Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
No disrespect Ron, but you're way out of line.

The end users have commented saying they dont like it. These are the people that are going to be potential customers.

You've then jumped in basically telling everyone they are idiots because they cant critique it as they have no idea about the field.

You then stamp down an opinion that it IS good, despite not providing any form of credentials or proof that you know better than anyone else.

Looking at your work, you're in no place to decide that peoples opinions are wrong. If you like it, thats great. I've got no doubts that the designer spent a lot of time on it. That doesn't make it good. People have different tastes, just because you think its a masterpiece, it doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong.

My personal opinion: I dont like it. It gives the impression that the author has tried too hard to incorporate all those different typesets, and personally I dont think they have arranged it as best as they could. IMO this one is better: http://www.flickr.com/photos/charliecurve/6215771597/

Finally, in future you dont need to go spouting off about how you dabble in design and such - nobody here is a judge, and absolutely everything is personal opinion, not fact - including this very post, although calling all the members a bunch of geeks is pretty damn hypocritical. I do agree about the crummy vBulletin forum skin though. I'd personally be using XenForo....beautiful system.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
No disrespect Ron, but you're way out of line.

The end users have commented saying they dont like it. These are the people that are going to be potential customers.

You've then jumped in basically telling everyone they are idiots because they cant critique it as they have no idea about the field.

You then stamp down an opinion that it IS good, despite not providing any form of credentials or proof that you know better than anyone else.

Looking at your work, you're in no place to decide that peoples opinions are wrong. If you like it, thats great. I've got no doubts that the designer spent a lot of time on it. That doesn't make it good. People have different tastes, just because you think its a masterpiece, it doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't agree with you is wrong.

My personal opinion: I dont like it. It gives the impression that the author has tried too hard to incorporate all those different typesets, and personally I dont think they have arranged it as best as they could. IMO this one is better: http://www.flickr.com/photos/charliecurve/6215771597/

Finally, in future you dont need to go spouting off about how you dabble in design and such - nobody here is a judge, and absolutely everything is personal opinion, not fact - including this very post, although calling all the members a bunch of geeks is pretty damn hypocritical. I do agree about the crummy vBulletin forum skin though. I'd personally be using XenForo....beautiful system.

Completely disagree with you. I think Ron is one of the few that has attempted to give a valuable critique of this. It might not have been phrased in the best manner, but the vitriol of the first few commentators prompted this. It is fine to have an opinion and preference. Not everyone is going to like or love this. However, there are many on this thread that are guilty of trying to critique, rather than criticise, something which they likely know little of.

Or is every poster in this thread a master of typography and design?

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I have my doubts that this artwork is in good taste, but I should probably keep my mouth shut because I'm no expert at velvet painting... Very professionally done, though! :rolleyes:

dogs%20playing%20poker.jpg

This is the way I would do it...

As I am getting at above, I don't think anyone has to prove they can do better just to render an opinion on something - but IMHO that is a much better effort and could've been an actual ad 20 years ago. Nice work. The text-as-shape concept is not new (I have even done it myself for posters) but it works here and what makes this better than the charity poster is that it doesn't unsuccessfully attempt to rely on the font itself to be the art component.

In fact, if you want something tangible as an attack on the charity poster, that's it - the fonts are simply randomly distributed, and each line's font doesn't appear to have anything to do with its verbiage. Ed Ruscha has a deeper message when he disassociates the typography from the text. These guys simply appear to have said "okay, we just used a thin, san serif font, now we need a really fat one with huge serifs on the next line." How very professional...

Last edited:

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Seems pointless to me...

Someone said something then someone typed it out making use of their font library.
Then charge a massive fee for it potentially out-pricing a mass market, and potentially minimising the amount of money raised for charity.
Maybe print it on some fancy stock, maybe frame it, but don't post it outside the states.

Here's my effort. You can buy the file from me and print it on whatever you like. I'll donate 50% of my profits to charity. How is that any different? etc.

What a load of...how do you Americans say? Baloney.

Attachments

• Apple Quote WATERMARK.jpg
    Apple Quote WATERMARK.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 212

Reddmanz

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
I personally really like it. But living in the UK means its just join got be a desktop background :/

pjo

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2006
... bashing a very well done piece of typographic work.

Ok, for the non graphics/design inclined like myself - what exactly makes this piece "well done"? No, I'm not being sacarstic, I'm genuinely curious. So far the main reasons I've seen being pushed is that:
  • it's classy / represents typical typography of the time
  • the fonts seem to punctuate the phrases.

beyond that, all I've seen are comments like "I know what I'm saying, you don't and I say this is great typography" without bothering to tell us why

catalystwork

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
As much as I respect your credentials, you don't need a doctorate to have good taste. This is tacky, and I don't need to explain why, nor does anyone in this thread.

In all honesty, I've been using image manipulation software and enjoying art since I was 12, but again, credentials are meaningless here.

Saying that you don't like it or find it tacky are personal judgements and opinions that everyone is entitled to have and share with the the same weight and respect.

I only meant the criticisms towards those who would assign empirical judgements about the quality of the typography, particularly those calling it "template" or "lazy". I would hazard a guess that none of those people have spent much time typesetting to make such reckless and erroneous judgements without qualification.

My apologies to any and all who felt I was saying "I am a professional designer, therefore my taste is more important than yours". I didn't mean that at all. There is no accounting for taste. We like what we like, and don't have to justify it to anyone, I agree.

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Saying that you don't like it or find it tacky are personal judgements and opinions that everyone is entitled to have and share with the the same weight and respect.

I only meant the criticisms towards those who would assign empirical judgements about the quality of the typography, particularly those calling it "template" or "lazy". I would hazard a guess that none of those people have spent much time typesetting to make such reckless and erroneous judgements without qualification.

My apologies to any and all who felt I was saying "I am a professional designer, therefore my taste is more important than yours". I didn't mean that at all. There is no accounting for taste. We like what we like, and don't have to justify it to anyone, I agree.
Understood, thanks for the clarification. I think I'm personally sore about the design because it wouldn't work anywhere in my house. Some people who have posted here have made enjoying or not enjoying this poster not so much fun. It's like walking into a Guitar Center, finding a guitar you think is ugly looking, and having a rep come over and say "You don't know anything about guitars, how can you possibly not like that? You couldn't even tell me why it's not a good design, could you? SHOW MEH CREDENSHULLS".

Haha, sheesh.

catalystwork

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2011
Ok, for the non graphics/design inclined like myself - what exactly makes this piece "well done"? No, I'm not being sacarstic, I'm genuinely curious. So far the main reasons I've seen being pushed is that:
  • it's classy / represents typical typography of the time
  • the fonts seem to punctuate the phrases.

beyond that, all I've seen are comments like "I know what I'm saying, you don't and I say this is great typography" without bothering to tell us why

I can tell you that is a tough style to work in, as it creates a myriad of interdependant negative space problems that have to be addressed. In this regard, the piece does a good job, not a great job, but a good job.

The pacing of the piece and the punctuation, which is to say how the layout makes you read it, is great in my mind. It imposes a very expressive read of the text, that works quite well in my opinion.

the overall visual balance is also good, although I would have liked to see better rhythm with the negative space.

"Classy" doesn't factor in for me. That would be more of a personal judgement, and it doesn't necessarily make it "good". I brought up the period piece aesthetic comment only to point out that it does not purport to be original. That doesn't make it any better or worse, necessariily.

Ironically, I did a piece like this as a student about a decade ago. I dug up an old image and attached it for fun. When you read it, you can tell it is student quality work. There is nowhere near the level of punctuation, expressiveness, or risks taken when you compare it to the letterpress piece.

Attachments

• York---Cyberdadafuturist-Manifesto.jpg
    York---Cyberdadafuturist-Manifesto.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 208

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I don't think the design is as bad as many on here are making it out to be. It's pretty difficult to make a typography poster that has a good balance of sizes, fonts, expressiveness, positive/negative space, etc... I've made these types of posters before and it was much more difficult than I anticipated it to be.

While this particular poster isn't amazing (and some things like stating the quote is from Steve Jobs irks me), it does a pretty good job... And it has a lot of character to it. I'll even dare say it's better than many of the alternates posted here. Yes, it's not in the typical Apple style, but it doesn't have to be... not everything needs to be minimalistic, "classy," and made of glass and aluminum. What a boring world that would be!

However, I will say that at $95, it is a bit steep... but then again, it's for charity too so I guess it's okay.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
So, yes and no then.

yawn...

I don't think the design is as bad as many on here are making it out to be. It's pretty difficult to make a typography poster that has a good balance of sizes, fonts, expressiveness, positive/negative space, etc... I've made these types of posters before and it was much more difficult than I anticipated it to be.

While this particular poster isn't amazing (and some things like stating the quote is from Steve Jobs irks me), it does a pretty good job... And it has a lot of character to it. I'll even dare say it's better than many of the alternates posted here. Yes, it's not in the typical Apple style, but it doesn't have to be... not everything needs to be minimalistic, "classy," and made of glass and aluminum. What a boring world that would be!

However, I will say that at $95, it is a bit steep... but then again, it's for charity too so I guess it's okay.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Definitely not for me. Too much to look at, in my opinion. Font overload! lol.

As a designer the effort is appreciable, but it's just not attractive to me.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Whether people like the poster or not or whether they think it's well designed or not, I would only say that my dislike for it is related to the fact that I've seen far too many similarly designed pieces over the past 15 years working for a small chain of stationery stores that designed, manufactured and sold stationery and invitations. From in-house designers to third party products, this look has seen its day - at least for me it has.

I'm sure there are others who feel similarly and maybe are just trying too hard to explain the feeling in terms of font usage, spacing, etc.

It's an over-used design theme and even the use of letterpress, to me, is something that needs a break. I'm not saying that letterpress isn't a great print method, but it seems like every designer has jumped onto the letterpress bandwagon - which just further reinforces my feeling that this type of design theme is overdone.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
I LOVE it, and the personality it brings to the quote. I also think it will look great in between two of the "Think Different" Posters when put up on a wall. 100$ more for the frame is ridiculous though, at least all proceeds go to charity. :apple:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
"An unmatched left quote creates an unresolved tension that will stay with you all day.

Ron Adair

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
calling all the members a bunch of geeks is pretty damn hypocritical.

I disagree. First of all, allow me to clarify: I consider myself as much the 'geek' as those I label earlier, hence my presence here in the first place. 'Geek' was not used as an offensive term, but was rather meant as an ironic label for those engaging in the conversation.

The end users have commented saying they dont like it.

Pardon me, but that is NOT what a majority of the negative comments stated. If that had been the crux of their message, I would have never said a word. Instead, they attacked the pieces quality and level of skill employed, using the terms "crap", "font-masturbation first-attempt", "amateur and uninspired", "lazy", "horrid", "Not classy", "crappy", "Steve would HATE this", "horrendous", 'fitting of a cease and desist letter', "looks pretty poor", "Worst poster ever", "tacky", and yet a few folks (you included) have indicated that "credentials are meaningless here".

My response was probably a bit strong, but it could well be argued that it is perfectly balanced against the diatribes spewed against something that is technically and artistically well done.

The proper term is 'typefaces'. It's fine to have an opinion (and yours is noted) but many of the folks here are bashing a piece of work and calling it "poor" with absolutely no appreciable knowledge or background in design or typesetting. It's pretty easy to tell who is a designer and who is not simply by the terms they use and the tone of their attack.

I do agree about the crummy vBulletin forum skin though. I'd personally be using XenForo....beautiful system.

My main intent isn't to knock the choice of forum software or design of the site, but to highlight the paradox of critics who take offense to a piece of purportedly out of date artwork which is brought to them by a site that shares the look and feel of its ancestors 10 years past. Yes, it is the epitome of paradox.

Last edited:

fifthworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I disagree. First of all, allow me to clarify: I consider myself as much the 'geek' as those I label earlier, hence my presence here in the first place. 'Geek' was not used as an offensive term, but was rather meant as an ironic label for those engaging in the conversation.

Pardon me, but that is NOT what a majority of the negative comments stated. If that had been the crux of their message, I would have never said a word. Instead, they attacked the pieces quality and level of skill employed, using the terms "crap", "font-masturbation first-attempt", "amateur and uninspired", "lazy", "horrid", "Not classy", "crappy", "Steve would HATE this", "horrendous", 'fitting of a cease and desist letter', "looks pretty poor", "Worst poster ever", "tacky", and yet a few folks (you have included have indicated that "credentials are meaningless here".

My response was probably a bit strong, but it could well be argued that it is perfectly balanced against the diatribes spewed against something that is technically and artistically well done.

The proper term is 'typefaces'. It's fine to have an opinion (and yours is noted) but many of the folks here are bashing a piece of work and calling it "poor" with absolutely no appreciable knowledge or background in design or typesetting. It's pretty easy to tell who is a designer and who is not simply by the terms they use and the tone of their attack.

My main intent isn't to knock the choice of forum software or design of the site, but to highlight the paradox of critics who take offense to a piece of purportedly out of date artwork which is brought to them by a site that shares the look and feel of its ancestors 10 years past. Yes, it is the epitome of paradox.

It's all irrelevant, if the poster doesn't rise as much money it could have if designed differently, it's a design failure, regardless how much it showcases the technical and artistic abilities of their creators, or the lack of them.

VNederlander

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2011
Having spent nearly 20 years as a designer and Creative Director, I can say definitively that the one constant is the cattiness of designers. "I could do that better," seems to be the tagline of the designer world, where ego is everything and the worry of being proved wrong is non-existant, because what we do is completely subjective.

To be sure, there are some design choices that are universally reviled, and almost any amateur can pick out a piece that enjoyed care and thought vs. one that didn't.

This poster, as it seems many of you might have missed, evokes memories of the original Mac's wysiwyg font menu. If that was intended, I anticipate at least some of you would say, "oooOOOOooooh, NOW I get it." If it wasn't intended, it's a happy coincidence that it has deeper meaning than simply being an arrangement of display faces.

I, for one, like it. Would I have done any of it differently? Of course I would have, I'm a designer, and we don't leave things alone until they look right *to us*. But I didn't design this poster, so I don't get to make those choices. Instead, I get to appreciate the perspective of another designer, find the beauty in his (or her) choices, and decide whether it accomplishes its task. I feel this poster works well.

That said, $95 is a pretty big hit for a poster in this economy. One thing that ISN'T subjective is economics, and that price point is totally unrealistic, regardless of the printing process and paper used.

The bigger point though, is what I always tell my designers: design for meaning, design for beauty. NEVER for ego.

----------

I thought this poster looks cool.

I bought it.

Isn't that all that matters? If YOU like it?

(and for the record, I'm a full time artist.)

In the end, exactly. Yes. That is all that matters.

vinyl313

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Subjective

All these I'm right and you're wrong comments seem a little childish. Opinions are being expressed as fact. Someone factually declaring they have taste makes me question even more if they have any at all.

It seems to me that this poster is the artist's interpretation of the text. If you like the work or not is subjective. Sure, its certainly up for debate but there is a serious difference between:

"This poster is crap"
"My opinion is this poster is crap"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.