Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
IL, USA
What I would like to do is stream two different photo directories to 2 different ATV2 devices, not just the same one. I have searched and not been able to find a way to do this.

In other words, I would be using the same iTunes user account, have 2 ATV2 devices (one in office, one in family room) and want to send a different photo directory to each device. For example, all directories in my "family" photo would stream to the "family room" ATV2 and all directories in my "work" photos would steam to the "office" ATV2.

Not sure if this is even possible with iTunes, but wanted to find out.

rayyu882

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
I'm guessing for what you want to do likely won't work with 1 iTunes Library, you can run 2 iTunes libraries with the same user id, and have 2 sets of share photos, one for your office and the other for your family room.

But in order to run 2 libraries, you will need 2 computers up and running.

awair

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Is this an ATV2 only issue?

Is this question unique to the ATV2?

I have 2 ATV setup, and each gets a Photos tab where I can chose to sync to iPhoto or any other folder.

I haven't used my ATV2 yet, how do photos work? Does it use the 8GB cache, or does the PC/Mac have to be on 24/7?

rayyu882

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
Is this question unique to the ATV2?

I have 2 ATV setup, and each gets a Photos tab where I can chose to sync to iPhoto or any other folder.

I haven't used my ATV2 yet, how do photos work? Does it use the 8GB cache, or does the PC/Mac have to be on 24/7?

I don't know ATV1 enough so I'm not sure about the original ATV.

Basically in iTunes you can choose Advanced -> Choose Photos to Share... in this option you can pick directories or any iPhoto Albums to share to you Apple TV. And I believe the host computer will need to be on 24/7.

MacFanJeff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
IL, USA
Yes, the computer you are running must be on 24/7 running iTunes to work.

Also, rayyu882 is correct in that you can NOT do what I want to do using iTunes without having two computer running at the same time which is a HUGE waste. I would hope this is something Apple can add in the future as it would be a simple software solution. I just want to have two different directories (and their sub folders) sent to two different ATV2 in my family room and office.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
You don't necessarily need two computers running at the same time. You could use two different User Accounts on the same computer. That would work although not optimal.

And maybe you could utilize Photostream as the extra photo source but I'm not sure how that would work. Or share one of the directories to Flickr which the ATV2 supports.

awair

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Based on a tip seen elsewhere, how about copying the iTunes app to another folder and running 2 instances?

Slightly more elegant than two logons, but this may cause issues using a 2nd iTunes library file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.