Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2011, 02:42 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Official Xbox Live App Hits the iPad and iPhone

Microsoft has released an official Xbox Live iOS app. The free app, for iPhone and iPad, allows users to:
Quote:
- Read and send messages to Xbox 360 friends
- Manage your friends list, invite new friends,
- Read and Edit your full LIVE profile (name, bio, motto)
- Change your avatar features/items with the avatar closet
- View and compare your achievement progress with friends
Microsoft has released a number of iOS apps, but with millions of Xbox Live members, this may be the most popular yet.

My Xbox LIVE is available for iPhone and iPad free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Official Xbox Live App Hits the iPad and iPhone
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 02:48 PM   #2
cshearer
macrumors regular

Someone let a shrew into the garden.
cshearer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 02:49 PM   #3
TheOrioles33
macrumors 6502

Awesome!

Nevermind! Its not awesome! It wont let me log in. WTF?

ALRIGHT! You have to go to Xboxlive.com and agree to the new terms and all that. Then it works!

Its freaking cool!

Last edited by TheOrioles33; Dec 7, 2011 at 03:04 PM.
TheOrioles33 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 02:50 PM   #4
ugp
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
Not working for me... All I get is the following...

UPDATE: After a few tries it's working now...
Old Dec 7, 2011, 02:50 PM   #5
tendicott
macrumors newbie

This is a good app and I would recommend it. It is better than other 360 apps such as iNXE or 360 live. It gives the options of these apps but also goes further as you can now send and receive messages instead of just sending them. Avatars are also in full 3D and move around. Props equipped to an avatar also work. Another cool thing is if you shake your device your avatar falls over. I must say though its a bit weird seeing a Windows Phone 7 UI on an iOS device.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 02:58 PM   #6
SandboxGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugp View Post
Not working for me... All I get is the following...

UPDATE: After a few tries it's working now...
I'm getting that error on their regular website too. Both with Safari and Firefox.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 03:01 PM   #7
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

I have always had issues with their website on firefox and safari. I find adding :80 to the end of the .com always works well. I don't know why, but it works...
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 03:03 PM   #8
ugp
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ugp Send a message via Yahoo to ugp Send a message via Skype™ to ugp
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
I'm getting that error on their regular website too. Both with Safari and Firefox.
It's working every time for me now. Very nice App. Very slick I think. Much better than 360 Live. I like how you can watch the Spotlight Videos now. It's very fluid.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 03:20 PM   #9
saccento
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Great app!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 03:40 PM   #10
Foggy
macrumors 6502

Very very nicely done app
Foggy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 03:51 PM   #11
DavidLeblond
macrumors 68020

I have to say, I played with it and my first thought was "if this is what Windows Phone 7 is like then I might want to play with it some." Its a very well done and mostly polished app. Very smart of Microsoft to put something this good in the competition's app store.

Contrast it with Google... have you EVER used a Google iOS app and thought "wow, this is polished?" Most of the time when I use one of their apps I think "wait, did I open Safari by mistake?"
Old Dec 7, 2011, 03:55 PM   #12
Dr Strangelove
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLeblond View Post
I have to say, I played with it and my first thought was "if this is what Windows Phone 7 is like then I might want to play with it some." Its a very well done and mostly polished app. Very smart of Microsoft to put something this good in the competition's app store.

Contrast it with Google... have you EVER used a Google iOS app and thought "wow, this is polished?" Most of the time when I use one of their apps I think "wait, did I open Safari by mistake?"

These are my sentiments exactly
Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:05 PM   #13
Wang Foolio
macrumors regular

Quote:

Insightful commentary? On the Interwebs?! Well said, David.

I'm still getting the /shrug error message seen above, but it wasn't even getting that far a second ago. Could just be a traffic thing as they bring the app online. Who knows
Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:06 PM   #14
stomer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stomer
Animations are annoyingly slow.
stomer is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:15 PM   #15
alksion
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to alksion
This is the first time that I have seen Microsoft pulling out original design and smooth UI's in a long. I am definitely more of an Apple fan, but I do welcome all technology. Personally, I do not like Android that much, but I do think Windows Phone 7 is pretty cool and has a lot of potential.

Great little App!

Last edited by alksion; Dec 8, 2011 at 05:14 AM.
alksion is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:17 PM   #16
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:

TBH If Windows Phone 7 is like this then they have done a great job, which is quite surprising given the fool who's sadly still in charge of the place.

I'm liking the 'Metro' style - possibly the most innovative design thats ever come out of the Redmond Chocolate Factory!
rmwebs is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:20 PM   #17
stridemat

Sweet plug for the writer's gamertag Guess he want's to be beaten at MW3!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:28 PM   #18
Moe UK
macrumors regular

Very nice app makes me want a windows phone more then anything else. But am i missing something this has no setting in notification centre nor can I see a setting for push notifications?
Moe UK is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 04:30 PM   #19
Micjose
macrumors member

Wow this app is great. If Windows Phone 7 is close to being like this, then i might even consider buying such a device.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 05:23 PM   #20
neiltc13
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by alksion View Post
This is the first time that I have seen Microsoft pulling out original design and smooth UI's in a long. I am definitely more of an Apple fan, but I do welcome all technology. Personally, I do not like Android that much, bug I do think Windows Phone 7 is pretty cool and has a lot of potential.

Great little App!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micjose View Post
Wow this app is great. If Windows Phone 7 is close to being like this, then i might even consider buying such a device.
The UI for this application is basically identical to the entire Windows Phone 7 interface.
neiltc13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2011, 06:31 PM   #21
Yaboze
macrumors 6502a

This is well made app and I have to get a little cynical here....

MS has to be thinking that if people get a taste of what a Windows phone is like, they may try it or even switch over at one point. There have already been several posts here stating that very fact. Since the phone works just like the app does, it provides a nice tech demo to everyone that has an iPad an iPhone. Brilliant!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 06:56 PM   #22
Icaras
macrumors 601

I don't have an Xbox but I definitely commend Microsoft for making a nice looking app.

I also hope this spurs other companies like Valve, Sony, and Nintendo in creating similar social apps. I've been waiting forever for Valve to create an official Steam App.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:56 PM   #23
liquidsuns
macrumors 6502

The metro interface on the iPhone screen makes me wish certain things...
liquidsuns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:55 AM   #24
DJAKO
macrumors 6502a

Have no idea why this is coming up, nowhere on xbox.com or under my live.com ID do I even see an option mentioning parental control.

Old Dec 8, 2011, 01:31 AM   #25
jroadley
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to jroadley
There must be away to turn off those annoying sound effects each time you press something in the app.
jroadley is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion