Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

divinox

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2011
Another thing to think about with this... no pun intended... is that IBM's motto for many years has been "Think", and Apple in that timeframe was battling with the IBM PC (and compatibles). Just my opinion, but I believe that part of the reason for "Think Different" was to play off IBM's "Think" motto. Jobs was a brilliant guy.

Most certainly that was part of it. Still fail to see how it makes Jobs brilliant, when it apparently wasn't his idea to begin with.

----------

The so called biography is actually fiction then? Even to the very end, you're marketing yourself...

What else do you expect from the man who's biggest invention (and even that one was copied) was the RDF.

----------

"Nearly" could possible be the key there. Just today I was talking about how seemingly small correction can change the whole thing.

How about "nearly" the same iPhone, just with the physical keyboard? Or "nearly" the same iPhone without multitouch?

Maybe their first presentation was read in a fun manner. Maybe it was the same, just with the different last phrase: "They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as crazy, we see genius. Buy Apple Macintosh.". That would make "nearly" the same ad right into an "advertising agency ****".

How about iPhone without the jail breaking scene? Would we even be talking about hypothetical iPhone scenarios then?

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
who was the brilliant guy? re-read article dude.

great point about the IBM connection through. I had forgotten about that :)

My bad... I didn't read the article but was just commenting on my memory of the campaign.

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Who is this Steve Jobs guy everyone is talking about? Was he some exec at Apple? Obviously if he is still not with apple, he is not that smart!!

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
:eek:
And actually after reading so many statements of Steve he maybe should've put some thought into "Anger management"-seminars.

Gee - I wonder how many gastric ulcers he had before the whole cancer thing struck. Anything on that in the biography?

:cool:

Last edited:

parnas

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2007
How about iPhone without the jail breaking scene? Would we even be talking about hypothetical iPhone scenarios then?

What does that remark have to do with anything discussed in the news post or in my post?

John Frum

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2011
Reductio ad absurdum

"...the commercial...would eventually play a pivotal role in helping Apple achieve one of the greatest corporate turnarounds in business history ... the "Think Different" campaign quickly marked a turning point for the company even as it was still trying to develop new products to execute the dramatic turnaround."

Oh yeah, it was the ad campaign that turned the company around, not the products themselves [rolls eyes].

And people say that Steve Jobs took credit for things that he didn't deserve. This is so over the top it makes Steve's egoism look like humility.

"You know, that 'Think Different' commercial really hits home with me. Think I'll buy myself an Apple something or other."

Not by a long shot.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The Forbes article was a fantastic read. These types of posts are what keep me coming back to this site. Thanks.

eye

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2009
Detroit
Congrats on being shameless and tacky and using people's images and accomplishments for advertising they probably would not have wanted to be involved in. Does nobody else see how classless that is? Yeah, I understand it's legal, but legal doesn't mean ethical.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
This has to be placed in the annals of history as the dumbest most amazingly ignorant statement of the 21st century to date.

Jobs himself was almost completely ignorant about technical and business issues.

----------

Apple isn't different anymore. They have become what they once stood against.

B.S. you don't have approval ratings as high and so much love for your products by either advertising or being evil. It takes consistently good products that people ... Love!

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
B.S. you don't have approval ratings as high and so much love for your products by either advertising or being evil. It takes consistently good products that people ... Love!

Everyone didn't hate IBM either. Or Xerox. Or any other company Apple was against. Remember, they were the little guy. Now they are the very establishment that they once abhorred. Approval ratings have nothing to do with it. It's a matter of principles.

Dwhite78

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2010
I love how post Jobs biography, every joe blow is suddenly an "in the know" Apple historian.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Let me guess...99% of the folks here will still chalk this up as "Steve Jobs was a brilliant visionary! Look at the commercials he created!" My point is that Steve had plenty of failures and incorrect opinions but yet he is still proclaimed the Chosen One by so many.

He was a great CEO. He did not invent the iPod...Apple employees did. He "approved" everything that eventually was successful and everything that eventually failed. He actually created very little. Input? Sure...and likely quite a bit of input. Creation? Not really.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
I really liked the "think different" commercials and message even though, at that time, I was MS fanboy n°1. It was so much better than the current Apple commercials...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Haven't you read his biography? He never really liked it and kicked up a load of fuss about it until he saw that it worked.

That's how Steve's always been. The original iPhone's premise was a cloud device (a "breakthrough Internet communicator" so says the slide) and "apps" were to be basically mobile safari compatible web apps (you can still do these and save them as an icon on the springboard).

It's only when the community started asking and making native apps (mimicking what other phones had had for countless years prior with Symbian or J2ME and carrier based game/ringtone/app stores) that suddenly the "App store" and the SDK appeared (people will argue that Apple just wasn't ready, but I'm not buying it).

Apple is successful not because they are always right or because they are right the first time. They are successful because they know when they are wrong and how to adjust rather than scrap and start over.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.