Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Great. Would have been better if it was built in the US, we could use jobs here but oh well. At least it's not being built in communist China.

-Mike

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Im not sure if apple should develop anything in Israel based off the conflicts in that area, I'm just thinking that even though that company is based there moving the company and building a center in a country with less tensions might be a better idea.

IMO, Tel Aviv is a more secure spot that New York or LA. The gun ownership in percentage in Israel matches or exceeds that of the USA. Fly over there and spend time time and get used to a stranger with a wife and kids walking down the street with an Uzi or pistol on them. Brits and other "civilized" types freak out when they initially see it but then they notice the lack of petty theft, unusual politeness and courtesy of the crowds. Intel also has an R&D centers and some fabs in Israel.

----------

Great. Would have been better if it was built in the US, we could use jobs here but oh well. At least it's not being built in communist China.

-Mike

IMO, The implosion of China in the 21st century is the big story that no one is willing to tell. Sure the production numbers are up but know the local language and spend some time there.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
Apple please invest more in the UK, we need jobs! :D
Salutes mate, so do we in the US. That makes two broke ass countries :)

----------

IMO, Tel Aviv is a more secure spot that New York or LA. The gun ownership in percentage in Israel matches or exceeds that of the USA. Fly over there and spend time time and get used to a stranger with a wife and kids walking down the street with an Uzi or pistol on them. Brits and other "civilized" types freak out when they initially see it but then they notice the lack of petty theft, unusual politeness and courtesy of the crowds. Intel also has an R&D centers and some fabs in Israel.

----------

IMO, The implosion of China in the 21st century is the big story that no one is willing to tell. Sure the production numbers are up but know the local language and spend some time there.

Nothing against the country really, just the people making money off modern day slavery and the poor Chinese people that make peanuts working under horrible conditions in these chemical infested pollution rich factories. Nobody really cares about them.

-Mike

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
Apple. You are an American company. Build your Semiconductor R&D Center in the US. Keep your critical jobs at home in your own country. Employ Americans.

Why would you build your Semiconductor R&D Center in such a volatile area? Simply because Intel has similar ones in the area? If it is for the local expertise import them back to the US. Sheesh.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

belltree said:
Apple. You are an American company. Build your Semiconductor R&D Center in the US. Keep your critical jobs at home in your own country. Employ Americans.

Why would you build your Semiconductor R&D Center in such a volatile area? Simply because Intel has similar ones in the area? If it is for the local expertise import them back to the US. Sheesh.

Perhaps all those Israelis are not interested in being relocated to the US?

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Because their buildings wear freaking body armor.

They went there because they can do business there easier. They can dump all the corrosive cancer causing chemicals down the toilet because regulation is probably non effing existent. Just the way corporations like it.
Has anyone seen the micro chip making process? Awesome and scary. Why scary? Because the chemicals used can give cancer to a rock!!

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What are you talking about? Israel is a first world nation with European-style environmental controls.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Im not sure if apple should develop anything in Israel based off the conflicts in that area, I'm just thinking that even though that company is based there moving the company and building a center in a country with less tensions might be a better idea.

Maybe you should call Cook and tell him that. :rolleyes:

pablo7

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CA.
My guess they'll hoard some more land for the new factory....LOL

My guess is or next major conflict as in the U.S. Involvement will be because we will stick our nose out for them when Iran goes nuclear.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Before everyone cries foul ponder this:

1) Everything that's excellent about Intels processors the last 5 years stems from their Israeli dev center. The Core architecture, beginning with "Yonah" (hint hint) has its home in Israel. And you are buying Apple stuff using this technology since.. the Intel switch.

2) The US is considered a terrorist state in a very large part of the world. And you are buying Apple stuff, are you?

Oooh you say: Apple doesn't have anything to do with the war of terror or the politics of the US. Well, I bet these technology companies doesn't terrorize their neighbors and is responsible for Israel's politics either.

I think this is an excellent move. For Apple. Not for the US. USA seems to suffer from brain drain as more and more high tech development and manufacturing moves over seas.

I care about Apple, not USA. It's two different entities. Which is my point entirely.

And here I was thinking the name Yonah was derived from the Mount Yonah located in north Georgia, USA.

The R&D center for this US company should be/remain located in the US.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
First point: It's unlikely that total warfare will break out again. It's been proven that insurgent forces are able to tie Israel down much more ably with greater human cost. Jordan and Egypt have peace agreements, and Syria/Lebanon have their own troubles at the moment.

If Iran tests their bomb, we'll have more than just Apple to worry about. I put my faith into the Mossad, though...

That's true, but I was looking further than just the past 63 years. Instability is pretty much that region of the world's namesake. Look at the Arab riots in the early thirties, or the British mandates in the early 1900s, or the Ottoman Empire's total lack of control for a hundred years before that...

Then maybe you should look at the instability in the United States before they became the United States as well as after.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Because it's inaccurate and ill-informed.

This is not true. The post was perhaps single-sided, but no one can deny that both sides have done a lot of damage to each other. Taking side, either side, is wrong. Unfortunately almost all posts in this thread took side, hence the down voting frenzy.

Either way it is such a controversial topic, interesting to observe

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada

Great move. Israel has a very deep talent pool and an excellent innovative track record in high tech (among other things). Good things will come of this.

Agreed. There's quite a bit of investing in the future going on at Apple. Nice to see.

sheperdcohen

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2008
This is not true. The post was perhaps single-sided, but no one can deny that both sides have done a lot of damage to each other. Taking side, either side, is wrong. Unfortunately almost all posts in this thread took side, hence the down voting frenzy.

Either way it is such a controversial topic, interesting to observe

The post you're referring to made statements that went much farther than saying "both countries have done a lot of damage." Those that are familiar with Israel and have lived there are well aware of how seriously Israeli take human rights, and how insulted they feel when people like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad or Bashar Assad, both gross violators of human rights, claim that Israel is purposely destroying innocent lives.

Now, back to the topic at hand, Israel is a great location for the R&D center as it is sprawling with modern technological innovation. In the long run, this will not only be good for Apple, but it will boost the American economy as well, directly proportional to Apple's success.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
The post you're referring to made statements that went much farther than saying "both countries have done a lot of damage." Those that are familiar with Israel and have lived there are well aware of how seriously Israeli take human rights, and how insulted they feel when people like Mahmoud Ahmadinejad or Bashar Assad, both gross violators of human rights, claim that Israel is purposely destroying innocent lives.
Those who are familiar with Palestinian people in refuge camps and Gazaa can argue otherwise re: human rights, so we can go into circular arguments forever, no one wins.

Look, let's just agree to disagree, we are not going to solve a 70 year old conflict on MacRumors.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan

Perhaps all those Israelis are not interested in being relocated to the US?

Then perhaps Apple should look harder and train US folks to do the same work and keep it local. Just my opinion of course. ;)

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Then perhaps Apple should look harder and train US folks to do the same work and keep it local. Just my opinion of course. ;)

As an Apple shareholder, I'm glad you aren't CEO of Apple after reading your ill-informed load of nonsense!

First of all, this is an R&D center, not a factory. Apple can't just "train" people to do R&D on semiconductors.

And second of all, all this stuff about how Apple should be more patriotic and hire more people in the US is sh**. American consumers happily bought stuff made in China because it was cheaper than stuff made in USA. What's wrong if Apple does the same?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.