Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBookit3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I have been reading this site since getting a iBook given to me a month ago. It came with panther and tiger disk. This is the first computer that is just mine and im trying to make it as fast as possible. I know that i need more ram and a faster hard drive but those will have to wait. I read here that panther is faster than tiger with a g3.

my ibook will not connect to wifi when panther is installed. It has no problem when booted to tiger. I did several google searches and the only post I find are really old ones to connect to a collage network.

Using internet connect and 802.1x Im confused about what I put in configuration and user name. It gets stuck on authenticating.

please help

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Can you post the specs? Anyway run Tiger on it, I used to have an iBook G3, I tried both Panther & Tiger on it and Tiger is far superior in nearly every way. But if you do decide to run Panther for whatever reason, the only thing I can think of is maybe go to Apple Software Update and see if the AirPort utility is up to date, also, just to be safe, check if the AirPort card is fully in.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm not sure, but I don't think Panther has WPA. I think that came along with Tiger. If the network is using WPA security and Panther only has WEP that would explain why you can't connect.

I don't know about speed, but Panther was mind-numbingly boring. Stable, but boring.

skinniezinho

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Using internet connect and 802.1x Im confused about what I put in configuration and user name. It gets stuck on authenticating.

please help

I guess that is your problem.From what I remember from my ibook g3, there was an update that "made" tiger support 802.1x, and guess it didn't happen to panther.

Panther Known Issues:
The following issues exist with Mac OS X Panther 10.3:

Client doesn't auto-connect on boot or login.

Panther (10.3) contains a bug where the operating system fails to authenticate to 802.1x enabled networks on login, including bootup. What's worse is that the Airport menu item will associate to the network, so the Airport Menu Item shows association. One thing that users should be aware of is that association does not indicate network connectivity. To ensure that an 802.1x authentication has succeeded, open Internet Connect and click on the 802.1x icon.

After login, if a network is chosen from the Airport Menu Item, networks will be authenticated to automatically, which is the desired behavior upon login as well. The login bug has been reported to Apple. In the mean time, use Internet Connect if you suspect that you are not authenticated to the network.

Misconfiguration can occur due to a bug in the 802.1x client.

If the Panther 802.1x client is not configured properly for TTLS->PAP, or if settings are changed in a certain way it is possible to reset the TTLS inner authentication type to MSCHAPv2. This is a bug, and it has been reported to Apple. To ensure that your configuration does not get reset, please only configure 802.1x settings from the Edit Configuration sheet. If you edit any of the settings in the 802.1x authentication window, such as your username, password, or network name, and then tell Internet Connect to save your configuration, the TTLS inner type will reset to MSCHAPv2.

I don't know about your ibook, but mine (12',g3 800mhz,ATI graphic card,512mb pc133+soldered ram,40Gb hdd) was +- the same speed in tiger and panther.
With panter it was a pain to find a .docx compatible office suite, for tiger there are lots of them.

iBookit3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for all of the help. Its a 5oo mhz with 320 mb of ram. I did the software update and that fixed my problem. For me Panther works a little bit faster especially when scrolling. Panther also boots twice as fast. i will try tiger again after I get more ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.