Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Forbes reports on a new research note from Wedge Partners analyst Brian Blair suggesting that Apple may bring some aspects of its rumored television set to the iMac with a revision in the first half of next year.
Blair envisions the company pushing the largest screen sizes of the iMac toward the TV market by integrating Apple TV and iCloud features into a slimmer all-in-one PC with TV capabilities.

"We think this makes sense because while we typically think about the newest TV's hanging on the wall in large form factors, Apple could effectively start with what they already have on the manufacturing line and slowly push their offering from 27 inches and scale up from there to 32 inches and then move on to the 42, 50 and 55 inch market," he writes. "In short, we believe the initial Apple TV is their iMac computer that can function as a TV, over the iCloud platform."
While the full context of the claim is not included in the Forbes report, the claim is referred to as "speculation" on Blair's part and no specific evidence to support it is offered.

imac_apple_tv.jpg

Apple had previous offered its "Front Row" software for OS X, providing users with a full-screen media display to allow easy access to content while interacting with their Mac via the remote control previously included with most Macs. Front Row debuted on the iMac in 2005 and made its way throughout Apple's Mac lines, but was gradually phased out until it was completely removed in OS X Lion.

Apple is said to be developing a television set product featuring Siri-powered voice input, with a release rumored for late 2012 or 2013. An iMac offering some of that television functionality could bridge the gap to the dedicated television set, with the 21.5-inch and 27-inch screens on the iMac suitable for smaller-scale television settings.

Article Link: Next-Generation iMac to Potentially Offer Television Functionality?

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Nice to know that you just need a company to give you the title of analyst and whatever thoughts you put down about Apple will end up on Macrumors. Something for the youth of America to strive for I think.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Having a true TV tuner in an iMac wouldn't be seen as a bad thing for me. While I don't watch TV (OTA or Cable), having the built in option would be nice.

Combine that with Multi-Touch, it would be a nice device to have on the kitchen wall for various purposes.

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
It's definitely interesting, but I'm not sure if I buy it.

An ideal location to place a desktop would not be the ideal location for TV. If they can bring this to the iMac via software update then that's great, but I'd still have a "real" TV.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Apple will integrate TV functionality into the new Xserve machines due in Febtober.

-Adam Kempenich, Analyst

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
As someone who just bought the lasted update to the iMac line-I would welcome this television integration.

We have our current imac in the study room which we use for our guests. As we have no TV in that room; this would come in handy as the iMac would then be called into service as television.

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
It's about time Apple brought a tv tuner back to the mac. Back in 1995, my first Mac was a 7500 power PC from Apple that could record and watch tv on.

Since then, Apple hasn't added that feature. Hope this rumor is true.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Next iMacs will draw energy directly from the sun and the excess energy will be stored for night sessions, says Troll Toddington, analyst.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
This makes a lot of sense. Most rooms in my house that have iMacs (garage, guest bathrooms, den, study, library, secret passageways in between the den study and library, servants quarters, and Bat Cave) are not wired for satellite or cable television and have a hard time pulling in an OTA HD signal. This would be perfect.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
This makes more sense than a dedicated TV. My wife and I love using our 27" for hulu and netflix through plex as well as HBOGO.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I doubt I'd want to use such a feature on my iMac. I still prefer to watch shows on my dedicated TV, while sitting on the couch or my recliner. I don't watch long videos, TV shows or movies at my computer desk.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Just to get it out of the way.

Blu Ray????

*crickets*

Negative so no?

Last edited:

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
I think it will be the iPhone 6GSS with a smooth glass lens attachement that projects television sized images from the backside of it. This is after they make the Retina-Retina display of the iPhone. This will give the iPhone a 4k display resolution.

Please publish my Analysis post haste:

Chester T. Copperpot, CTA
Goonie Tech Analysts Unlimited, GmbH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.