Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

xboxlive.jpg

Microsoft has released an official Xbox Live iOS app. The free app, for iPhone and iPad, allows users to:
- Read and send messages to Xbox 360 friends
- Manage your friends list, invite new friends,
- Read and Edit your full LIVE profile (name, bio, motto)
- Change your avatar features/items with the avatar closet
- View and compare your achievement progress with friends
Microsoft has released a number of iOS apps, but with millions of Xbox Live members, this may be the most popular yet.

My Xbox LIVE is available for iPhone and iPad free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Official Xbox Live App Hits the iPad and iPhone

TheOrioles33

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2008
Awesome!

Nevermind! Its not awesome! It wont let me log in. WTF?

ALRIGHT! You have to go to Xboxlive.com and agree to the new terms and all that. Then it works!

Its freaking cool!

Last edited:

tendicott

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Plymouth
This is a good app and I would recommend it. It is better than other 360 apps such as iNXE or 360 live. It gives the options of these apps but also goes further as you can now send and receive messages instead of just sending them. Avatars are also in full 3D and move around. Props equipped to an avatar also work. Another cool thing is if you shake your device your avatar falls over. I must say though its a bit weird seeing a Windows Phone 7 UI on an iOS device.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I have always had issues with their website on firefox and safari. I find adding :80 to the end of the .com always works well. I don't know why, but it works...

saccento

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
New Jersey
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

Great app!

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I have to say, I played with it and my first thought was "if this is what Windows Phone 7 is like then I might want to play with it some." Its a very well done and mostly polished app. Very smart of Microsoft to put something this good in the competition's app store.

Contrast it with Google... have you EVER used a Google iOS app and thought "wow, this is polished?" Most of the time when I use one of their apps I think "wait, did I open Safari by mistake?"

Dr Strangelove

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
I have to say, I played with it and my first thought was "if this is what Windows Phone 7 is like then I might want to play with it some." Its a very well done and mostly polished app. Very smart of Microsoft to put something this good in the competition's app store.

Contrast it with Google... have you EVER used a Google iOS app and thought "wow, this is polished?" Most of the time when I use one of their apps I think "wait, did I open Safari by mistake?"

These are my sentiments exactly

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010

Insightful commentary? On the Interwebs?! Well said, David.

I'm still getting the /shrug error message seen above, but it wasn't even getting that far a second ago. Could just be a traffic thing as they bring the app online. Who knows :p

MacOG728893

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2010
Orange County CA
This is the first time that I have seen Microsoft pulling out original design and smooth UI's in a long. I am definitely more of an Apple fan, but I do welcome all technology. Personally, I do not like Android that much, but I do think Windows Phone 7 is pretty cool and has a lot of potential.

Great little App!

Last edited:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

TBH If Windows Phone 7 is like this then they have done a great job, which is quite surprising given the fool who's sadly still in charge of the place.

I'm liking the 'Metro' style - possibly the most innovative design thats ever come out of the Redmond Chocolate Factory!

Moe UK

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
London
Very nice app makes me want a windows phone more then anything else. But am i missing something this has no setting in notification centre nor can I see a setting for push notifications?

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
This is the first time that I have seen Microsoft pulling out original design and smooth UI's in a long. I am definitely more of an Apple fan, but I do welcome all technology. Personally, I do not like Android that much, bug I do think Windows Phone 7 is pretty cool and has a lot of potential.

Great little App!

Wow this app is great. If Windows Phone 7 is close to being like this, then i might even consider buying such a device.

The UI for this application is basically identical to the entire Windows Phone 7 interface.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
This is well made app and I have to get a little cynical here....

MS has to be thinking that if people get a taste of what a Windows phone is like, they may try it or even switch over at one point. There have already been several posts here stating that very fact. Since the phone works just like the app does, it provides a nice tech demo to everyone that has an iPad an iPhone. Brilliant!

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I don't have an Xbox but I definitely commend Microsoft for making a nice looking app.

I also hope this spurs other companies like Valve, Sony, and Nintendo in creating similar social apps. I've been waiting forever for Valve to create an official Steam App.

DJAKO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Have no idea why this is coming up, nowhere on xbox.com or under my live.com ID do I even see an option mentioning parental control.

Photo%2520Dec%252008%252C%25201%252051%252001%2520AM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.