Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The team at Brightwurks took some time away from developing useful web-apps to create this unique piece of artwork. The letterpress poster contains a stylized version of the text from Apple's famous Think Different ad. The poster is 10" x 26" and printed on 100% cotton, handmade Arches 140# paper.
Like so many, we've been deeply inspired by this quote. With the recent passing of Steve Jobs, we decided to create something that could hang in the office, commemorating an innovator and challenging us daily to "think different".
Brightwurks promises that 100% of the profits from the poster will be donated to the Acumen Fund, which "exists to end worldwide poverty by investing in sustainable entrepreneurial projects and breakthrough ideas."

crazyones.jpg

The poster is available for a limited time, $95 + $10 shipping unframed, or $195 + $25 shipping framed.

Orders will be shipped the week of December 12, but can only be shipped to addresses within the United States.

Update: Brightwurks has discontinued sales of the poster, saying "we have been asked (kindly) not to sell the poster any longer. So sorry for the inconvenience, thanks for all the incredible support."

Article Link: Brightwurks Debuts 'Here's to the Crazy Ones' Letterpress Poster for Charity [Update: Pulled]

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
This poster is neither a misfit nor a rebel. It looks exactly like every designer's font-masturbation first-attempt poster.

devinstan

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I like it but for $95.00 I do not. I would buy just to donate to charity glad its not just for pure profit. Good idea for anyone wanting to make something at home too.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
Maybe I'm missing something, but since there is a quotation sign at the beginning, shouldn't there be one at the end? :confused: Or is it just there to symbolize that its a quote?

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
This poster is neither a misfit nor a rebel. It looks exactly like every designer's font-masturbation first-attempt poster.

My initial reaction on seeing the poster was positive - but then I realized that's purely because the underlying quote is excellent. A moment longer to think, and you're absolutely right. The visual is amateur and uninspired, and it doesn't do the quote justice.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
The only way I ever want to experience this quote is the audio recording of Jobs himself saying it.

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
Maybe I'm missing something, but since there is a quotation sign at the beginning, shouldn't there be one at the end? :confused: Or is it just there to symbolize that its a quote?

Exactly what I thought. My initial impression was that I liked this, but the more I look at it, the more I think it's just lazy typography.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Along with the horrid typography, the quote mark and Steve Jobs' name at the bottom give the impression that he wrote this - which he did not (though he did provide input).

rediffusion

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2006
Fairfield, CT
It would be cool if it was illustrating various words or phrases but it doesn't read easily as a 70+ word quote. It looks decent but isn't functional as it's so difficult to read as a cohesive sentence (or should that be sentences? - there's no punctuation.) Jobs would have sent this back to the drawing board as it fails on the first, basic level - readability.

EnergonCube

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
Great quote, crappy poster. Designers need to stop trolling ffffound and/or sites like it for their inspiration. I see a LOT of the same these days and this poster is just more proof of that.

This could have been set in Helvetica bold and looked a hell of lot nicer and more appropriate to Steve's legacy.

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Does your printer support charities?

No, but it does deliver direct to your home.

As someone who lives in the UK, printing is the _only_ option. I honestly might have splurged, given the charity aspect, if they shipped internationally.

David

Last edited:

Tampa Tom

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Steve would HATE this

...way too many fonts and styles used. The poster layout is completely opposite of what Steve valued.

lucasmonger

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Illinois
hate it

The commercial was great. It became the credo of a reinvented company that would completely replace an operating system, give us a new way to listen to music, reinvent the mobile industry, and change the computing form factor.

The poster itself has absolutely horrendous typography that does not embody anything Apple, except for the words. I hope Apple attorneys send Brightwurks a cease and desist letter for infringing on Apple's copyrighted material

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
http://www.crazyonesquote.com/ said:
We can only ship to addresses within the United States.
- What a load of crap. Anyone can ship anything anywhere if they want to - it's just a matter of money.

I might have bought it if they would sell it to me...

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
It's a worthwhile poster to have, given the sentiment, but I agree that it's way too overdone. I worked in the stationery/print market for years and this looks like what was done 10 years ago. I can see a commercial poster company producing this "quote" as a typical offset printed piece - maybe make it a single line horizontal piece that measures 10' wide? It's deserving of being made differently...

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

orangezorki said:
Does your printer support charities?

No, but it does deliver direct to your home.

As someone who lives in the UK, printing is the _only_ option. I honestly might have splurged, given the charity aspect, if they shipped internationally.

David

Exactly. I would buy it but they only ship to the U.S?????? Geezus its 2011 why cant they post non framed worldwide???? So right click is our only option i believe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.