Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the preliminary injunction banning sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia now lifted, Samsung is turning the dispute with Apple to its advantage, noting that the lawsuits have made Samsung a "household name" according to The Sydney Morning Herald.
"At the end of the day the media awareness certainly made the Galaxy Tab 10.1 a household name compared to probably what it would've been based on the investment that we would've put into it from a marketing perspective," [Samsung Australia vice president of telecommunications Tyler McGee] said.

Asked how many units of the Galaxy Tab Samsung was bringing in, McGee said "as many units as we can" but warned "there will probably be short supply against the demand".
Apple was granted an injunction blocking the sale of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia back in mid-October, with Samsung reporting that it may scrap the device's launch entirely there if the injunction was not lifted in time for the holiday shopping season. The injunction was indeed lifted in late November, but Apple won a one-week extension that carried the ban through to December 9th as it unsuccessfully tried to appeal the lifting of the injunction. The case will proceed to full trial next year.

samsung_galaxy_tab_ad_australia-500x373.jpg

Meanwhile, Engadget points to a Tweet from @maungle showing a new Galaxy Tab 10.1 newspaper ad from Samsung carrying the tagline "The Tablet Apple Tried to Stop," illustrating how Samsung is seeking to tie its advertising to the lawsuit and portray the tablet device as so significant a threat that Apple felt the need to prevent it from going on sale.

Article Link: Samsung Turning Dispute with Apple to its Advantage in Australian Marketing

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Depends on the minor details that get the Samsung name into households. Hearing about a company being sued by another company for copying, then counter suing, products being banned, then unbanned..

Is that really good publicity, even if it does get Samsung into the household name?

If my friend goes to a new burger place and gets diarrhea, and tells me the source of what caused it, that's getting the burger place name into my household, but not for the right reasons..

jeffk813

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
The Galaxy tab seems pretty weak if they need to resort to this kind of ad campaign.

Joos24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2011
I'm glad for Samsung that they are trying to move on but this is poor advertising. Come on Samsung, you don't need to put Apple into your advertising by saying this is "the Tablet Apple tried to stop", it doesn't make good for advertising. Discounting another company's name is only disparagement. At least in Apple's Get a Mac ads they didn't use Microsoft's name.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Tried to stop because it allegedly infringes on a bunch of copyrights?

Did stop, and forced a change in design.

Plus, how many people care about patent lawsuits? I think Samsung is overplaying this card, and a bunch of people are just going to start seeing them as whiny wannabe underdogs.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I guess the saying "no publicity is bad publicity" applies here. It wouldn't be a "household name" without the suit.

The Law of Unintended Consequences strikes again.;)

Last edited:

JS77

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Cue the anti-Samsung comments by over-zealous Apple fanboys...

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
so... let me get this straight...

Apple's endless lawsuits don't create negative public perceptions (according to many members here)

But Samsung's ad will be perceived as getting press for all the wrong reasons.

HAH!

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Isn't Samsung just disgraceful?

I mean – these lawsuits have been there for 100's of years and companies sue each other esp. in case of Apple Vs Samsung where Samsung products have really tried to mimic Apple's look and feel.

Samsung is now just being disgraceful by calling out on Apple fans and consumers; and now directly pointing figures at Apple.

In all, I can really see a pattern here. Samsung really needs Apple in their advertising to sell their products. It's a shame.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
If you have to directly reference the competition in your ads, you've already failed. I see it all the time in ads for such companies as Burger King, T-Mobile, and whomever is attacking Subway this week. The companies that are on top don't do this, only the also-rans. If you're product can't stand on its own merits, then I guess you resort to these tactics.

rockrigo

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Isn't Samsung just disgraceful?

I mean – these lawsuits have been there for 100's of years and companies sue each other esp. in case of Apple Vs Samsung where Samsung products have really tried to mimic Apple's look and feel.

Samsung is now just being disgraceful by calling out on Apple fans and consumers; and now directly pointing figures at Apple.

In all, I can really see a pattern here. Samsung really needs Apple in their advertising to sell their products. It's a shame.

like Apple needed to include the "PC" in their ads?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
If you have to directly reference the competition in your ads, you've already failed. I see it all the time in ads for such companies as Burger King, T-Mobile, and whomever is attacking Subway this week. The companies that are on top don't do this, only the also-rans. If you're product can't stand on its own merits, then I guess you resort to these tactics.

I agree with the referencing. It just makes their marketing effort seem desperate at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.