Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Apple needs to fix their displays FIRST before letting us run 3 at a time.

Glossy screens? No thanks. Give us matte finish or shut up.

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

One detail of the report that bears special attention is the fact that the Ivy Bridge platform, both mobile and desktop, will support up to three independent displays, with one of those displays being an internal one.

So... Ivy Mac Pros will have an internal display? :p

----------

Yay! Screw practicality and eyestrain, with three screens nobody can doubt my awesomeness!

You could set two up for video editing timelines/color correction, then spin over to another part of your desk with a monitor + a bunch of audio peripherals...

It's not about what you should do, it's what you can do.

biggreydog

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2010
If the monitors can get their own power supply, I don't understand why you can't have an infinite number of monitors connected, provided they're sharing the same image. If you have different images, I can see the GPU getting taxed pretty quickly. The subject picture suggests we're talking about mirroring, instead of expanding the desktop.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Seems like overkill on a MBA given that the graphics will choke doing a video with moderate amt of transitions or special fx. Seems like something only a masochist would want to try out.

If the monitors can get their own power supply, I don't understand why you can't have an infinite number of monitors connected, provided they're sharing the same image. If you have different images, I can see the GPU getting taxed pretty quickly. The subject picture suggests we're talking about mirroring, instead of expanding the desktop.

Why would anyone need or want to mirror to a 3rd monitor?

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
@$MacUser$: Two identical posts in two threads. What are you pushing?

You don't seem to be wrong, but can't see a reason for posting the same thing twice?

My post got buried in the other discussion, and when this one came up on the front page it seemed better oriented for that post. So rather than type a slightly different one I just copy and pasted.

Not trying to push anything, just trying to spurn discussion and have some clarity shed on an issue I'm still trying to work out for myself (i.e., will Ivy Bridge meet the hype?).

May the forum gods strike me dead for my transgression....

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
Screw it, we're doing 5 screens!

(http://onion.com/bWBRid)

Haha, nice sig!

This is nice but doesn't make a ton of sense since Lion is so anti multiple monitors.

I am about to upgrade my Mac Pro video workstation with dual Cinema Displays to Lion and FCP X and I am seriously considering ditching the Cinema Displays and just getting one 27" LED Cinema Display because Lion is catered so much that way. :confused:

Sucks that the Mac Pro doesn't have thunderbolt. :(

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Honestly the air barely manages to drive a TB display, I don't even want to imagine two of them... What a torture.

FWIW, my 11” Air drives an external display (DisplayPort to HDMI projector) via Thunderbolt really well.

Haha, nice sig!

This is nice but doesn't make a ton of sense since Lion is so anti multiple monitors.

I am about to upgrade my Mac Pro video workstation with dual Cinema Displays to Lion and FCP X and I am seriously considering ditching the Cinema Displays and just getting one 27" LED Cinema Display because Lion is catered so much that way. :confused:

Sucks that the Mac Pro doesn't have thunderbolt. :(

Lion apps’ new full-screen mode definitely needs multiple-monitor support, at least allowing other apps to use your other screens (and I suspect that will come in time). But I haven’t noticed any other Lion/multi-monitor issues, and full-screen mode is optional (you can always maximize the window as an alternative). I really like Lion in general, so if FCP X meets your needs, I say go for it!

P.S. I like that Lion lets you put different desktop pictures on different displays AND different Spaces. So I have two spaces and two displays, and I can have 4 different desktop pictures to keep myself oriented. (I don’t think Snow Leopard would do that.)

Last edited:

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
Damnit! I was hoping for support for this...
multidesk.jpg

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
That's great... however, until Mac OSX actually gets real multiple display capabilities, and not by making the other displays an extension of a 'central' display.

uwbadger

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
The entire situation is a novelty to begin with.

Maybe for you. At work, I have an MBP with two external displays (a fairly large Dell on the mini displayport, a smaller Dell on a USB displaylink) in addition to the MBP screen. As a programmer, I'd love to have even more screen real estate, since I usually have a dozen or two files open in emacs (2 frames/4 windows), 3 or 4 terminal windows, my mail/calendar client, a web browser, etc. At a given time, I might be actively looking at 2 or 3 files, a terminal or two, and the web browser. One monitor isn't enough. Two large monitors would suffice. Three Cinema displays would be ideal.

floling

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
I'll never find my mouse ..... holy **** ;-)

btw. just kiddin' --- well most of it!

----------

oh.. doin the math:
you have 3 screens, 5 desktops, 16 spaces..
do you need a map do gather 'round? ;-)
it's a maze!

cheers

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
My MBA has no problem with video. What are some of you on ?

Basic video isn't going be a problem but if you are adding in a lot of GPU intensive fx or using Motion there is no way an MBA won't choke. I can say this with confidence because I have an early 2011 15" MBP that does choke in Motion as soon as my segment gets moderately complex... and that's just w/ 2D camera view.

That's not to knock the MBA, but it it's not made to be a video editing machine. It's a general purpose computer.

$MacUser$

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2005
Los Angeles
That's not to knock the MBA, but it it's not made to be a video editing machine. It's a general purpose computer.

+1

I'm still trying to figure out why everyone's going nuts over Ivy Bridge in the MBA, when in reality it's a consumer-level computer designed for consumer-level tasks. If you're really throttling the thing to the point where Ivy Bridge would make a notable difference, you should probably be on a MBP in the first place.

I know, I know...there's a certain small subset of the mac-using population that might wring some actual use out of Ivy Bridge. But I'd bet most of those waiting with baited breath are chasing a phantom, as has been the case for pretty much every rumor I've followed on this site for the better part of a decade.

At the end of the day IB is going to be an ULV processor in a compact, consumer computer. It's not going to revolutionize anything...just an incremental tic-up in the MBA evolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.