Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lithomangcc

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
It has never ceased to amaze me that Apple iTunes updates are not only incredibly bloated (100MB for a few fixes), but that they are almost twice the size of their Windows equivalent.
…

Apple is total crap when it comes to partial updating of their software. Sure it is simpler to just make everyone download another 100MB file, but is 100MB really necessary for a few bug fixes?

Software update was 16MB don't know what you are talking about.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Match still doesn't see everything for me. I keep testing Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours", which is available on iTunes...the full album.

I've ripped and re-ripped my CD i don't know how many times in different formats and bitrates. But Match refuses to see all the tracks on the album. Of the 11 tracks, Match finds 6 of them, and uploads the 5 remaining. I can't get match to recognize the 5 remaining tracks and give me back the Matched version.

About half of my library is like that...and about 95% of my entire library is available on iTunes, so Match should be seeing them all. I was hoping it would have gotten better about this, but so far it's the same old thing. If I wanted to upload all of these tracks, I would have just gone to Amazon or Google.

spidertaker23

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2009
Match still doesn't see everything for me. I keep testing Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours", which is available on iTunes...the full album.

I've ripped and re-ripped my CD i don't know how many times in different formats and bitrates. But Match refuses to see all the tracks on the album. Of the 11 tracks, Match finds 6 of them, and uploads the 5 remaining. I can't get match to recognize the 5 remaining tracks and give me back the Matched version.

About half of my library is like that...and about 95% of my entire library is available on iTunes, so Match should be seeing them all. I was hoping it would have gotten better about this, but so far it's the same old thing. If I wanted to upload all of these tracks, I would have just gone to Amazon or Google.

I totally agree with you. My entire library is filled with albums where it missings 2 to 3 of the tracks. Super annoying. Plus you can't do a match check one track at a time.

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002
iTunes Match vs non-Match device bug FIXED

Well, they fixed the bug I reported, at least! I have the "Convert higher bit-rate songs to 128kbps AAC" option checked in iTunes so my ~80GB of music fits easily on my 64GB iPhone (obviously lower quality, but when I'm listening to music on my phone I'm not audiophiling it). I also have iTunes Match turned on on my computer, so I can sync up on a per-track basis on my iPods and other computers quickly and easily.

Before, when I plugged my iPhone in iTunes would tell me that there was too much music being synced to the device; it would take the original 160-320kbps bitrate songs' sizes into the calculation. It would still sync everything, so I think it was just a display bug.

In any case, that's fixed. Now the little thermometer gauge correctly claims I have 37.9GB of music on my iPhone, and ~80GB of music that is being synced over.

lemikam

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2007
How about they fix...

the metadata cataclysm that goes on when an iOS device tries to home share video - especially TV Shows - with a computer? Do I really have 19 seasons of Arrested Development, iPad? Really? Because I seem to remember it being cancelled after 3.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
It has never ceased to amaze me that Apple iTunes updates are not only incredibly bloated (100MB for a few fixes), but that they are almost twice the size of their Windows equivalent.

What does this tell us? Two things:

1. Apple is total crap when it comes to partial updating of their software. Sure it is simpler to just make everyone download another 100MB file, but is 100MB really necessary for a few bug fixes?

Apple provides a fully compiled App package. This saves having to modify an existing App package and introduce the potential for error (and needing "combo" and "delta" updates for iTunes

2. Mac software is bloated compared to Windows, even after they have made a new GUI set for Windows to give it the Mac look. In this vein I should add that Apple insult Windows users by forcing their UI upon Windows users (imagine if MS Office looked like Windows 7 on a Mac).

As has been stated above iTunes for Mac is a Universal App. This means it runs on both PowerPC and Intel Macs. It also has a 64 bit runtime for capable Intel Macs. Effectively it is compiled for three different platforms. (PPC, x86, x86_64)

iTunes is bloatware and horribly slow. It often fails to tell the user that files have not been copied when by all appearance they have been. Apple should invest some of their 80 billion dollars to employ some better programmers and testers then perhaps iTunes could be a lot better, and they may also fix the sleep and WIFI problems that 1500 forum postings have complained about.

Whilst I agree iTunes is very bloated and really needs rewriting in Cocoa (it uses Carbon, a legacy API), I do not have the speed issues or copying issues you're complaining about. Perhaps if you provided Apple some feedback instead of whining on a forum they ignore, they may even help you.

I'll even provide you the correct link http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

EDIT: it seems Apple have determined when a delta update is suitable, as indicated by the small download on Software Update.

Last edited:

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
Why is the Mac version substantially larger than the Windows version?
Is it because the Mac version is a Universal App, or because the Windows version shares DLLs while the way Mac apps are packed?

EDIT: I just answered my question: It is a universal App! Apple should give us the choice to download an Intel only package for Mac!

This is not the case for me, it was 16.6 MB on OSX and 64 MB on Windows 7.

omgwut

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
Major bummer. I was hoping for a moment this update would fix it, but all the songs I deleted from iCloud are still showing up on my iPhone and I can't play or delete them. I can't think of anything.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
It's only 16.6 MB for me through software update.
If you get it from Apple.com/iTunes then it'll be 100MB+ because it's a Universal app and the full download as they're assuming you don't have it.

If you get it from Software Update on Lion it's the delta and only 16.6MB.

screenshot20111212at534.png

If you get it from Software Update on Leopard (PPC) it's 79.0MB. I would assume that's the full PPC version.

picture1cyd.jpg

While that's certainly better I still don't understand why it's not in the App Store yet.

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
44MB on Snow Leopard

What annoys me is that you can no longer trim out the Universal Binary like you used to be able to.

JasonQG

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011

To me, the opposite problem is far worse. I have songs that are incorrectly matched to a different version of the same song. I'd like to be able to force those to upload instead of putting up with a different version of the song than the one I actually want.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I rather wait for the file to download, than spend hours troubleshooting conflicts with a DLL that who knows where it is hiding.

Is downloading a ~ 100 mb file really that much of an issue for anybody with broadband? How long does that take? Five to ten minutes on a painfully slow connection. A couple minutes on a fast one.

I'm with you. I much prefer the Mac approach, rather than the Windows version which fills your Windows folder with (quite literally) hundreds of thousands of cryptically-named files, most of which you have no idea what they do.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
What error about importing CDs ? I've just imported several CDs from my collection but I haven't heard anything disturbing..not that I was paying attention

Same here, just imported a couple of discs. No issues on them.

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Updated to version 5.2 when I first seem it on the front page on macrumors on the apple download page, Since it wasn't available yet when I checked the apple updates

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
I got this error after updating 'iTunes Library cannot be saved (Error -54)'

This fixed it though- Close iTunes, delete iTunes Library.xml.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Same here. 16.6MB, OSX 10.7.2. Not sure where everyone is getting the 100MB total from.

If you go to the iTunes page, that's what you get: the full installation. You should find the incremental update in Software Update or on the web at the Support Section.

Those who couldn't wait, got the large size file. So much nagging and complaining for no good reason; only to spread negativity.

Last edited:

tbsteph

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2006
Arizona
No match

I totally agree with you. My entire library is filled with albums where it missings 2 to 3 of the tracks. Super annoying. Plus you can't do a match check one track at a time.

Interesting issue. I ripped several Beatle's CD's (their 27 number 1's for example) where some match and others are uploaded. Obviously "match" has some hole in it.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Why is the Mac version substantially larger than the Windows version?
Is it because the Mac version is a Universal App, or because the Windows version shares DLLs while the way Mac apps are packed?

EDIT: I just answered my question: It is a universal App! Apple should give us the choice to download an Intel only package for Mac!

... it IS Intel only...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.