Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today issued a notice to resellers announcing that it has discontinued the boxed versions of its Logic Studio and Logic Express audio software packages effectively immediately, also announcing that the Logic Pro 9 and MainStage 2 components will be moving to the Mac App Store for distribution. It does not appear that Apple will be offering the Soundtrack Pro 3 component of Logic Studio via the Mac App Store.

logic_studio_mbp.jpg

A report from early September had claimed that Apple was finishing up work on Logic Pro X. The report also indicated that Soundtrack Pro would be discontinued as part of the update as it was with Final Cut update to Final Cut Pro X.

Today's notice to resellers specifically refers to "new" Logic Pro 9 and MainStage 2 coming to the Mac App Store, but it seems odd that Apple would simply move those apps to the Mac App Store while discontinuing Logic Express and Soundtrack Pro and without releasing more substantial updates to Logic Pro and MainStage to address the reworked packages.

Update: Logic Pro is priced at $199.99, down from $499; MainStage is $29.99. The Logic Pro pricing is a significant reduction from the current $499 Logic Studio price, echoing steep price drops on Apple's Final Cut Pro software when it moved to the Mac App Store and the discontinuation of Logic Express ($199).

Logic Pro is available for $199.99 on the Mac App Store [Direct Link], and MainStage is $29.99 [Direct Link].

Article Link: Logic Pro and MainStage Headed to Mac App Store, Boxed Software Discontinued [Updated]

bentoms

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hope for a substantial discount or I'll see if I can get an upgrade to a boxed copy.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hope for a substantial discount or I'll see if I can get an upgrade to a boxed copy.

I am begining to think of the download versions of software as the premium and the box version as being an annoyance. Not needing to keep track of the media and the right to redownload is a good thing when you live in a place where houses all around you have a tendency to be destroyed by tornadoes, earthquakes and fires.

tylerk36

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
I think its good that Apple is on the band wagon and eliminating the need to use DVD's. Although I do think it is nice to have to DVD when you want to reinstall in case you have to reinstall OS X. Downloading can take quite a while on large programs. I guess this eliminates copy right issues.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
What good is Logic to the average punter without all the software instruments and brilliant junk?!

Software Instruments should be fine built in the Logic 9 download.

It's EXS24 with all the Jam Packs and Ultrabeat that will probably need to have the additional downloading of sample libraries within the program.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
I am begining to think of the download versions of software as the premium and the box version as being an annoyance. Not needing to keep track of the media and the right to redownload is a good thing when you live in a place where houses all around you have a tendency to be destroyed by tornadoes, earthquakes and fires.

Unfortunately many people still have sub par internet connections even downloading 1gb can take more than 24 hours.

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
I would be perfectly happy with a Logic 9.2 that improves stability issues I've been having. I would even pay for that upgrade.
Flex editing and time stretching are unusable for me due to bugs, which is odd because I used both of those tools often in the past without problems.
Flex editing of drums in slicing mode has caused audio artifacts at transient markers (NOT flex markers) on un-flexed portions of the region, and 75% of the time time stretching a region causes beach ball and force quit.

mbrannon47

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
"Apple doesn't care about pros" post in 3,2,1...

Yeah.....but it's becoming true. But computers are becoming more and more generalized as everyday people use computers instead of the "pros" who were doing all the content creation back in the 90s okay nevermind I'm way too tired to write this long thing.

SIMPLY: I really hope Apple keeps developing PRO products... they're great and we love them.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
Unfortunately many people still have sub par internet connections even downloading 1gb can take more than 24 hours.

I understand your point, however, some of us don't live in a place where you can go to the Apple Store when you need the software at 3:30am. Most things that are an advantage to one person will be a disadvantage to others.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
I emailed Tim Cook about this just last week. He didn't respond, but I'll still take credit for their announcing their plans :D

Too bad no update, too bad no Express.

As for Express, hopefully the new pricing for Pro is close to where Express was anyway. Not only is Final Cut a precedent, but Aperture. It went from $199 to $79. We could see Pro at $200 (although I'd be tempted to grab an Express 8->9 upgrade online for ~$80.)

Interestingly, Amazon is listing the upgrade from 8-9 as the "old version." Significant? Probably, not.

As to no Logic X, maybe it's just the optimist in me, but there's still a chance. Maybe they wanted to let their resellers know about ending boxed copies in advance, but wanted to announce Logic X separately, so they just referenced 9 in the press release. Longshot, I know.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Exactly what this announcement appears to be addressing.

"Apple doesn't care about pros" post in 3,2,1...

Let's say Apple puts the same exact software on app store for a quarter of the price. Apple saves siginificantly on costs so 1/4 is possible. We will immediately hear from pros how this is some how wrong. At times you would think these fools just like pissing away money.

Now if the app gets updated and moved to app store at a lower price these pros will be doubly incensed. They may not understand half the new features but take those new features as a sign that Apple hates Pros. Moronic if you ask me.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Considering what happened with FCPX, I'm glad I upgraded to Logic 9 before this all went down. It'll be interesting to see if the same series of decisions & events happens to Logic. I certainly hope not.

And yeah, that'd be a huge download.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
The days of selling old software you no longer want or need is coming to an end as far as Apple is concerned. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.