Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I just got my new 15" MBP with antiglare screen yesterday, and after I took it out of the plastic wrapping, I noticed some black gunk along the bezel and a smudge on the LCD. So I took a 70% isopropyl alcohol swab and used it to clean the bezel and LCD. Now I found an Apple article where it says "don't use alcohol" to clean displays. Do you think I might have hurt the LCD?

Last edited:

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
If you have glass then I wouldn't worry about it. If it's antiglare then i'd start to panic and probably hyperventilate.

Wafflausages

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Once shouldn't hurt, even better that you used a lower %. Its just not recommended since alcohol will wear away coatings on the glass. Also don't use windex. I use lens cleaner for my screen

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
@slapple:

I use a 50 % ethylalcohol / 50 % water mixture for the aluminum parts, the glass trackpad and my mouse, after regular cleaning with a wet cloth (just a low amount of water) and a try cloth. The unibody, mouse and the keyboard tolerate this, because they are designed to resist a certain amount of acids, alcohols and other natural occurring chemicals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.