Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

onenote-150x150.jpg

Microsoft's Office team introduced an iPhone version of OneNote to-do/notes application earlier this year, and has now followed it up with an iPad edition.
Whether you need to track and share shopping lists, gift-giving plans, recipe clippings and collections, or event and travel planning, you'll never forget or miss a thing with OneNote by your side.

What's new in this version

OneNote for iOS builds on previous releases with the following new features in version 1.3:

- Support for iPad and iPad 2
- Localization into several new languages and markets
- Tabbed user interface
- Quick note creation in the Unfiled Notes section
- Table rendering
- Improved Windows Live sign-in experience
- Option to sync notebooks only over a Wi-Fi connection
- Integrated upgrade option
onenotescreenie.jpg

New for the latest edition of OneNote is a limit on how many notes can be created in the free edition. Now, up to 500 notes is free for all users, but to unlock unlimited functionality is unlocked via in-app purchase, $4.99 on the iPhone and $14.99 on the iPad.

OneNote is free on the App store for the iPad [Direct Link] or the iPhone [Direct Link].

Article Link: Microsoft OneNote Arrives on iPad

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Hehe, wow! In my opinion, OneNote is probably one of the best Office Applications out there, particularly for students. I can see that being a pretty big hit if Microsoft have done a good job =]

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Interesting... It kind of confirms Microsoft's interest to bring their office suite to iOS. Only time will tell...

----------

Hehe, wow! In my opinion, OneNote is probably one of the best Office Applications out there, particularly for students. I can see that being a pretty big hit if Microsoft have done a good job =]

Is there anything comparable to it in iOS? Well, the OneNote advantage is also having a Windows version of it.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
What's the big advantage of something like this over, say, OmniFocus, 2Do, or any of the full-featured ToDo/Note-taking apps for iOS already that sync with the cloud? There are some substantial ones for iOS, especially for the iPad.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
What's the big advantage of something like this over, say, OmniFocus, 2Do, or any of the full-featured ToDo/Note-taking apps for iOS already that sync with the cloud? There are some substantial ones for iOS, especially for the iPad.

do you even know what OneNote is and what it does? they are made for entirely different tasks ..

Last edited:

Suspended
Oct 24, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Another M$ app to avoid.

Last edited by a moderator:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
do you even know what OneNote is and what it does? they are made for entirely different tasks ..

It looks like Evernote with some collab features.

Tell me why it's a big deal. Who knows, I might just buy it.

Last edited:

Zaqfalcon

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
Can't add new notebook!

Can you create notebooks in this app? I can't figure out how to do it.

Ditto.

Looks like you can't add new notebooks on the iPad and can only do this from within Skydrive online or OneNote for PC. This seems exceptionally stupid if you can't do something as simple as this.

A pity as, although I've enjoyed using Evernote on the iPad, I'm not permitted to add the application to my desktop at work (or OneNote for that ), but I can access Skydrive online.

Unless they add this basic function this is a FAIL from me.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
It looks like Evernote with some collab features.

Tell me why it's a big deal. Who knows, I might just buy it.

First and foremost it's a free-form note-taking application, not a Task-Manager, which is a huge difference. This alone makes the comparison to OmniFocus invalid, as OmniFocus is a full-blown Task-Manager, not a Note-Taking-Tool. 2Do is basically an application to manage arrays of text input (a list with strings). Of course it adds functionality like marking things as done etc., but at it's core it's just a fancy list.

As I stated in the first sentence, OneNote is a free-form note-taking app. That means that the program logic does not force you to use predetermined spaces (Views) to input data. Consequently you can just click anywhere on your "page" and start typing stuff. But not only that, as you can also cut, copy and paste from nearly anywhere and put it into your page as well. You could, for example, enter some text and press a button inside OneNote which lets you cut and paste anything thats visible on the screen. It's kinda hard to explain without going further into details, but OneNote is basically the nearest you can get to a piece of paper which you can obviously use to write down anything you want, anywhere you want (which is huge in order to arrange text, pictures etc. the way YOU want).

Besides Excel, OneNote is the best application Microsoft has ever written, and that's not because it's very complex, but it works flawlessly and very straight forward. Especially if you have a tablet-Pc, you'll LOVE OneNote!:cool:

If they didn't implemented the "free-form" aspect of the desktop app, I don't see "any" benefits besides Windows support though:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
First and foremost it's a free-form note-taking application, not a Task-Manager, which is a huge difference. This alone makes the comparison to OmniFocus invalid, as OmniFocus is a full-blown Task-Manager, not a Note-Taking-Tool. 2Do is basically an application to manage arrays of text input (a list with strings). Of course it adds functionality like marking things as done etc., but at it's core it's just a fancy list.

As I stated in the first sentence, OneNote is a free-form note-taking app. That means that the program logic does not force you to use predetermined spaces (Views) to input data. Consequently you can just click anywhere on your "page" and start typing stuff. But not only that, as you can also cut, copy and paste from nearly anywhere and put it into your page as well. You could, for example, enter some text and press a button inside OneNote which lets you cut and paste anything thats visible on the screen. It's kinda hard to explain without going further into details, but OneNote is basically the nearest you can get to a piece of paper which you can obviously use to write down anything you want, anywhere you want (which is huge in order to arrange text, pictures etc. the way YOU want).

Besides Excel, OneNote is the best application Microsoft has ever written, and that's not because it's very complex, but it works flawlessly and very straight forward. Especially if you have a tablet-Pc, you'll LOVE OneNote!:cool:

If they didn't implemented the "free-form" aspect of the desktop app, I don't see "any" benefits besides Windows support though:rolleyes:

And how many millions of free-form note-taking apps already exist for iPad? Just asking, mind you...:rolleyes:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Besides Excel, OneNote is the best application Microsoft has ever written, and that's not because it's very complex, but it works flawlessly and very straight forward.

If they didn't implemented the "free-form" aspect of the desktop app, I don't see "any" benefits besides Windows support though :roll eyes:

Mental Note, PaperDesk, Organizer HD, Notability, Penultimate, Awesome Note HD, etc. There are too many to mention. I own some of them.

I'm sure OneNote will be near the top of the heap with those features, but it will certainly not be without some stiff competition. However, I'm quite interested to see what it will bring to the table. It's already on the App Store, too. Nice to see it's a free download with the option to upgrade in-app.

Last edited:

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
Awesome Notes has been part of my iPad life for so long that I don't need nothing more. it looks good, it sync, it let you make To Do Lists, and also include a Diary version note feature just for free... so... to hell with others LONG LIVE AWESOME NOTES!!! ;)

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Awesome Notes has been part of my iPad life for so long that I don't need nothing more. it looks good, it sync, it let you make To Do Lists, and also include a Diary version note feature just for free... so... to hell with others LONG LIVE AWESOME NOTES!!! ;)

I have several note taking apps, many of these I have removed from my iPad. I haven't tried Awesome Note HD yet, I'll take a look.

I still haven't found the perfect note taking app.
IMO, it should use PDF as its native file format.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
I don't understand why more developers don't make universal iOS apps, having a single app for iPad and iPhone/iPod touch. Especially if it's free. Does anyone know why this might be?

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd be happy if the Notes app that comes with iOS would work properly, but lately it has been overwriting updated notes with old versions when I sync. I tried a couple of other apps but all have serious limitations.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Total Letdown

I've been waiting for this app since I switched to Mac a while back. This is a disgrace in terms of apps. Magicalpad does what Onenote should have been doing all along. MS blew it on this version. Hopefully they will bring it up to speed because there's no reason the iPad version can't do what the desktop version does.

cclboss

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
I haven't downloaded this to take a look but seeing some of the comments that there is no OS X client at the moment doesn't bode well for this. I use Evernote extensively and there is a client for OS X, iPad and iPhone so is there any compelling reason for me to try OneNote. Wouldn't mind giving it a go but there's gotta be some upside before I take the plunge. :confused:

bniu

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Another M$ app to avoid.

as much as an Apple fan I am, Microsoft makes some quality stuff. Windows 7 is actually pretty nice and I use it every now and then. Xbox 360 kinect is pretty interesting, and no one makes better productivity software than Microsoft right now.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd be happy if the Notes app that comes with iOS would work properly, but lately it has been overwriting updated notes with old versions when I sync. I tried a couple of other apps but all have serious limitations.

Your question is valid, and one I wonder about also, but for this app specifically, it's more of a "freemium" app as there's a $15 in app purchase required if you use more than a certain amount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.