Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

skydrive-150x150.jpg

Microsoft has released an iPhone client app for its SkyDrive cloud-storage service. The app allows uploads of videos and photos to SkyDrive, as well as opening and managing files.
SkyDrive is your personal cloud for your documents, notes, photos and videos. Move your files into SkyDrive and immediately they're available from any web browser anywhere in the world. As we detailed a few days ago, there have been a number of recent updates to SkyDrive.com to improve how you share with others, manage your files and folders, and browse through your stuff blazingly fast utilizing the latest web technologies (like HTML5 and CSS3).

Yet as devices proliferate, having a great experience on the web is only one piece of a pretty complex puzzle. As people start to rely more on their smartphones, the need to be able to access files on-the-go is important. As we mentioned two weeks ago, we view device access as "table stakes" for personal cloud storage. People are choosing where to put their files based on how portable and accessible they are across the various devices they use; therefore, it's critical that we continue to extend the SkyDrive experience to the devices you use every day.
Microsoft has released a number of iOS apps this week, including an official Xbox Live app and Kinectimals.

Cloud storage services Dropbox and Apple's iDisk service both have iOS client apps.

SkyDrive is available for the iPhone, free from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Microsoft Releases SkyDrive Cloud Storage App for iPhone

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
It will be a question of 'when' MS will release Office for iOS not 'if', I am sure they have been extensively working on it for a very long time now - the only reason why they haven't released it is because of Windows Phone 7 (maybe they have already made it and are just holding from release).

Once we all know that WP7 has been a fail, Office iOS will definitely come. iOS is too big a market for MS to miss out.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Never heard of this before. Is ther an advantage to it over the offerings of Dropbox or is it more of a 'me too' app from MS?

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
From what is on MS' website, you get 25GB. Cannot buy more storage, yet, and everyone gets 25GB.

25GB certainly isn't bad for the low low price of free. Obviously better than 2GB from Dropbox. I wonder if it works as seemlessly.

GiantSteve

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
25 GB free storage on Microsoft's reliable cloud is great. I have a SkyDrive that I have used as a "digital attic" but now with the iOS app I will be able to make better utilization of it. But until (or if) it is as widely integrated into the app ecosystem as Dropbox it will not be my "go to" cloud storage vehicle.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I'm hoping I can use it to replace iDisk (since iDisk is going away in July) but unfortunately until I can access the SkyDrive through Finder on my Mac it's not going to be suitable.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Beautiful...we're rolling out Live@EDU to students where I work in a couple of weeks....they'll be happy to see this :)

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
Now, anyone know if we can access Skydrive as a Network Drive through Finder on OSX (rather than through a browser).

I've been looking at what is out there and similar to iDisk. I personally love having iDisk as a network drive, and the iOS app is wonderful, as well. iDisk is the #1 feature why I've shelled out for .mac and MobileMe for many years. However, if iDisk does go away and doesn't have a suitable replacement for Apple, I'll need to look at other options.

Dropbox is pretty nice, but I don't care for how there is only one folder which is synchronized.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
Just so you know, the MS SkyDrive service has been available for some times now. It's just the iOS app that is new...;)

But such services without any way to get access to it (in a non-web fashion) is... uninteresting.
So that makes this app more appealing.

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Never heard of this before. Is ther an advantage to it over the offerings of Dropbox or is it more of a 'me too' app from MS?

It's been around now for about 5 years

WOW! AWESOME 25GB free storage!

puts Apple iCloud data allocation to shame! Shame!

Now, anyone know if we can access Skydrive as a Network Drive through Finder on OSX (rather than through a browser).

There are third party Apps that will sync with it and behave like a folder/mounted drive, trouble is though each bit in between you and your data is another party you have to trust, and reduces security.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I've been looking at what is out there and similar to iDisk. I personally love having iDisk as a network drive, and the iOS app is wonderful, as well. iDisk is the #1 feature why I've shelled out for .mac and MobileMe for many years. However, if iDisk does go away and doesn't have a suitable replacement for Apple, I'll need to look at other options.

Dropbox is pretty nice, but I don't care for how there is only one folder which is synchronized.

You can creat sym links and sync any folder or sub folder to Dropbox you want.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
I'm in the exact same boat. Is there a Mac application made by Microsoft to access the SkyDrive? Or a way to access it through the Finder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.