Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ephailey

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
My son can't find his ATT iPhone 4.

1. The battery was almost run down so he can't try to ring it.

2. Assuming he misplaced it somewhere and someone found it, is there anyway to figure out if someone else is using his phone?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I assume he did not have 'find my iPhone' activated either !

All you can do is keep ringing it but if he has lost it in public then maybe its time to report the loss to have it blocked and the sim disabled !

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
its within the iPhone settings and location services.

After you activate it then you can download an app onto another iPhone or log into the programme on a mac or pc.{www.icloud.com} By entering your apple id you can then bring up a gps map which will show where it is. You can then track it, send it a text message, wipe it of data or lock it out.

If the finder of the phone knows about this feature then they can disable the feature so you have to be quick !

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
IF you are able to retrieve it you should download the responsibility app for your son.

ephailey

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Repost

The original post is mine.

My son did not have the software installed. If we find phone we will do that.

The power is off so if not taken by someone else, we could not locate it anyway.

He already has a temporary cheap phone so the old Sim has been disabled.

My main question is that if someone found or stole the phone would they be able to reactivate under their own service and would I be able to find that out?

Thanks.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
My main question is that if someone found or stole the phone would they be able to reactivate under their own service and would I be able to find that out?

Thanks.

Yes they can, and no you won't. Once they've restored the phone they can activate it on their own account. There's not much you can do about it.

Some will probably pipe in and tell you to call ATT and Apple to see if they can track or block the phone somehow, but don't waste your time. They can't and they won't.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Yes they can, and no you won't. Once they've restored the phone they can activate it on their own account. There's not much you can do about it.

Some will probably pipe in and tell you to call ATT and Apple to see if they can track or block the phone somehow, but don't waste your time. They can't and they won't.

100% concur on this. There is nothing you can do about it. If you can't find it in your house, assume it is lost and move on.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
AT&T won't blacklist it or track it for you unless you have insurance through them.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
That phone is gone, there is probably nothing left in it that's "yours" since you didn't install anything.

[This is for the future]

I misplace my phone a lot when I go from back and forth places. Also, the hardest time I misplace my iPhone is at home. Find My iPhone is useless is since I already know it's here. But, I don't look at that. My landline phone is also connected via bluetooth to my iPhone. I just look at the landline phone and see if there is a connection. If there, phone is in the house. I can try and send it that repeating sound and hope it's not muffled at all. I do this also with my with my BT car audio, still working on a BT for me. This may not be the best way to search for a lost/misplaced. But, it works for me.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I misplace my phone a lot when I go from back and forth places. Also, the hardest time I misplace my iPhone is at home. Find My iPhone is useless is since I already know it's here.

Find My iPhone is definitely useful. You can use Find My iPhone to direct the phone to make a "pinging" noise - regardless of the position of the mute switch or the volume setting. Very handy. I have used that on more than one occasion to locate my phone, I knew I was within 20 feet of it but needed the sound to narrow it down.

----------

Technically, they CAN but they won't :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.