Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
I purchased a 2010 iMac for a friend and the seller didn't wipe the machine before he shipped it. I've been trying to do a re-install of Snow Leopard with the disks that came with the machine and even though it installs, it is not wiping the drive. Everything is still there as before the install. I followed the instructions as to how to do the clean install and have done it twice, but still with the same results.

If I can't get it to work, is there a way to rename the original owners main file in the Finder window to a new name?

Thanks for any help that comes.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I purchased a 2010 iMac for a friend and the seller didn't wipe the machine before he shipped it. I've been trying to do a re-install of Snow Leopard with the disks that came with the machine and even though it installs, it is not wiping the drive. Everything is still there as before the install. I followed the instructions as to how to do the clean install and have done it twice, but still with the same results.

If I can't get it to work, is there a way to rename the original owners main file in the Finder window to a new name?

Thanks for any help that comes.

Insert the Install discs & restart the Mac (so that it boots into the Installation screen). First off, you're not going to find a "Erase my Mac & Install Snow Leopard" option. Here's what you're going to have to do in the Installation screen...

1. In the menubar, you'll see something called Disk Utility. Go into Disk Utility, select the Macintosh HD drive and then click Erase (if your files are loaded on the Mac as well, back them up).

2. Once that is done, you can install Snow Leopard. The HD will have no files on it other than the Operating System. You're going to need to reinstall all applications besides OS X ones (ex. you'll need to install iLife, Word, Photoshop etc...)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
FSMBP's two steps look spot on. In Snow Leopard/Lion, you manually have to erase the HDD first, in order to do a clean install.

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
Insert the Install discs & restart the Mac (so that it boots into the Installation screen). First off, you're not going to find a "Erase my Mac & Install Snow Leopard" option. Here's what you're going to have to do in the Installation screen...

1. In the menubar, you'll see something called Disk Utility. Go into Disk Utility, select the Macintosh HD drive and then click Erase (if your files are loaded on the Mac as well, back them up).

2. Once that is done, you can install Snow Leopard. The HD will have no files on it other than the Operating System. You're going to need to reinstall all applications besides OS X ones (ex. you'll need to install iLife, Word, Photoshop etc...)

I tried to erase the drive via the utility of which you speak, but the erase option is greyed out even though I clicked on the drive I want to erase.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I tried to erase the drive via the utility of which you speak, but the erase option is greyed out even though I clicked on the drive I want to erase.

Are you doing this via Installation process of Snow Leopard, or when you're actually logged into Snow Leopard? If you're actually logged into SL, you cannot erase the disk.

I'm at work at the moment, but I may be able to help more when I get home. Until then, use this Guide...

http://guides.macrumors.com/Clean_Install_of_OS_X_10.6_Snow_Leopard

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
Are you doing this via Installation process of Snow Leopard, or when you're actually logged into Snow Leopard? If you're actually logged into SL, you cannot erase the disk.

I'm at work at the moment, but I may be able to help more when I get home. Until then, use this Guide...

http://guides.macrumors.com/Clean_Install_of_OS_X_10.6_Snow_Leopard

I used the install disk and held the "C" down on the keyboard (just like it says on the disk) Once it booted it asked me to chose the language (which I did) then it warned me that everything on the HD would be erased, which is what I want. 33 Minutes later the iMac rebooted, and everything the original owner had on the HD was still there. I was expecting it to go to the various languages of "Welcome", but nope didn't happen.

** Update: Got it, Got it, Got it, ......... Thanks a MILLION!!!

Last edited:

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I used the install disk and held the "C" down on the keyboard (just like it says on the disk) Once it booted it asked me to chose the language (which I did) then it warned me that everything on the HD would be erased, which is what I want. 33 Minutes later the iMac rebooted, and everything the original owner had on the HD was still there. I was expecting it to go to the various languages of "Welcome", but nope didn't happen.

** Update: Got it, Got it, Got it, ......... Thanks a MILLION!!!

Great, you are welcome!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.