Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Hi guys,

I need to install Xcode 3.2.6 on Lion (I know its unsupported) because I can't write Maya plugins in Xcode 4 (Or at least I haven't found a way to get a project to build).

I already followed this link but it seems the instructions are incomplete (or beyond my understanding)

http://anatomicwax.tumblr.com/post/8064949186/installing-xcode-3-2-6-on-lion-redux

I follow the instructions but the Xcode Toolset is still greyed out.

When I follow the instructions on the link I get what looks like a prompt, should I enter something at the prompt?

MacBook-Air:~ Scott$ export COMMAND_LINE_INSTALL=1
MacBook-Air:~ Scott$ open "/Volumes/Xcode and iOS SDK/XCode and iOS SDK.mpkg
> <---That is the prompt I'm talking about

Has anyone done this successfully? If so can you please let me know where I am going wrong? Thank you :)

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Hi guys,

I need to install Xcode 3.2.6 on Lion (I know its unsupported) because I can't write Maya plugins in Xcode 4 (Or at least I haven't found a way to get a project to build).

I already followed this link but it seems the instructions are incomplete (or beyond my understanding)

http://anatomicwax.tumblr.com/post/8064949186/installing-xcode-3-2-6-on-lion-redux

I follow the instructions but the Xcode Toolset is still greyed out.

When I follow the instructions on the link I get what looks like a prompt, should I enter something at the prompt?

MacBook-Air:~ Scott$ export COMMAND_LINE_INSTALL=1
MacBook-Air:~ Scott$ open "/Volumes/Xcode and iOS SDK/XCode and iOS SDK.mpkg
> <---That is the prompt I'm talking about

Has anyone done this successfully? If so can you please let me know where I am going wrong? Thank you :)

You are missing a terminating quotation mark, they always have to come in pairs!

open "/Volumes/Xcode and iOS SDK/XCode and iOS SDK.mpkg"

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
This is not working for me. I have Lion 10.7.2 and Xcode 3.2.2 on already from the Snow Leopard days. Anyways, I go through the command line steps exactly as outlined, the installer opens, and once I get to the window with the Install button (this window also has change install location button), the button goes gray for a second and turns black. And the log file /var/log/install.log is chock full of errors:

Jan 16 18:26:53 ivan Installer[75301]: IFJS: *** exception: TypeError: 'null' is not an object (evaluating 'my.target.systemVersion')
Jan 16 18:26:53: --- last message repeated 1 time ---
Jan 16 18:26:53 ivan Installer[75301]: IFJS: *** exception: TypeError: 'null' is not an object (evaluating 'my.target.mountpoint')
Jan 16 18:26:53 ivan Installer[75301]: IFJS: *** exception: TypeError: 'null' is not an object (evaluating 'my.target.systemVersion')
Jan 16 18:26:53 ivan Installer[75301]: IFJS: *** exception: TypeError: 'null' is not an object (evaluating 'my.target.mountpoint')

Fixed it!
I had iTunes open which was causing the silent fail. So I quit the installer and iTunes and redid the steps. Install is underway.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.