Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 11, 2011, 06:14 PM   #26
mikesn5va
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
No Luck in Richmond!

My local Radio Shack had one iPhone 4 in stock and was not even aware of the $30 "sale"; they did offer me $175 for my mint condition iPhone 4-black-16G. Went over to the local Target and they do not sell the iPhone! Next, over to AT&T store and they offered $205 for my phone but had no 4S-black-16G in stock. I quit!
mikesn5va is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 06:22 PM   #27
charliex5
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Urgh. Just went in and they had no idea what I was talking about.

"I read online you guys were selling the iPhone for $30 off."
"Um, not that I know off. Let me check on our website. Where did you read this?"
"Mac Rumors..."

I felt like a freaking idiot. Thanks a lot macrumors!

I guess that's why they call it Mac Rumors...

Last edited by charliex5; Dec 11, 2011 at 08:21 PM.
charliex5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:42 PM   #28
MacConvert07
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Took advantage of the deal today. RadioShack gave me $175 for my wife's iPhone 4 in perfect condition with charger and box and then the iPhone 4s for $169. All I had to do was pay tax. Also bought the apple care.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4GHZ, 4GB, 160GB, (Mid 2007)
MacBook 13.3", 2.0GHZ, 2GB, (Jan. 2007)
iPad2, iPhone 4 (x2), iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 4
MacConvert07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:58 PM   #29
geenosr
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South
Thanks MacRumors!

I called 4 "The Shack" stores today after reading the story on macrumors, and all 4 gave me different answers to "Do you know about the $30.00 off iPhone 4 and 4S? The answers I got ranged from "no" to "they're only for refurb phones" to "only iPhone 4 models". So I tried one more store and they had 1 iPhone 4S in stock and they actually knew about the discount. So I took my wife's 3GS 16 gig beat up phone and off I went. When I got there, the salesman was nice, but had not actually done many (if any) iPhone sales/activations. So it took a while, but after the discount/upgrade eligible/trade in numbers were crunched, I walked out with a new iPhone 4S white 16 gig for less than $85.00. What blew me away was they gave me a $100.00 trade in fee for a well used phone. I was not expecting that much, but I didn't argue at all. I'm sure I could have sold it for more on ebay or cl, but I sacrificed a few dollars for getting it done today, and didn't have to fool with listing it, taking pics of it, shipping it, waiting for paypay, etc.. I have sold my previous iPhones on ebay and made enough $$ to have a 'free' upgrade, but this time it was worth it to make it happen in one afternoon.

Thanks MacRumors! I check your site at least 3-4 times a day and I usually come away with knowledge and today I came away with knowledge, a good price and a new phone for my wife.

geenosr
geenosr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:04 PM   #30
charliex5
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geenosr View Post
I called 4 "The Shack" stores today after reading the story on macrumors, and all 4 gave me different answers to "Do you know about the $30.00 off iPhone 4 and 4S? The answers I got ranged from "no" to "they're only for refurb phones" to "only iPhone 4 models". So I tried one more store and they had 1 iPhone 4S in stock and they actually knew about the discount. So I took my wife's 3GS 16 gig beat up phone and off I went. When I got there, the salesman was nice, but had not actually done many (if any) iPhone sales/activations. So it took a while, but after the discount/upgrade eligible/trade in numbers were crunched, I walked out with a new iPhone 4S white 16 gig for less than $85.00. What blew me away was they gave me a $100.00 trade in fee for a well used phone. I was not expecting that much, but I didn't argue at all. I'm sure I could have sold it for more on ebay or cl, but I sacrificed a few dollars for getting it done today, and didn't have to fool with listing it, taking pics of it, shipping it, waiting for paypay, etc.. I have sold my previous iPhones on ebay and made enough $$ to have a 'free' upgrade, but this time it was worth it to make it happen in one afternoon.

Thanks MacRumors! I check your site at least 3-4 times a day and I usually come away with knowledge and today I came away with knowledge, a good price and a new phone for my wife.

geenosr
This is why I typically avoid Radio Shack like the plague. I'm in the market for 2 iPhones and would love to save $60. The only Shack near me is just useless.
charliex5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:58 PM   #31
geenosr
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: South
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex5 View Post
This is why I typically avoid Radio Shack like the plague. I'm in the market for 2 iPhones and would love to save $60. The only Shack near me is just useless.
I never would have gone unless it was going to be a 1-stop shop, and the salesman told me he would hold the only iPhone they had in stock until I got there.
geenosr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:18 PM   #32
charliex5
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
So I called about 6 Radio Shacks today and figured out that franchise stores are the ones not doing the deal. The corporate stores on the other hand seemed to know exactly what I was talking about.

Seems I'll be making a slight road trip! It's only an hour and a half away and I think its worth it to save $60 and get out of my small town for an afternoon!
charliex5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:29 PM   #33
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Any signup fees?
__________________
FireWire 1394 Intelligent network guaranteed data transfer, 1500mA power, Ethernet compatible
Read: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 70% faster then USB2
Write: 160 files, 650MB total, FW400 48% faster
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 02:36 PM   #34
charliex5
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
There is an $18 activation fee per line.
charliex5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:16 PM   #35
dfnj123
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex5 View Post
There is an $18 activation fee per line.
That's only for AT&T... Verizon has no upgrade fees and Sprint has a $36 upgrade fee...
dfnj123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:58 PM   #36
JonAvalon
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Perfect timing, was hoping for a deal for the 4s. Will def get mine now

Last edited by JonAvalon; Dec 12, 2011 at 09:51 PM.
JonAvalon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:50 AM   #37
homeward
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Westchester County, NY
4 iPhones

Two Radio Shack stores didn't know what I was talking about. The third one did. They said it was an unadvertised special. The $36 per phone activation fee for ATT was waived if I bought 4 screen protectors, which I did. Phones were $169. There was some difficulty putting the order through, so they gave me a 10% reduction in the monthly $69.99 2-line base fee for the duration of the 2-year contract. $100 per phone for Apple Care. - seems to cover everything. Even accidental damage such as water damage is covered (but with a $49 deductible); phone company plans don't cover water damage at all. I will have 3 happy kids on Christmas morning. (2 College Kids and a high schooler, in case you're wondering).

Last edited by homeward; Dec 13, 2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: explanation
homeward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:45 PM   #38
KindredMAC
macrumors 6502a
 
KindredMAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Got mine in Watertown, NY!

The staff there were awesome and extremely knowledgable!
They didn't have any in stock but we went through everything, paid and it is being shipped to my house tomorrow!!!!

Only one down side is that since it is a Christmas gift for my wife, we have to take it in on the 26th to activate it. BUT WHO FRICKIN CARES?!?!?!? I GOT IT FOR $169!!!!
__________________
Mac mini HDMI / MacBookPro 15" Late 2008 / iPhone 5 / iPad 4 / TV3 / Airport Extreme
"We want to let go of this notion that for Apple to win, Microsoft has to lose." - Steve Jobs
KindredMAC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:16 PM   #39
charliex5
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Well, I drove up to Spokane today and got the deal. The staff was very nice and helpful. A first for my Radio Shack experiences. The only downside was that my wife's phone had apparently been used before as she stumbled upon some tasteless nudie picks of a very unattractive person. Ugh. I'm still shuddering just to think of them.
charliex5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:13 PM   #40
Surely
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Target is offering $25 off a 4 or 4S.
Surely is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 06:08 AM   #41
mackandproud
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
This is completely unacceptable: they are advertising the discount for NEW phones.

PS: If you keep it, you might want to use some sanitizer wipes on that phone. Nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex5 View Post
Well, I drove up to Spokane today and got the deal. The staff was very nice and helpful. A first for my Radio Shack experiences. The only downside was that my wife's phone had apparently been used before as she stumbled upon some tasteless nudie picks of a very unattractive person. Ugh. I'm still shuddering just to think of them.
mackandproud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:12 AM   #42
mingoglia
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Picked up a 4S for the wife last night with just an hour to spare. I have to give them some props. The store I went to didn't carry iphones at all, but he checked the system and looked for one in his district. He found a couple (according to the system), but called the stores and they were out (unless the store managers were lying to hang on to them). He then started looking at out of district Radio Shacks. He found one 40 miles away at another store.

They have to ring up the phone by the deadline in order to get the discount. He got the other manager (out of district I might add) to "transfer" the phone to his store and he read the appropriate numbers off the phone over the phone so he could enter all of it into the system to check me out. He then said he would drive to that store on his way in the next day to pick it up for me...

I was really happy with the overall experience. For several years now I'm amazed that Radio Shack can keep the doors open due to not really knowing anyone that buys much from them anymore. They definitely need to try to put the customer service hat on to stand out, and it looks like this store has.

Let's just hope I get a new one and not a "used" one with pornographic pictures like a previous poster.

Mike
mingoglia is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have experience buying iPhone 5 from Radioshack? Vell843 iPhone 31 Sep 23, 2014 06:48 PM
Apple Begins Offering Unlocked, SIM-Free iPhone 5s Models in U.S. with 1-2 Week Shipping MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 136 Feb 6, 2014 02:42 AM
RadioShack Now Offering Mac Accessories MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 111 Jun 28, 2013 09:47 PM
Rovio and Apple Offering 'Angry Birds Rio' as Free App of the Week MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 30 Jan 20, 2013 01:09 PM
So if I have an issue with my iPhone, and I bought it from radioshack... tymaster50 iPhone 8 Oct 24, 2012 06:15 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC