Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

onlive.jpg

Cloud gaming company OnLive has just announced the release of their playable OnLive client for iPad and iPhone (via TouchArcade and OnLiveInformer).
OnLive, Inc., the pioneer of cloud gaming, announced that it is bringing console-class gaming to tablets and phones with the revolutionary OnLive app for tablet and mobile platforms. The latest, top-tier, high-performance games--previously limited to only consoles and computers--will be available for instant play via the free OnLive app on over 500 million mobile devices over Wi-Fi or mobile networks in the US and UK.
OnLive delivers console-quality games to Macs, PCs, TVs (and now mobile devices) by remotely streaming the game from their central servers. The client device need not be fast enough to render high resolution graphics -- instead it simply has to play back what amounts to a video stream of the game, while user controls are sent back to the central server.

Screenshot via BusinessInsider
OnLive reports that 25 console-class games have been adapted for touch controls including L.A. Noire and LEGO Batman(TM): The Videogame. Games can be played using the touch interface or using their mobile-compatible Universal OnLive Wireless Controller ($49.99). Games purchased on one OnLive device can also be instantly be played on another device with full save game data intact.

Video via PocketGamer
The OnLive app for iPad should be available as a free download at any moment. TechCrunch reports the iPhone support is "coming soon".
The app itself is free, but users will still need to pay for Onlive games which are available per title or through Onlive's PlayPack Bundle. It seems most top-tier Android devices are officially supported -- but as with most Android apps, other (unsupported) devices will probably get in on the fun as well (see official list below). The app currently works for the iPad with support for the iPhone coming later.
LEGO Batman(TM): The Videogame will be given free to anyone who downloads the OnLive app.

Article Link: OnLive Launches their iOS Client for Gaming-on-Demand

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
I love the concept of OnLive, and from what I've seen of it (based on what I've played), it works great.

Tried it out a few months ago and was really impressed -- no issues with lag, even on a sub-par Internet connection on a four year old MacBook Pro. Being able to play some console-quality titles on my iPad seems pretty awesome.

That said, I wish they had a larger selection of games...

Last edited:

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
I don't see a success in OnLive at all. What happens when millions of people are playing at once? Latency issues. Also not everyone has a very good internet connection, and over half of the US is still on dialup. I kid you not. Internet in general also cannot support games that require a 0-lag/latency tolerance.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I don't see a success in OnLive at all. What happens when millions of people are playing at once? Latency issues. Also not everyone has a very good internet connection, and over half of the US is still on dialup. I kid you not. Internet in general also cannot support games that require a 0-lag/latency tolerance.

and yet it exists, and has existed. This is not the launch client. It already exists for various other platforms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnLive#Reception

arn

tylerk36

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
Yeah, I'm a bit too old for this. My coordination and response time is too slow now. 30 years ago I would have been da bomb and would have been good at this. Oh well I will stick with my Angry Birds. :D

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009

The service is going pretty strong so far.

Would have been nice if they didn't have to release a new controller as i have wanted to use my micro console controller on my mac for a while now.

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011

OK, this will take some visualization

imagine apple invented it. it is no different than in its currrent iteration, but it is called iOnlive or something. I have a sneaking suspicion that you would find a way to see it being successful then.

AJH1993

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2011
OK, this will take some visualization

imagine apple invented it. it is no different than in its currrent iteration, but it is called iOnlive or something. I have a sneaking suspicion that you would find a way to see it being successful then.

No, I don't worship Apple like a good majority of posters on here.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Actually OnLive was founded by Steve Perlman, who wrote the first ever smooth video playback implementation for a home computer, guess which - the Mac - while he worked at Apple. This was the first step leading to QuickTime.

Like OnLive, his early efforts were also impressive: "The presentation – horses running from one side of the Mac's screen to the other – amazed the audience. Smooth video playback on a home computer screen had never been achieved before."

If someone can make this work, it's him.

NecroFillak

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
The real question is whether iOS developers will be able to build in support for this controller into their games. Onlive is nice, but imagine just plugging an ipad into a tv via hdmi and using it as a console. I think this could kill consoles.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I I thought it said it would work on iPad? All I find is a viewer. What gives. Did I read something wrong????

The viewer's old. The real version isn't showing up yet.

arn

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I I thought it said it would work on iPad? All I find is a viewer. What gives. Did I read something wrong????

That OnLive viewer app has been out for ages. The actual gameplay client (or maybe an update to the same app?) probably just isn’t quite out yet, or is in the process of rolling out. Check the store again later :)

It’s great that they offer a free game as a demo of the system! I look forward to trying it, having been a massive skeptic about this in the past!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Why are all the mobile onlive videos blurry or low quality? Is there a contract that says no high quality video demo?

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
This is pretty neat. I'll have to look up the pricing of the games, though. Otherwise it's really only a novelty thing and I'd rather buy a console.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.