Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stratus Fear

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I have a feeling his blog aspirations with dry up after Apple's legal team has him sign the mountain of NDA's waiting for him. Good luck though and way to go Dawgs! Yes I am a University of Georgia Alumni...

Agree, can't really see it any other way with the NDAs, but as a GT alum I must say, to hell with Georgia! :p :D

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

dethmaShine said:
the Assistant video was constrained by the reality of what Siri was supposed to look like. For his real work see http://www.youtube.com/janmike34

one example

YouTube: video

arn

I agree that his work is really good. But being very honest myself, I really think he had some information about how Siri would operate.

I mean:

- hold home button
- the exact same mic icon
- an exact pink UI overlay on the mic button
- the way Siri operates in its own view rather than some app in iOS.

I am not really trying to say that he stole it somehow, but this seems like he had some information about the product. On another note, MacRumors gearing up with him urges me to think that there's much more than meets the eye.

Read the article. I don't see why you are over thinking this. We told him what the Siri interface would look like and he implemented it. His non Siri work was likely what got him the job.

arn

JonKean

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
To hell with Georgia!

University of Georgia? Why wasn't this wiz kid at Georgia Tech?

phr34k

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
Atlanta
University of Georgia? Why wasn't this wiz kid at Georgia Tech?

Because Apple knows what all of Georgia has known forever... Tech sucks! Unless you count making a car that runs on used fry oil... Face it, we run this state and even pwn you in the IT world at times! GO DAWGS!

sessamoid

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
I agree that his work is really good. But being very honest myself, I really think he had some information about how Siri would operate.

I mean:

- hold home button
- the exact same mic icon
- an exact pink UI overlay on the mic button

I am not really trying to say that he stole it somehow, but this seems like he had some information about the product. On another note, MacRumors gearing up with him urges me to think that there's much more than meets the eye.

I guess you didn't realize that iOS4 already had Voice Control, which used these same UI features

- hold home button

It's not like he had any proprietary information or leaked secrets there.

Reborn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Again I'll reiterate (and I saw that video)

I for the life of me can't figure out why Apple would give this guy an internship, especially in UI design...nothing groundbreaking or unique in that video.

In fact, most of his work is below average or average at best.

Translation would be: I'M JEALOUS.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
He did a good job at getting the actual look of siri.

Edit: And i got down voted for what? Saying he did a good job at making a video of an unreleased and unshown product? Just wow, this is personally why i see voting as useless.

I voted you down cause you complained about voting. Get over it.

Tussen69

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
Thanks for the article MacRumors, and thanks everyone for the feedback!

Regarding the blog: I, of course, know better than that. Hence why I said "day-to-day happenings in Cupertino" rather than "Apple". The blog won't contain anything related to Apple, but more of general blogroll of things I may encounter, people I may meet, or photos I take around the city.

Congrats ! .. You worth it ..

1. I hope we will se thouse notifications UI improvments
2. 3rd party notification center widgets ...
3. Faster App Switching ..

4. Weather Icon should show the real local temp (its beyond me why this havent been fixed .. I mean even the newsstand icon shows the correct content per-say why oh why does the ewater show a fake temp value ..)

Stay hungry, stay foolish ...

OT.

I have one suggestion I hope you can take with you .. and that is Multiply Accounts on the iPad ..

I totaly get that the iPhone is personal .. = 1 user
iPod Touch Touch = 1 User ..

but the iPad is not used by one person .. its used by multiply persons in our home .. and it feels like a big mess because the iOS for iPad is not designed to be used with more then 1 user ..

I would like to have separate acounts on the ipad and separate icloud acounts ... so that I can "login" as me on our ipad and se my iPhone mail, content, photo stream, home screen and so on .. and then my wife can login with her user on the iPad and se her content, email, photo stream, home screen and so on ... you get the idea ... with Fast User Switching and so on ..

I dont think its a bad idea at all ..

Last edited:

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Or you could just post a video to youtube, have it feature on macrumors and have Apple offer you a 7month intership and learn how to make a killer UI.

My point was there are soooo many jealous people on this forum with the usual I could do better argument, but then I guess this is why they have so much free time to post on MR and do not have any invitations from Apple.

Way to miss my point. In the creative industry, listing an internship is at best a door opener; your portfolio is what truly matters.

As for the jealousy response, i agree with some of the posters that many of the movies showed nothing special. In fact, i found some of the proposed ideas to be quite dumb (from a UE perspective). That said, the designer in question did however seem to have a nack for proper implementation; i.e., while the idea itself wasn't necessarily the best, it was generally well implemented. He also showed skill in translation, while - as said - perhaps still have some distance to go in figuring out what - and especially what not - to translate.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
He did a good job at getting the actual look of siri.

Edit: And i got down voted for what? Saying he did a good job at making a video of an unreleased and unshown product? Just wow, this is personally why i see voting as useless.

I just down-voted you, solely for caring about being down-voted. Yes, it is useless.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
I like this kid's UI work. I particularly like what he has done with Notifications. On that note, Apple seriously needs to make some changes to iOS. I've bought every release of the iPhone and iPad but frankly I'm getting bored with the iOS. IMO, the current release of iOS looks almost identical to the initial offering. I think the OS needs an aesthetic overhaul. I also think Apple needs to give developers access to Notifications and they *really* need to allow for widgets. Anything short of this and I may very well jump ship. I also think Apple needs to increase the screen size of the iPhone to at least 4" but from what I've read that's a given so I'm not too concerned about that.

Now, before you flame me, understand that I have a MBA, ACD, iPhone 4S, iPad2 and Apple TV. I have always been a big supporter of Apple because I love their products and I love the community. That said, I have researched Ice Cream Sandwich and IMO it makes iOS look rather dated; something I never thought I would say.

I welcome your thoughts.

Last edited:

phreebsd

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2010
i have one question. How did he get the Siri sound, the ding, right in the mock-up video?

Seems like someone was privy to quite a bit of info or they used his overall design for the interface.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
That is right, the key words are "what would become" :) Every time I pinch the screen on my iPod Touch I think about the TV show " Kids in The Hall" and "I am pinching heads" :D Now that has got me thinking is there a "Pinching Heads" app.

Haha, classic sketch.

kith.bmp

"I'm crushing your head!"

That said, I have researched Ice Cream Sandwich and IMO it makes iOS look rather dated; something I never thought I would say.

I'm watching this video and it looks terrible:

TheTSArt

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
I'm not jealous of the guy, I'd never be jealous of an intern, seen too many of them come and go. You can be hopeful for the guy, but be realistic too.

I think he has talent, though, just not in UI design. I suspect many people praising his ideas now would dislike them if implemented.

I think if Apple were to really hire him, he'd be decent in instructional/promotional online videos. He understands Apple's style, but has a slightly different take on it, which is a good thing.

JPLC

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Netherlands
This is my dream, designing interfaces for Apple. Sounds like a true adventure the way you got there!

Keep dedicated for 100% and show them what you've got! Keep that elevator going!

And tell them about my first thread here on Macrumors... ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.