktop computer and it just doesn't work for me. A laptop is just "good enough" to work remotely. If I could shrink my pro and carry it with me I would do that. Having a machine that doesn't have to compromise speed and power for a small form factor and inadequate cooling is really helpful. Not to mention all the screen space you can afford.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
If they do redesign the case, and I'm still not convinced that they will, it will be for usability purposes, not to make it pretty or small just for the sake of it. When you open up a Mac Pro, and really, you should, they are gorgeous inside, you can tell they were designed to be used, not look pretty on the outside. Inside they are neat and organized, and a dream to work with. When they're running, they are quiet and cool, with ports organized in a logical way. The original G5 cases were excellently designed, but they've only gotten better.

Apple won't retreat from the current Mac Pro case. They might, if they can figure out how, advance to something better. If the internals start using less power, and don't need as much cooling, and Apple expects that trend to continue for the foreseeable future, Apple might start moving to a smaller case design. As much as I'd like to think SSDs will be small enough, cheap enough per GB, and standard, so that Apple can stick 4 SSDs in there for less space, I think we're stuck with four large HD bays. Pros need all those bays, though, so don't think they'll drop down to 2 HDs just to get a smaller case. I do think the Mac Pro will be the last Mac to have optical drives still on there. Pro Macs always are the last hold-outs for obsolete technology (not that optical discs are quite there yet, they're getting close). I remember SCSI cards being an option in the Apple Store for the old G4 PowerMacs for the longest time, even as everything was moving to FW400 and USB.

No doubt Apple would love to reduce their aluminum and shipping costs by making a smaller case Mac Pro, but they know their market. The Mac Pro market needs all the stuff that's in those current cases. Until they can figure out how to shrink those internals, and maintain the same functionality and usability, Apple won't change the case. I don't see a radical change happening soon, but maybe they will reduce the size slightly, internals allowing, to make it more easily rack-mounted.

Anyway, it's fantastic news hearing some hints of a new Mac Pro model. I can wait, but not too much longer.

wiz329

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Laptops (PC and Mac) have been the preferred computer form factor for years now since laptops can be as powerful as some desktops. That trend continues if that's what you mean by trendy, but I don't get that people haul around Mac laptops to impress people. I don't think many people are wowed you own a Mac laptop. It's more like big whoop.

You're simultaneously quite right and awfully wrong. Of course, smaller, lighter, and more portable is preferrable. If a Macbook Air could do everything a Mac Pro could, I would happy to have that form factor instead! However, with current technology, I guarantee you that for serious content creation requiring multi-threaded loads and 3D rendering, laptops are not the preferred computer.

keyword: powerful as *some* desktops. Maybe if you consider the mac mini a desktop. Otherwise, I guarantee you no macbook pro is as powerful as a MP.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
I'd LOVE to see a new Mac Pro, with a current(new) video card for a change, and with pricing to bring it more in line with what they were charging for the 2008 models. From 2009-on they seriously jacked up the prices. Apple can't expect to get the same margin percentage on a Mac Pro that they do with the portables.

And I'd love to take that new Mac Pro home, summarily execute Lion, and install a fresh copy of Snow Leopard on it. ;)

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
If they do redesign the case, and I'm still not convinced that they will, it will be for usability purposes, not to make it pretty or small just for the sake of it. When you open up a Mac Pro, and really, you should, they are gorgeous inside, you can tell they were designed to be used, not look pretty on the outside. Inside they are neat and organized, and a dream to work with. When they're running, they are quiet and cool, with ports organized in a logical way. The original G5 cases were excellently designed, but they've only gotten better.

Apple won't retreat from the current Mac Pro case. They might, if they can figure out how, advance to something better. If the internals start using less power, and don't need as much cooling, and Apple expects that trend to continue for the foreseeable future, Apple might start moving to a smaller case design. As much as I'd like to think SSDs will be small enough, cheap enough per GB, and standard, so that Apple can stick 4 SSDs in there for less space, I think we're stuck with four large HD bays. Pros need all those bays, though, so don't think they'll drop down to 2 HDs just to get a smaller case. I do think the Mac Pro will be the last Mac to have optical drives still on there. Pro Macs always are the last hold-outs for obsolete technology (not that optical discs are quite there yet, they're getting close). I remember SCSI cards being an option in the Apple Store for the old G4 PowerMacs for the longest time, even as everything was moving to FW400 and USB.

No doubt Apple would love to reduce their aluminum and shipping costs by making a smaller case Mac Pro, but they know their market. The Mac Pro market needs all the stuff that's in those current cases. Until they can figure out how to shrink those internals, and maintain the same functionality and usability, Apple won't change the case. I don't see a radical change happening soon, but maybe they will reduce the size slightly, internals allowing, to make it more easily rack-mounted.

Anyway, it's fantastic news hearing some hints of a new Mac Pro model. I can wait, but not too much longer.

I fully agree, for some tasks a Pro is the only machine that can do the job and is massively quick. However for me, and many other people, there is too much of a gap between the Pro and the Mini, and I don't want an iMac.

BTMKRS

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
If you expand your logic then most people that prefer the Mac OS only do so b/c they only want to be "trendy" and not because it's an easier OS to maintain. Plus I doubt fashionistas would haul around old design MBPs when all their pals have the svelte MBA

Thats Exactly what I believe .
The average computer user doesnt know that its EASIER TO MAINTAIN. Thats just schpeel to most folks.

Most People ARE buying them because its TRENDY to have one, which is Fine with me.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010

-P

When I'm not home I just access my mac pro remotely *from* my MBP, run compiles and tests on it via SSH, and everything is still nice and setup and running when I get home later :)

(anything big gets tossed on clusters miles away anyway so it doesnt exactly bother me to do the same thing on a smaller scale with my own personal machines, YMMV)

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Anyone ever wonder why the folks who bash the "need" for a mac pro are trolling in the mac pro section of the forum in the first place? :rolleyes:

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
In short don't put the iMac in full direct sunlight and it is an excellent screen. Yes there is always ways to improve things. But it's way better then the matte white iMac screen. I'd not have believed you in 2006. I got my white iMac cause I didn't like the (at the time) rumoured glossy screens. But now after using one I'd not go back. Glossy all the way.

And that is your opinion and it is wrong. (Because I said so!)

Also why do people always assume us glassy-haters are stupid enough to place our screens facing a 7ft window? My 2007 iMac was in the corner of a room with no directly light source hitting it and I could still see my beautiful face in any dark gray or black areas of photos/designs I was working on. Some people may be able to crank up the brightness to 100% and live with scorched eyes to reduce glare/reflections but for design work it has to be much, much lower and that was an annoying issue with glare/reflections.

mayhone1

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Wisconsin
Anyone think the Mac pro update will come with a price change, and how much do you think that change will be? I really want one but the $2500 starting price needs to change before I can get a new model.
:apple:

BBriggs

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2011
London
Mac Pro already pulled from retail store

I was in Brent Cross in London today and the Mac Pros were missing and I was told they were 'discontinued'.

Hope I was misinformed and this was a retail space issue but the guy seemed pretty sure of it.

Bummer, mine is 2 years old, got it to replaced my same form factor G5 and I can't see going to a Mac Mini when the time comes.

Plus I have a PC video editing friend I was just hoping to switch over and now this makes mac seem even less pro...where the roots were.

What is happening?

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
try working on location with that rational, like outside on a photoshoot or movie

Location work: That's what the quad 15" and 17" MBPs are for....

That would be why those are offered in Matte screen.

Not Thunderbolt displays/iMacs.

mayhone1

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Wisconsin
I was in Brent Cross in London today and the Mac Pros were missing and I was told they were 'discontinued'.

Hope I was misinformed and this was a retail space issue but the guy seemed pretty sure of it.

Bummer, mine is 2 years old, got it to replaced my same form factor G5 and I can't see going to a Mac Mini when the time comes.

Plus I have a PC video editing friend I was just hoping to switch over and now this makes mac seem even less pro...where the roots were.

What is happening?

This may be proof of a re-designed model with a new name, or at the very least new internals with a new name, don't worry yet.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007

What is happening?

I would not be surprised at all if the retail stores stopped carrying the MP's. Pretty much already the case at most retail Apple stores aside from a cursory demo model. I wouldn't read to much into this yet.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I would not be surprised at all if the retail stores stopped carrying the MP's. Pretty much already the case at most retail Apple stores aside from a cursory demo model. I wouldn't read to much into this yet.
True when the Apple Store opened at my area there was one single Mac Pro.
Its still there. But if you hit any of the older Mac stores (older vendors), you can sit and play with a few.
Ive always thought that MP were BTO anyway.
Ive never ordered a standard MP in my life.
Ive ordered over 2 dozen in my lifetime due to work.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Evidently the online store didn't get that memo:

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro

Probably pretty sure they were removing it from display so can get "hotter" Holiday gifts more display room. If he had bothered to check the ordering system he wouldn't look so clueless. When Apple discontinues something there is a press release and/or it is gone from the stores (all of them.)

Most likely Apple is not making any more current model Mac Pros right now. At this point they need to do a inventory flush.

It also may turn out that Mac Pro disappear from most Apple stores. If the store sells 2-6 per year there really is very little need to display them. Some of these "trendy consumer malls" are highly unlikely places for people to go buy a Mac Pro. Apple may have delivery pick up from the stores but doesn't make sense to use up display space for something people in the store don't buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.