Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nellisere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Hey, I have an iPhone 4 officialy activated so I have valid push certs, and Facebook push notifications work, but twitters don't, and haven't for a while. Anyone know how I can fix this? I get twitter texts but they arn't brilliant because it's harder to reply.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Wish I knew the answer. I have tried everything and cannot get push notifications from Twitter (the official Twitter app). They don't work on my iPad nor iPhone 4S. Yep, turned them on everywhere you are supposed to. Erased and redownloaded app--no luck.

Was really hoping to be able to just use the official Twitter app without getting back into trying a new Twitter app daily; never settling on one in particular.

Michael

nellisere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Wish I knew the answer. I have tried everything and cannot get push notifications from Twitter (the official Twitter app). They don't work on my iPad nor iPhone 4S. Yep, turned them on everywhere you are supposed to. Erased and redownloaded app--no luck.

Was really hoping to be able to just use the official Twitter app without getting back into trying a new Twitter app daily; never settling on one in particular.

Michael

They worked on my iPad, do you think it could be my carrier blocking the certain ports? (GiffGaff)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
They worked on my iPad, do you think it could be my carrier blocking the certain ports? (GiffGaff)

I don't know anything about GiffGaff, but that seems unlikely. FWIW I get Twitter notifications on my 4S in iOS 5.

I don't think the notification settings inside Twitter (that is, in the Twitter app Me -> Settings -> Notifications -> Messages (on), etc are device specific, but you've double checked those, right? For Twitter you have to have the notifications properties in iOS turned on for it and also you have to tell the Twitter app what you want to be notified about. It sounds like you've checked all that, but just checking.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England

No. I know several people who are on giffgaff and no such notification problems. Might want to have a better look around your settings, re-install or use another app. Personally I really like tweetbot.

nellisere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
I would go to Twitter website on computer and check under your profile and make sure you have set the alerts you want.

How do I do that? all I can find is E-Mail alerts and Text Alerts (in the mobile tab)

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
I think you're correct. Twitter on iPhone has to be authorized to your account (in order to do pretty much anything), but I don't think there are settings for this kind of notification on the website.

Yeah i couldn't find any either. I would just try reinstalling and making sure everything is up to date ...

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Are you sure that you are expecting push notifications for the correct things? For the longest time I thought I should get a push whenever something new showed up in my timeline but it only is for mentions and new followers and a few other specific things.

nellisere

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2011
Hey, I got it working! I went into what apps had access on the twitter website and revoked access to everything I didn't use, like ubersocial for blackberry and twitter for android (don't have them phones anymore) and the twitter for iphones and iOS things, deleted the app on my phone, and reinstalled and it works now! :D Thanks for the help everyone :)

Brandrune

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Hey all,

Just wondered if anyone else has these issues at all? Reinstalled a load of times now and revoked access etc. Decided to leave it for now on the advice of a well knowledged guy on Twitter and MacRumors as nothing was working. Any ideas appreciated.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Twitter (official app) push notifications work for me without a problem. iOS 5.0.1 on 4th gen iPod Touch. Just got a mention notification yesterday actually. Showed up the same as Mail, iMessages, FB, etc. notifications do.

Brandrune

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
So I left it to charge overnight and woke up to find it working...until about 18:00 today where it has just stopped. Could it be battery or the time of day stopping it perhaps? Can only think of again leaving it and seeing what happens tomorrow.

rcmit

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
IL
Only DM and @mentions

Every Twitter App I've tried will push only direct messages and mentions. I have two accounts (personal and hobby) and want to be notified of all tweets (not following many). The only way that I've found to do this is to have Twitter send me a text message and enable mobile notifications for everyone I follow. Unfortunately a phone number can only be associated with one Twitter account I've tried using my Google Voice number for the second phone but can't activate it because GV can't send texts to short codes (40404).

You could try Boxcar and set up a "Twitter Follow" service in the App for everyone you follow whose tweets you want to get notified about.

Ok... I'm long-winded; but I hope something in here helps!

kwamayze

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
I have the same problem too. Push notifications for all apps work except twitter.

----------

Weird thing is I tried other twitter apps today and push notifications worked. It just wouldn't work for the official twitter app.

Brandrune

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Send an email to the mobile Twitter support team, they cleared the cache server side and fixed the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.