Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

grand_central_store_crowd.jpg

Following Wednesday's media preview event, Apple's massive new retail store in Manhattan's Grand Central Terminal opened to the public today at 10:00 AM. As noted by Fortune, the main concourse of the terminal was filled with hundreds of people waiting for the store to open as hundreds more red-shirted Apple employees prepared to welcome them.

As is traditional for Apple retail store openings, the company is handing out store-specific T-shirts to early visitors. Fortune notes that Apple has prepared to hand out 4,000 T-shirts for today's opening.

Article Link: Grand Central Terminal Packed for Apple Retail Store Opening

Last edited:

dmacthedon

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2011
Looks like a miserable experience, i love apple, but i would not show up to this.. apple stores are busy enough on any normal day when you need to buy something, i don't get the big deal, its not like its the first store in NYC theres other stores if you need to go buy something, and its not like theres any new products on sale at this specific store. so why the crowd? Are all these people showing up for a free t shirt? if thats the case ...wow

JohnArtist

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
New York
Welcome to New York!

Well, that looks like an absolutely hellish experience.

Well, to be fair, not all of those people are there for Apple. A lot (more than half?) are probably just walking through the main room on their way to a train or out into the streets. It is only 10am on a business day and people are still arriving. Plus, it's Christmas gift shopping season and people are coming into the City. I am sure some turned and said "what's going on here?" and hung out to just watch.

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Why would people go? I am sure it's cool, but what's the point of going to the Apple store unless you plan to buy something, or need help fixing something?

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I really feel bad for the commuters.

You got that right, will be great at product launches, need to get to work, or home from work, it's busy enough there, on top of it they have to get around this? I am wondering if the MTA really thought it through all the way :confused:

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
This is really quite amazing to see. What other retailer in history has ever commanded a crowd this big for a store opening? None.

Amazing!

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
Reminds me of my local Apple store on the weekend (especially in December). Only thing that is missing is the crowd of teens taking pictures of themselves on any notebook they can get their hands on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.