Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Note: I posted this in the wrong forum before, hopefully this is where it belongs

As the title says I make extensions for the launcher Alfred's Powerpack. I have just started out but am offering to make anything that sounds interesting to me. My existing few are here (I hope you like them).

All extensions are free of course.

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
For those who don't want to look through the blog, here is a summary of some of the extensions:

Windows Booter (my favourite) boots you straight into Boot Camp but doesn't set it as the default.

Consider Unpausing, pauses iTunes and reminds you in 5 minutes. Perfect for when you stop to watch a quick clip online.

Snap! Takes a picture with your iSight or FaceTime camera and saves it to the desktop with no need to open Photo Booth.

London Tube, uses Growl to show you the status of all the London Tube lines.

Time Somewhere, uses Growl to tell you the time anywhere in the world.

gødspeed

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Oregon
I'd love to have a Reminders extension, like Siri but text-based on a computer. Even more awesome would be if it could parse text input.

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I'd love to have a Reminders extension, like Siri but text-based on a computer. Even more awesome would be if it could parse text input.

There are a few options now already, for example:

You can use this to add a reminder in your iOS reminders list.

Or you can use QuickCal which has its own smart reminders functionality. You might want to create a new reminders calendar in iCal just for this. QuickCal does fantastic natural language parsing and can easily work with Alfred.

You could also create a task in any number of task managers using existing Alfred extensions. For example there is one for Wunderlist.

NogbadTheBad

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
United Kingdom

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I downloaded Time Somewhere the other day and tweaked it to remove the | that wolfram pops in the search results :-

Code:
RESULT=$(php -f wolfram.php -- "time in{query}");

TIME=$(echo $RESULT | cut -d '|' -f 1)
DATE=$(echo $RESULT | cut -d '|' -f 2)

echo $TIME
echo $DATE

Here's a few of my extensions :-

http://www.zen28953.zen.co.uk/Alfred/Index.html

Or just
Code:
echo -e $(echo $(php -f wolfram.php -- "time in {query}") | sed 's/| /\\n/g')

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
A nice commenter just noticed that there was no download link for Windows Booter (oops!). I've put one up, hopefully not too many people just left the site after that :(

touficjohn

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2011
I like the London Tube extension! Thanks!

Is there a way to have Alfred add an item to a list on Grocery IQ's web site?

I don't use the service myself but a quick check on their website reveals no API, e-mail in service or any other sort of hooks that would allow you to add tasks via Alfred...

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
I like the London Tube extension! Thanks!

I don't use the service myself but a quick check on their website reveals no API, e-mail in service or any other sort of hooks that would allow you to add tasks via Alfred...

Thanks for taking the time to check it out - pity there doesn't seem to be a way. Their iOS app works really well with their web site, being able to add items to a list with a few keystrokes would be really nice. Oh Well, not that big a deal really.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
This might not be as useful as some of those others, but it would be awesome to be able to use a command to run an audio file, preferably in the background.

For example: I work in an open office with lots of conversation and... sometimes 'crickets' is an appropriate response to some comments.

edit: I guess this is already possible with a simple terminal command afplay. For anyone interested, it's afplay path.

Last edited:

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
There is now an alternative version of Time Somewhere which shows the place in the Growl output. This is a rewrite still using @jdfwarrior's script but now has an applescript behind it.

Last edited:

adamtheturtle

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
All the shell extensions now have support for the Extension Updater extension so if you redownload them and download Extension Updater then you'll save some time and not be left behind.

ryanlyma

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
Hey adamtheturtle,

Thanks for the extensions. I love your work.

I was just wondering if it is possible to make a Retina Display size change Alfred extension? I am constantly switching between the 1920, 1680, 1440 resolution, and a quick call using "retina -1 -2 -3 -4 -5" for the different displat config would be great.

Another idea for an extension would be "facetime {name}"

thanks so much!

swizard

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2011
Note: I posted this in the wrong forum before, hopefully this is where it belongs

As the title says I make extensions for the launcher Alfred's Powerpack. I have just started out but am offering to make anything that sounds interesting to me. My existing few are here (I hope you like them).

All extensions are free of course.

Hi! I'm new to Macs and I LOVE Alfred! It's probably bought me over from PC's forever lol.

I was wondering can you please help make some sort of extension for Sport Schedule and scores? Perhaps with Growl if that's easier or even without if that's easier.

For example, if I go to Google and just type "Lakers Schedule". I just a result from Google itself with the upcoming 3-4 games. And If I type "Lakers Score", it'll give me the score by quarter for the current game if one is being played or for the past several games if no game is currently in play.

If you can get this to work etc. then I have one more request. Is there a way you can make it so like I have the option to kind of constantly query whatever API or source that Google or another site is getting it's game/schedule information so that say every 30 seconds (or however long I set it for) I'll get a growl notification of the score and game time update?

Thank you so much! I just follow a lot of sports but due to work I often cannot watch games. However, I make it point to try and keep up with the scores/schedules etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.