Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Click for full size​
As noted by iPhoneinCanada, Apple has submitted revised plans for their so-called "Spaceship" campus proposal. The massive new campus is expected to provide Apple with approximately 2.8 million square feet for up to 13,000 employees. Steve Jobs personally presented the original plans to the City of Cupertino in June. Jobs described it as follows:
It's a pretty amazing building. It's a little like a spaceship landed. It's got this gorgeous courtyard in the middle... It's a circle. It's curved all the way around. If you build things, this is not the cheapest way to build something. There is not a straight piece of glass in this building. It's all curved. We've used our experience making retail buildings all over the world now, and we know how to make the biggest pieces of glass in the world for architectural use. And, we want to make the glass specifically for this building here. We can make it curve all the way around the building... It's pretty cool.
With the exception of the rendering included above, many of the other renderings appear the same as the previous images released. The newly revised documents do include detailed floorplans of how the 4 story building will be laid out. If all goes as planned, the structure could be complete by 2015.

Article Link: Apple Submits Revised Plans and Renderings for Apple's New Campus

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Environmentally friendly, led backlit? Solar powered?
Self sustained ecosystem?

This building is going to be amazing!
I would love to go work there, even if it's just sweeping the floors.

supremedesigner

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2005
Sexy mama!

I believe this will be the most visit place on the planet of the earth. We shall see. :D There is no other building as unique, creative, etc. as like this. I don't mind stopping there one day to visit :)

Macbmw

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2011
Cool building

This is a nice building. I wish the AirPort Extreme had the same shape. That would be a cool thing. Just a thought in my mind. lol

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
Why does Apple not make it taller, say 10 or even 100 stories? It will look a lot better if it is built much taller.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Just watched a couple of minutes of Steve's presentation to the Cupertino city, and it sends shivers done my spine. He is just so focused in his delivery, and has laser like vision. Can't wait for this building to be done, should be nice!

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I see that the roof appears darker than previous renderings. They must have decided to go with more of a dark linen look.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Stargate_Blueprint_mini_001.jpg

FredTheDeadHead

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2011
SoCal
Just in case you missed some of the significance, the first public presentation of this building to the Cupertino city council was the very last time that Steve Jobs was seen in public.

So in a way, this will be a tribute building to Steve, at least as much as a headquarters.

ramuman

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2005
Why does Apple not make it taller, say 10 or even 100 stories? It will look a lot better if it is built much taller.

None of the major headquarters in the bay area are in tall buildings. Intel's, Google's, Oracle's, and Apple's current. Several reasons...earthquakes, the buildings are much farther spread out than in crowded city, etc.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just reviewed the plans, and wow, does this place look spectacular. Honestly it looks like the sort of thing that can lift off and comfortably accommodate a large number of space goers. Can't wait to see what they develop in there. Oh, an I noticed a town hall or presentation building adjacent to the spaceship. For unveiling awesome new stuff, I'm sure.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Matthew Yohe said:
I see that the roof appears darker than previous renderings. They must have decided to go with more of a dark linen look.

It's covered in photovoltaic panels.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
This includes new information detailing the tree landscaping around the building. Lots of apricot near the visitor parking lot (orange colored circles) and in the circle. And an apple orchard near the dining area (yellow circles).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-12-06 at 11-1.11.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-12-06 at 11-1.11.28 PM.png
    725.7 KB · Views: 376
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.