Old Dec 8, 2011, 05:10 AM   #26
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Finally?

I'll go ahead and download it...
Old Dec 8, 2011, 07:28 AM   #27
NekoFever
macrumors member

The app crashes for me every time I try to access my messages or tap on a game to see its achievements. Am I the only one?
NekoFever is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 07:33 AM   #28
OneOkami

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post
The UI for this application is basically identical to the entire Windows Phone 7 interface.
Which is really an expansion of the Zune HD interface. I really think its been a diamond in the rough these past few years (the interface).
OneOkami is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 07:34 AM   #29
Sackvillenb
macrumors 6502a

Well, this will be a handy complement to my xbox... I can send messages and do "xbox live stuff" separately on my iPad while playing my games... Can't wait to try it out!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:27 AM   #30
ProVideo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugp View Post
Not working for me... All I get is the following...

That is the official character of Microsoft support. His slogan is; "Meh, what are you going to do?"
ProVideo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:38 AM   #31
mw360
macrumors 6502a

Metro looks like a nice touch interface, based on this app, but I'm not enjoying it on the XBox. It's dog slow to navigate especially since they insist on placing 'games' all the way down the list - after all the buzzwords and just before 'preferences'. Stupid. Admit the XBox is a games console!
mw360 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 09:14 AM   #32
ryanmcv
macrumors 6502

This is a very nice app, but it's not without its bugs. Trying to adjust the volume or bring up controls while watching a video seems to crash the app more often than not. I also wish the animations weren't so long. They're cool, but I'd rather get to my content faster.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 09:34 AM   #33
EmbraceTheOne
macrumors 6502a

If I had to choose between an Android, or Windows Phone 7, I'd definitely going WP7. I've always waned one.
Now I can some-what have one with this app. Very similar to WP7 UI.

Awesome App.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 09:54 AM   #34
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLeblond View Post
I have to say, I played with it and my first thought was "if this is what Windows Phone 7 is like then I might want to play with it some." Its a very well done and mostly polished app. Very smart of Microsoft to put something this good in the competition's app store.

Contrast it with Google... have you EVER used a Google iOS app and thought "wow, this is polished?" Most of the time when I use one of their apps I think "wait, did I open Safari by mistake?"
This app uses iOS features. So, it's like saying Office on Mac = how Windows run.

Also, all the great apps are on App Store.
Consultant is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:07 AM   #35
budafied
macrumors member

This was perfect timing for me. I hated using the half-assed apps from third parties. The only workable app for iOS that keeps track of my Live friends was Bungie's app.

Now MS releases this and I have an incredibly solid Xbox Live app. Thanks MS!!!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 10:55 AM   #36
DavidLeblond
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
This app uses iOS features. So, it's like saying Office on Mac = how Windows run.

Also, all the great apps are on App Store.
Of course it uses iOS features, but the UI of this application works like Windows Phone 7. They were pretty meticulous about it, down to the animations.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 11:29 AM   #37
DocNYz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLeblond View Post
I have to say, I played with it and my first thought was "if this is what Windows Phone 7 is like then I might want to play with it some." Its a very well done and mostly polished app. Very smart of Microsoft to put something this good in the competition's app store.

Contrast it with Google... have you EVER used a Google iOS app and thought "wow, this is polished?" Most of the time when I use one of their apps I think "wait, did I open Safari by mistake?"
Dude I totally agree with everything you just said. At first I was a little confused as to why they'd put this on the competition, but as you said, it's free advertising/demoing for us.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
TBH If Windows Phone 7 is like this then they have done a great job, which is quite surprising given the fool who's sadly still in charge of the place.

I'm liking the 'Metro' style - possibly the most innovative design thats ever come out of the Redmond Chocolate Factory!
Yeah I'm loving the Xbox LIVE update, much faster/snappier, less cluttered, and yet more information/options per page. Not to mention how ****ing awesome Roaming Profiles and Cloud Saves are ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridemat View Post
Sweet plug for the writer's gamertag Guess he want's to be beaten at MW3!
Haha seriously. Or Halo: Anniversary Edition (also in 3D I might add).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
I don't have an Xbox but I definitely commend Microsoft for making a nice looking app.

I also hope this spurs other companies like Valve, Sony, and Nintendo in creating similar social apps. I've been waiting forever for Valve to create an official Steam App.
Seriously Steam should have an app by now. Nintendo probably never will though because iPhone is one of, if not the competitor for 3DS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by budafied View Post
This was perfect timing for me. I hated using the half-assed apps from third parties. The only workable app for iOS that keeps track of my Live friends was Bungie's app.

Now MS releases this and I have an incredibly solid Xbox Live app. Thanks MS!!!
Embarrassingly I didn't know about Bungie's app (had been using 360 Live for years now) but thanks for the suggestion regardless.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 02:01 PM   #38
whaled09
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroadley View Post
There must be away to turn off those annoying sound effects each time you press something in the app.
Vibrate Mode.
whaled09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 02:55 PM   #39
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

Pretty slick! I like it....
Old Dec 8, 2011, 03:19 PM   #40
ChrisSD
macrumors member

This is a very nice app. I've been waiting for something like this for a while, especially after the 360 Live fiasco (charging for removing ads, then when in-app purchases come, charging AGAIN to remove ads). Now all I need on iOS is a Zune app with the same level of polish and an official Playstation app, and I would be very happy.
ChrisSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2011, 09:36 PM   #41
alksion
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to alksion
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw360 View Post
Metro looks like a nice touch interface, based on this app, but I'm not enjoying it on the XBox. It's dog slow to navigate especially since they insist on placing 'games' all the way down the list - after all the buzzwords and just before 'preferences'. Stupid. Admit the XBox is a games console!
I have to disagree with you on this, I think it's clutter free and makes it easier to navigate.

Only thing I do not like is the Netflix update, I think it is greatly inferior to the last one. This might be my only grime and a small one at that..
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:01 AM   #42
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Hey .. Sony .. MSFT did that on iOS. Where is this apps of yours? Never heard of it again.
iSayuSay is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:59 AM   #43
KdParker
macrumors 68020

nice app

Still not going to push me into a Windows phone....they still have some catching up to do

Last edited by KdParker; Dec 12, 2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: arrgh
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 06:56 AM   #44
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

It's a cool idea for XBOX to put this on the app store. Could get a few new interested people in their monthly services. Good for them.

I'm a PS3 man myself, when I have time to use it!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 05:30 AM   #45
jayhtee
macrumors newbie

Nice effort, nice design MS...

Doesn't really do much though eh?!?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 03:19 AM   #46
DocNYz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhtee View Post
Nice effort, nice design MS...

Doesn't really do much though eh?!?
Great to see who's online, respond to messages, and see what achievements require ...

Really could use some push notifications though and faster response time for messages, friend requests, etc ...
Old Dec 24, 2011, 02:05 AM   #47
posimosh
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugp View Post
Not working for me... All I get is the following...

UPDATE: After a few tries it's working now...
LOLOLOLOL! I really hope that is not a real Microsoft page... Seriously, is that photoshopped? I don't know which is funnier if it is a legit webcap or doctored...
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:02 PM   #48
briansolomon
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to briansolomon
Would have been nice to use it last night when they had election coverage using SmartGlass.
briansolomon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion