Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrannySmith123

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011
I just got the otterbox defender series for my iphone 4s and it offers amazing protection. I like everything about the case except for the fact that the outside silicon cover WON'T STAY in place and now its coming off.

I just found out about the Griffin survivor case and this case looks very rugged. The question i have is that does the silicon on this case do the same thing as it does on the otterbox? I've also heard the case covers the light sensor and there is an annoying flap that covers the camera. Is this true?

I'm thinking of getting that case but I don't know if its worth $50.

PhilN

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2009
Northeastern PA
I have both and in my opinion the Survivor stays in place better then the Defender. I don't know if you use the belt clips, but the size of the Survivor makes it more awkward to put in your pocket.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I have both and switch them out occasionally. The OB is a great case for style and protection. However it has it's drawbacks...Frequently I'm adjusting the silicone.

The Griffin is a beast. I love this thing because I (just for kicks) roll it down the sidewalk just to scare people that see my phone is in there, lol. It is VERY bulky, and has two drawbacks, the camera cover is difficult to get out, and the plastic goes RIGHT to the edge of the screen making it difficult to move icons from screen to screen.

Both have good screen shields built in. The silicone on the Griffin is very tough, and holds tightly everywhere. Both have the light sensors visible. (Griffin is protected, OB is not...on the new case)

I like them both, but I prefer the Griffin

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I have both and switch them out occasionally. The OB is a great case for style and protection. However it has it's drawbacks...Frequently I'm adjusting the silicone.

The Griffin is a beast. I love this thing because I (just for kicks) roll it down the sidewalk just to scare people that see my phone is in there, lol. It is VERY bulky, and has two drawbacks, the camera cover is difficult to get out, and the plastic goes RIGHT to the edge of the screen making it difficult to move icons from screen to screen.

Both have good screen shields built in. The silicone on the Griffin is very tough, and holds tightly everywhere. Both have the light sensors visible. (Griffin is protected, OB is not...on the new case)

I like them both, but I prefer the Griffin

Do you have the newer Defender version? The silicon is much better than the older version.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Do you have the newer Defender version? The silicon is much better than the older version.

Yes I do have the new version. I hate how stiff the rubber is.

Another plus for the survivor, I'm much more safe in the rain than with the Defender

GrannySmith123

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2011

Wow so many replies. Yes I do have the newer version and I can tell slicone is much stiffer. I emailed otterbox and told them this was a very minor problem but asked them if there was a way to fix it somehow (i thought i didn't put it on right in the first place). He told me to take pictures of it and they would send me a new case. I kind of doubt they will but if they send me a new case and its fine I'll be happy with otterbox.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Wow so many replies. Yes I do have the newer version and I can tell slicone is much stiffer. I emailed otterbox and told them this was a very minor problem but asked them if there was a way to fix it somehow (i thought i didn't put it on right in the first place). He told me to take pictures of it and they would send me a new case. I kind of doubt they will but if they send me a new case and its fine I'll be happy with otterbox.

Otterbox WILL send you a new case. It may take up to 6 weeks, but it will eventually show. I've done that before on cases from them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.