Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two websites are offering big discounts on preset bundles of Mac Apps.

First up, MacUpdate's Winter bundle includes 12 Mac apps for $49.99 (a $741 value if purchased separately):

macupdate.jpg

- TechTool Pro ($99) Hard drive and system repair & maintenance tool.
- IconBox ($24) Organize and customize icons across your Mac (First 15k buyers)
- TotalFinder ($18) Adds tabs, hotkeys, and other tweaks to the Finder
- Postbox 3 ($29) Powerful and flexible email client
- FontPack Pro Master ($300) 6,200+ royalty free, commercial use fonts plus font management utility
- Labels & Addresses ($49) Powerful label & envelope printing tool
- Mac DVDRipper Pro 3 ($19) Copy DVD video to your Mac
- Back in Focus ($99) Refocus blurry images
- NeverWinter Nights 2 ($19) Role-playing game with infinite possibilities
- Hear ($19) Improves audio quality and adds audio options system-wide
- iClip 5 ($19) Get past the limitations of a single clipboard
- FoldersSynchronizer ($40) Synchronize or backup files, folders and disks

MacRumors is a promotional partner with MacUpdate. Bundle sales through these links benefit MacRumors financially, and provide a way for readers to directly support this site. Buy all 12 apps for $49.99.

Apparent Software has put together a second bundle called ProductiveMacs consisting of 8 apps for $39.99, a value of $264 if purchased separately:

productive.jpg

- Fantastical ($20) Meet your new assistant
- BusyCal ($50) The easy way to share your calendars
- Home Inventory ($15) Your stuff at your fingertips
- NoteBook ($50) Powerful note taking and organizing
- Default Folder X ($35) Your folders and much more
- LaunchBar ($35) Everything on your Mac, a few keystrokes away
- Cashculator ($30) The most productive way to track your finances
- Tags ($29) Manage your files, folders, emails and photos in a way far superior to folders

Buy all 8 apps for $39.99.

Article Link: Mac App Bundles: Winter Bundle ($49) and Productivity Bundle ($39)

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
The only real apps I use outside of the default apple ones are Day One (journal app) and Onyx (system cleaner). I have yet to find a mac app besides those two that win over the default load out.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
The only real apps I use outside of the default apple ones are Day One (journal app) and Onyx (system cleaner). I have yet to find a mac app besides those two that win over the default load out.

Definitely one of the things I REALLY dislike about my Windoze machines. I'm always having to download third party applications or buy software, when my Mac has that exact same functionality built in!

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
Could be worth it just for the font package. Finding good fonts without any restrictions on use is something I don't enjoy in the least.

Hear sounds like something I'd use, as well. Not sure about the rest, though, even if they're good they don't necessarily sound like anything I'd use on a regular basis.

Anyone used Back in Focus before? Is it any good? That could be useful.

jpthebean

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Could be worth it just for the font package. Finding good fonts without any restrictions on use is something I don't enjoy in the least.

Too true, so long as the fonts can be loaded into Font Book. I don't like the look of the font utility included in the bundle.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Firstly, does anyone else find it strange/silly that there are two calendar based apps? Meaning whatever happens, you're not going to use at least one of them.

I've never seen the point in things like a 'home inventory' app or yet another notebook app.

Just seems like people are making these things to be cool and in with the latest trend. I guess I'm not the kind of person who wants to have every second of my day planned and can cope with a whiteboard and notepad! I get so much more satisfaction at being able to physically cross out or wipe off a task when its done.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
are those apps then distributed through the app store?

as much as I dislike the closed apple controlled system for programs it is very convenient to have those small apps managed, updated through the app store as opposed to downloading manually, installing, typing in serial numbers, then updating manually, typing in the serial again......

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
are those apps then distributed through the app store?

as much as I dislike the closed apple controlled system for programs it is very convenient to have those small apps managed, updated through the app store as opposed to downloading manually, installing, typing in serial numbers, then updating manually, typing in the serial again......

Some of these applications will never be on the AppStore due to Apple's sand boxing policy ( which of course, reduces innovation and creativity - sandboxing limits the functionality that can be provided ) .. unless functionality of application is reduced, or not at all.

Quite a few of these applications use Sparkle.. so you only need to enter the serial once - so not an issue. In any case, the AppStore doesn't allow bundles like this - each developer would have to reduce the price and you'd have to buy each app individually.

------------------------------

Productivity Bundle is damned good value - if I didn't already have LaunchBar ,Fantastical and Default Folder X I'd definitely buy it.

Last edited:

stisdal

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
USA
I got a bundle in the spring of this year, and the updates have been free just as if I had purchased them individually.

You do have to update each one (or set to auto update).

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Anyone used Back in Focus before? Is it any good? That could be useful.
Just downloaded a demo. I think it's a cruel joke. The 'manual' is one online page. Basically you're presented with a dozen or more algorithms to choose from and a slider for the radius. Then you choose to apply a mask or apply to the whole picture. With no guidance for any of it. Just select combinations randomly and see if any make the picture better. And the rendering can take a lot of time.

What this is doing with the commercial products is anyone's guess. I can see why they're giving it away...

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Too true, so long as the fonts can be loaded into Font Book. I don't like the look of the font utility included in the bundle.
They're regular OpenType fonts which works anywhere, PC or Mac. Their site has a free sample pack; I just had a look, 15 fonts but Regular only, no bold etc. Their PDF font guide show the collection contains complete families with bold, italic, condensed, expanded, outline etc.

So in short, yes, you can manage your fonts in Font Book or any other program you like.

I'm tempted to get the bundle just for this, as most of the rest has no interest. Maybe TechTool or the DVD Ripper could be interesting, but I'm wary of all those utilities that claim to tweak your computer (mess with the system) to improve performance; lots of those on the PC. And I got RipIt in another bundle.

While on the PC, I tried out lots of little utilities, many of which just end up cluttering your computer and perhaps slowing it down. I'd like as few startup addon utilities as possible on my Mac, but fonts provided you use a font utility to selectively enable them is very useful to me. Not that I'm lacking fonts; I've converted tons from older formats, including PC PostScript ones, to OpenType.

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Firstly, does anyone else find it strange/silly that there are two calendar based apps? Meaning whatever happens, you're not going to use at least one of them.

Actually, the two apps do different things, so you might definitely do both.

BusyCal is a replacement for iCal. Some folks like it a lot more than iCal.

Fantastical is an app that you would use with either calendar. It gives you a menu bar icon that lets you look at your calendar quickly, and has a great freeform text entry of events. It's sort of like Lion's quick entry where you can say "Have lunch Friday evening at DeCecco's" but it will show you what pieces go into what fields as you type so you know it's right.

I don't have BusyCal, but I do have Fantastical and love it.

I ended up buying the MacUpdate bundle. I was interested in the Labels program and the fonts. I've used TTPro's predecessor and it was decent. I might find a use for the others.

accidental

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2011
with these bundles, are you tied with these version or you also get updates just like normal users that buy the software(s) alone?

Sometimes, yes. Occasionally you'll get an app in a bundle that has a major new version close to release and the developer won't give the free upgrade, or discount, to people who have a license from the bundle.

I think I had this happen with Acorn a few years ago from a MacHeist bundle.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
Tis the season for bundles

With these two added to the mix there are now 5 Mac bundles going on. A bit insane. Mac Legion, BundleHunt, MacFriendly [which ends in 7 hours, has the font pack and is $10 cheaper], plus the two listed here. And there were 2 others that just ended, plus Mac Bundler is about to begin.

Oh, and The Mac Bundles is going on now too.

I have affiliate links to all of these, but I'm not putting them in this post - just google the terms to find the sites.

Oh, and Deals2Have is also having some Mac software on sale. Oh, and Cult of Mac has a 11-app bundle too. Crazy!

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
With these two added to the mix there are now 5 Mac bundles going on. A bit insane. Mac Legion, BundleHunt, MacFriendly [which ends in 7 hours, has the font pack and is $10 cheaper], plus the two listed here. And there were 2 others that just ended, plus Mac Bundler is about to begin.

Oh, and The Mac Bundles is going on now too.

I have affiliate links to all of these, but I'm not putting them in this post - just google the terms to find the sites.

Oh, and Deals2Have is also having some Mac software on sale. Oh, and Cult of Mac has a 11-app bundle too. Crazy!

Thanks for the list! The strongest bundle for me seems to be the MacBundle - nice bunch of goodies there :)

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I've bought a couple of these bundles in the past. IMHO they are only worth it if there are apps in it that you were planning to buy anyway that are > cost of bundle. I've become a big user of Notebook (Circus Ponies Software), which is a reasonable substitute for Microsoft OneNote. Nothing else here strikes a chord.

I'd be leery of a package of 6200+ fonts (and the "value" of $300). You generally get what you pay for in fonts, and no decent fonts sell for 5 cents each!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I've bought a couple of these bundles in the past. IMHO they are only worth it if there are apps in it that you were planning to buy anyway that are > cost of bundle. I've become a big user of Notebook (Circus Ponies Software), which is a reasonable substitute for Microsoft OneNote. Nothing else here strikes a chord.

I'd be leery of a package of 6200+ fonts (and the "value" of $300). You generally get what you pay for in fonts, and no decent fonts sell for 5 cents each!

This is the one thing I really want out of this package!!!!! I have had my eye on it for a while now.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina

Agreed about the fonts. The developer is, I believe, Macware, which re-bundles stuff up that is old and sells it in boxed format normally. I've not been a fan of their wares.

From the Productivity bundle, Circus Ponies Notebook, Default Folder X, and LaunchBar are all amazing apps that are well worth their full price.

From the MUPromo, I can't recommend Postbox enough. Great e.mail app for those serious about e.mail [with 20 years of e.mail and well over a million messages on my IMAP server, I'm serious about e.mail!]. The other app from the MUPromo bundle that I use very often [as part of their Printfolio package] is Labels and Addresses. Great value, even at full price and very easy to use yet powerful software. I've been using it since it was named Mail Factory and came in a Personal and Business flavor. They continue to improve the product and they don't charge huge upgrade fees for existing customers.

tekkietekkie

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
I purchased this for tech tool but I really like the total finder app, having tabs in finder is awesome !

also postbox /hear are pretty good but the rest I will probably never use

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.