Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spectrum Abuser

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 27, 2011
So instead you started a thread to update your status?

I've seen that post before.. And it made me laugh. Is this a status update? I really didn't mention any other action besides I deleted an account. Maybe that does make it an update. Either way I kept it short and sweet and for the most part to the point.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I have a Facebook, but I literally at a max spend 20 minutes per week up there if that. Not that I don't have the time, I just don't think it's worth the time.

LeeRod

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Michigan
I just use it to keep in touch with people I haven't seen in a while, and those friends who live in other states or countries. Other than that, I barely post status updates. Some people just post crap all day everyday, those people get "hidden" on my list. As for Facebook now choosing your news feed, they choose the "highlighted" stories/updates they think you will be most interested in. You can however just change the option to sort recent stories first. It'll still mark the Top/highlighted updates, but they will just drop down into the order they we added.

nouveau

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
After nearly three years on the site I deleted my account! Nothing much else to say about it besides that I was tired of all the (To be honest) and 'like' whores who kept popping up everyday. Kind of reminded me of Myspace. Anyways now to start focusing more on my actual life instead of the virtual one.

It's meant to reconnect with friends who you haven't been in contact with in years, i.e. middle school, high school or college friends.

Maybe you've been "friends" with the wrong people

And it's called self control, you control how much time you want to spend on it

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
My thought exactly. I have Facebook simply as another form of contact (like a phone number or email address). I barely post things, and when I do they are for a good reason. It's a good way for me to keep in touch with my old friends around the world. Other than that, I never really go on Facebook any more.

Same for me. I don't waste hours on Facebook, but I do check it as another form of communication.

UlsterApple

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Northern Ireland
see if you can keep off of it for 2 weeks.

I do, regularly. I only joined to keep in contact with a friend in Greece who owned apartments we stayed at, but added a friend from work, who had mutual friends, who had other friends.. so it's at around 50 now. I rarely go anywhere near it because there are either 50,000,000 cause requests (Save a labrador puppy from going down the mines in Timbuktu) or other crap like horoscopes (if you go out today you'll die horribly etc etc) sent to me by people I barely know. One girl I know has 1600 photographs on her account. I link the occasional song from Youtube or silly Net photo but that's the limit - I wouldn't visit more than once a week if it's even that much.
If you really want to cause problems, try to 'unfriend' someone. Neither they nor any of their 'friends' will ever speak to you again in real life and will treat it as a deadly offence, even if you hardly knew each other. Now I know how the Sicilian vendettas got started.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I don't get all the hate. I can see it as a time water but I don't have many friends on mine so I don't get tons of updates every day and it's really nice to keep in touch and share with some friends that don't live close by. Honestly, there are a couple of good friendship I have that keept on because of facebook. Maybe I just have other ways of wasting my time. :p

HKUSP.40

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
If Facebook had a quick and simple way to "select and save all uploaded and tagged pictures" to one large file or something, I'd delete my account. The main reason I keep it is because of all the pictures that I don't want to lose and don't want to go in one by one saving them.

Thankfully, I only check my Facebook about once or twice a week and that's only if I have "alerts/messages." I don't "stalk" other people and see what's going on in their lives.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
My wife finally got on FB after her family kept badgering that she just had to join it.

I've seen her page, and while FB is not uninteresting, I can think of half a dozen reasons why I'm not tempted to join myself:

• First and foremost, I'm one of those stubborn coots who, when everybody tells me I just have to do something, runs the other way.
  • Like I really need one more internet-based way to waste my time...!
  • I may not be related to anybody in the MR community, but guess what? The posts are a lot more interesting here.
  • FB's tiny fonts and uninspired layout irritate me.
  • I enjoy having a small, tight-knit circle of friends; I sure as hell don't want everybody and their brother, sister, uncle, parakeet and chihuahua "friending" me.
  • I just don't trust its privacy.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
If Facebook had a quick and simple way to "select and save all uploaded and tagged pictures" to one large file or something, I'd delete my account. The main reason I keep it is because of all the pictures that I don't want to lose and don't want to go in one by one saving them.

Thankfully, I only check my Facebook about once or twice a week and that's only if I have "alerts/messages." I don't "stalk" other people and see what's going on in their lives.

You can do that. Go to your account settings. At the bottom of the list is an option to "Download a copy of your Facebook data."

From that page:
Facebook said:
What's in your archive?
  • Any photos or videos you've shared on Facebook
  • Your Wall posts, messages and chat conversations
  • Your friends' names and some of their email addresses
  • (Note: We'll only include email addresses for friends who've allowed this in their account settings.)

What's not in your archive?
  • Your friends' photos and status updates
  • Other people's personal info
  • Comments you've made on other people's posts

Maybe that's what you want?

HKUSP.40

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
You can do that. Go to your account settings. At the bottom of the list is an option to "Download a copy of your Facebook data."

From that page:

Maybe that's what you want?

Haha, wow...I never knew you could do this! Thank you! Bye bye Facebook :D

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
I don't have a problem with not visiting my fb for a day or two... now macrumors on the other hand ;)

Jenfowle

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
It can sometimes be a waste of time but it's also a good way to keep in touch with friends and family especially when you are far away. I don't use my account as much as before, but I do log in from time to time to say hi and chat with friends.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I guess I'm one of a few people who don't use Facebook like a teenager.

I've got an account there and I'm happy with. Occasionally make a wall post, occasionally upload a photo or album, occasionally check out my friends new stuff who have moved away. I spend longer browsing on MR than I do on Facebook and Twitter combined, and even that is just 30 mins a day.

A bit of a self control and hiding people who you want to know, but can't put up with their BS, is all you need.

Personally I love it. I can keep in touch with family, fans, colleagues. I've got a good set of privacy and group filters going so neither work or family stuff mix. Can't fault it - just the 3rd party apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.