Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
How would you propose we do that? By simply turning off iTunes Match and then turning it back on? We could do that before.

cant u just right click on the songs u want to re-match by clicking "add to cloud" ? i always do that when i changed something on the taggs and its not doing the whole library again, just those few songs i picked

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Snappier or Crappier? :D

Am I misunderstanding this...? I thought your device had to be plugged in somewhere in order to sync over Wifi.... From the release notes:

<<Wi-Fi Syncing. Automatically sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes any time they're both on the same Wi-Fi network.>>

It hast to be plugged in to automatically sync. You can manually force it to sync without it being plugged in.

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
Hopefully we get some iTunes Match fixes for iOS as well. Can't count how many times I go to play a song on my iPhone and it just sits there, not playing anything, or just skips right to the next track. Frustrating when you are at the gym or out running.

Also, the update isn't showing for me yet for some reason (California).

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Sorry, but you are completely wrong:

1. This package is a full install package, not an incremental update.

His point was exactly that. Apple is horrible about patching software using incremental updates. Instead of pushing out a full package they should only push out incremental updates and have full installs available if needed. This is especially true with things like XCode where they might make some minor changes and developers get to download multiple gigabytes again.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
That's it?
Very sad to see they haven't addressed the smart playlist ordering issue when synching to devices, the very long delay as it works out what tracks to sync to devices, the episode ordering problem when synching to devices...

My iPod currently isn't a working iPod. It's a "breakthrough internet" device and "gaming platform" but no music or video player. (have to go back to using my Zune for the time being and that is not fun.)

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Stupid Apple User

It has never ceased to amaze me that Apple iTunes updates are not only incredibly bloated (100MB for a few fixes), but that they are almost twice the size of their Windows equivalent.

Apple is now distributing most of their updates in delta format, only sending what has changed. This is a huge step forward and dramatically reduces how many bytes they need to send out "for a few fixes". As explained, these numbers are the full download, not the delta.

Apple has acknowledged (not in words) that iTunes has become bloated and is visibly taking steps to address that, but it's a gradual process But it will happen.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
cant u just right click on the songs u want to re-match by clicking "add to cloud" ? i always do that when i changed something on the taggs and its not doing the whole library again, just those few songs i picked

Umm, no. Any songs already Matched or Uploaded no longer display that option. I also have 106 songs that show no state, but also do not display that option in the right-click menu. I've only ever seen it on songs I had just added to iTunes.

jW

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
It has never ceased to amaze me that Apple iTunes updates are not only incredibly bloated (100MB for a few fixes), but that they are almost twice the size of their Windows equivalent.

What does this tell us? Two things:

1. Apple is total crap when it comes to partial updating of their software. Sure it is simpler to just make everyone download another 100MB file, but is 100MB really necessary for a few bug fixes?

2. Mac software is bloated compared to Windows, even after they have made a new GUI set for Windows to give it the Mac look. In this vein I should add that Apple insult Windows users by forcing their UI upon Windows users (imagine if MS Office looked like Windows 7 on a Mac).

iTunes is bloatware and horribly slow. It often fails to tell the user that files have not been copied when by all appearance they have been. Apple should invest some of their 80 billion dollars to employ some better programmers and testers then perhaps iTunes could be a lot better, and they may also fix the sleep and WIFI problems that 1500 forum postings have complained about.

Can anyone think of a reason why getting the whole package is better than a patch?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
His point was exactly that. Apple is horrible about patching software using incremental updates. Instead of pushing out a full package they should only push out incremental updates and have full installs available if needed. This is especially true with things like XCode where they might make some minor changes and developers get to download multiple gigabytes again.

It has to do with the way Apple Apps are installed:

- In Windows: An application is made of lots of files that install in different places, including Executables, Resource files, DLLs, shared-DLLs, etc., all scatter all over your computer. Sometimes shared DLLs conflict are not compatible among different versions, causing issues that can become a pain to troubleshoot. These many files can be updated individually, which is great, as it makes the update file tiny.
I have ran many times into installed applications that show different versions in Control Panel and the app itself.

- In OS X: Applications are installed as one bundled package. For most applications, every component of the app is contained inside this package, and users don't have to worry about these components at all, saving a lot of time troubleshooting conflicts if these ever arise.
Updates are basically whole new installations of the application, but help preserve the integrity of the app package.

I rather wait for the file to download, than spend hours troubleshooting conflicts with a DLL that who knows where it is hiding.

----------

Apple is now distributing most of their updates in delta format, only sending what has changed. This is a huge step forward and dramatically reduces how many bytes they need to send out "for a few fixes". As explained, these numbers are the full download, not the delta.

Apple has acknowledged (not in words) that iTunes has become bloated and is visibly taking steps to address that, but it's a gradual process But it will happen.

Apple will eventually do it, and do it right.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Can anyone think of a reason why getting the whole package is better than a patch?
If you manage multiple computers of different configurations, it might be easier just to walk around with a thumbdrive with full package(s), rather than downloading and installing on each machine.

Plus, if you rebuild a drive or acquire a new computer, it may be easier to grab the most recent packages from a local drive, etc. rather than redownload everything.

This would be more important in a business or school where there are a sizable number of Macs to support.

JQW

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2006
What error about importing CDs ? I've just imported several CDs from my collection but I haven't heard anything disturbing..not that I was paying attention

The problem only affected CDs encoded with Pre-emphasis. Pre-emphasis encoded CDs have high frequencies boosted to some extent, and need them to be reduced after ripping. Pre-emphasis supposedly provides a better noise-floor than normal CDs, but is only of a benefit to music with a large dynamic range.

It seems that the software component of iTunes that implemented the equalisation curve developed a fault as of iTunes 10.5, producing heavily distorted discs.

Very few CDs these days are encoded with pre-emphasis - limited mainly to some independent classical labels, such as BIS and the discs provided with the BBC Music Magazine. In the past, though, it was more common, particularly with CDs pressed in Japan.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Still holding out

I, like I'm sure many others, am glad I've held out on upgrading to Lion and iOS5 altogether. It looks like it still isn't ready for a hastle-free upgrade. Perhaps in another month or two. I'm in dire need of a new MacBook pro, but I'm holding out until things have stabalized more.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

Are you and 'developers' really hurting for bandwith to the point that this download is really going to be a significant burden on you? Personally, I get warm fuzzies with full package installs, knowing that I'm getting every possible bit that might have changed. It also minimizes hard drive fragmentaion of the app being upgraded.

krzyglue

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
It has to do with the way Apple Apps are installed:

- In Windows: An application is made of lots of files that install in different places, including Executables, Resource files, DLLs, shared-DLLs, etc., all scatter all over your computer. Sometimes shared DLLs conflict are not compatible among different versions, causing issues that can become a pain to troubleshoot. These many files can be updated individually, which is great, as it makes the update file tiny.
I have ran many times into installed applications that show different versions in Control Panel and the app itself.

- In OS X: Applications are installed as one bundled package. For most applications, every component of the app is contained inside this package, and users don't have to worry about these components at all, saving a lot of time troubleshooting conflicts if these ever arise.
Updates are basically whole new installations of the application, but help preserve the integrity of the app package.

I rather wait for the file to download, than spend hours troubleshooting conflicts with a DLL that who knows where it is hiding.

----------

Apple will eventually do it, and do it right.

DLL hell is more a result of stupid developers who feel like it's a good idea to dump DLLs into the system32 directory or something instead of in the exe folder itself, where Microsoft suggests they reside. This is almost universally the case now (on Windows 7 for instance).

Delta updates are trickier to do though for that's for sure. Maybe Apple could take an approach similar to how many games are patched? Because someone has already been doing it right, and has been for the longest while: Steam.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I hope this fixes iTunes Match's ability to...well...match. I have about 20 albums in iTunes where all songs, but 1, had been matched. These are all albums that I personally ripped, so they are legit mp3s. What is so special about these songs I could not match?

Has iTunes Match really made my life simpler and easier if I now have to face the prospect of having to dig through the boxes in the attic to possibly locate my old CDs so I can attempt to rerip and rematch them?

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
What error about importing CDs ? I've just imported several CDs from my collection but I haven't heard anything disturbing..not that I was paying attention

Not sure why you have been down voted, I wasn't aware of it either and having recently imported some CD's I'd like to know more about the problem. The only distortion thing I was aware of is that something corrupted a bought m4a that had been synced to an iPhone; it now warbles when playing where before it didn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.