Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Got an e-mail from Sprint today with a link into my account... A screen came up to search for network enhancements, so I put in my zip code and there's apparently 3 voice upgrades, 3 data capacity upgrades, and 3 data speed upgrades scheduled for the next 6 months.

Here's the link: https://network.sprint.com/search/07110/

According to Sprint's legend on the network map:

Voice Upgrades impact call clarity and dropped calls.
Data capacity allows faster connections despite more users.
Data speed obviously allows a faster and more CONSISTENT connection speed.

I think this all speaks about 3G. I don't think they're really mentioning the WiMax 4G that they're using since they seem like they're dropping a lot of that in favor of LTE.

Anyway, some optimism for a change. Have seen a lot of posts with bad Sprint speeds, maybe this'll help a bit.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Cool post, I have great coverage at my house and it says my closest tower has another upgrade coming in the next 6 months so cool.

Norkusa

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
Good news but too bad I won't be a Sprint customer 6 months from now when the 11 upgrades are finished in my area. The only time I ever get above 0.1Mbps is 2am. I'm just going to eat the $350 ETF and switch to AT&T.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
This is great to hear for the current Sprint customers. A friend of mine had to get a Sprint since he was locked into a family line and his iPhone upgrade was going to be his Christmas present.

Does this affect CLEARWIRE customers? I always thought they used Sprint's towers.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I have a friend that is an executive with one of the principle cell phone tower builders. He says that both AT&T and Sprint are have ramped their orders for Q1 & Q2 2012, so that bodes well for both the coverage and quality from these two carriers.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
USA
It should be worth nothing that it's probably in your best interests to go to your local AT&T or Sprint store, if it's close enough, and try and play around on their demo iPhone and compare data speeds if you're truly considering switching carriers.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The problem with "test driving" phones at the carrier's store is that in most cases, the optimal network setup is in place at that those stores using well-sourced backhaul, picocells and repeaters. They want to show that they have a fast network and full bars, and so you can bet that at least inside of the store, they will use all the tools at their disposal to keep the experience optimal within those four walls.

If you evaluating a carrier, the best thing to do is find a friend who has that service and ask them their experiences. If they'll let you, run some speed tests on their phone.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
USA
The problem with "test driving" phones at the carrier's store is that in most cases, the optimal network setup is in place at that those stores using well-sourced backhaul, picocells and repeaters. They want to show that they have a fast network and full bars, and so you can bet that at least inside of the store, they will use all the tools at their disposal to keep the experience optimal within those four walls.

If you evaluating a carrier, the best thing to do is find a friend who has that service and ask them their experiences. If they'll let you, run some speed tests on their phone.

True. And don't forget if you get home and the service isn't what you expected it to be, most carriers have a return policy. Sprint's used to be 30 days, now down to 14. I'd start the return process no later than day 7 just to be on the safe side. I think I read that AT&T is still 30 days.

Remember kids, LTE technology is right around the corner!

Norkusa

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
It should be worth nothing that it's probably in your best interests to go to your local AT&T or Sprint store, if it's close enough, and try and play around on their demo iPhone and compare data speeds if you're truly considering switching carriers.

I did this at the Sprint kiosk in the mall earlier this week. There I was getting around 1.0mpbs. Then I walked to the other side of the mall and was getting 0.10mpbs with a "o" where the 3G indicator should have been.

I've read on the Sprint forums that all the stores have an Airave device set up, which is essentially a mini cell tower with a 50ft range.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I've read on the Sprint forums that all the stores have an Airave device set up, which is essentially a mini cell tower with a 50ft range.

Many stores are certainly going to have some sort of amplifier, at the very least. No offense to whoever recommended it, but going into a store to test the data speeds of he phones on the cellular network is not going to be a very accurate comparison of real world speeds at all...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.