Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As long ago as mid-July, the first claimed iPad 3 parts leaked with photos of a dock connector and ribbon cable. Since that time, at least one other claimed iPad 3 part in the form of a power button flex cable has also appeared.

ipad_3_microphone_cable.jpg

Claimed iPad 3 microphone flex cable

Cydia Blog notes that a third iPad 3 part appears to have joined the leaks with the appearance of a microphone flex cable. All three parts are currently available through Chinese parts retailer TVC-Mall.com.
The new part, when compared with iPad 2, shows a different arrangement in internal circuitry, hinting a major re-design. The tail end of the part makes a "U-turn", whereas the iPad 2´s Microphone Mic Flex Cable makes almost 90-degree turn both ways. Except for few details, the leaked part so far doesn't offer a tantalizing tease.
But even major changes to the internal components of Apple's devices doesn't necessarily indicate significant changes to their overall appearance. For example, the internal design of many of the iPhone components changed with the introduction of the CDMA iPhone 4, which was actually a significant internal reworking of the GSM version. Most of those changes made for the CDMA iPhone 4 also made their way into the world-mode iPhone 4S without substantial differences among the three models visible from the exterior.

Apple's manufacturing partners are said to already be receiving display panels for the iPad 3, with an aim to begin assembly in January ahead of a launch in the following couple of months. The iPad 3 is said to offer a new "Retina" display offering twice the resolution of the current iPad in both the horizontal and vertical resolution, allowing for much sharper image quality.

Article Link: Claimed iPad 3 Parts Continue to Leak as Rumored Release Draws Closer

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So the iPad 3 (or whatever name) will continue to have a microphone. I knew it!

Take that, all you “no more mic in pad” naysayers!

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
And judging by your inability to read sarcasm, you Sir must be American!

... Americans rock sarcasm like no other... he's just an idiot.

----------

I'm actually interested in getting an iPad 3, because it's a major bitch to try to write on the iPhone, and ALL the good writing apps are iPad only. :/

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
i think the production of the A6 will have a bigger impact on release date than anything else, exciting to see how it all develops as we get closer :)

jwhite878

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
OH GOD NOT THE RIBBON CABLES AGAIN. It's only been a few months since we were dealing with that for the 4S! It's too soon!

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
If history is any indicator the third and forth years of the iPod and iPhone were explosive for those product lines. Thats when they seemed to really reach critical mass, the iPad 3 is posed to be just as huge as the public now seems to be fully primed and ready to adopt tablets in mass.

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
These pictures and the arguments that goes with them remind me of the scenes in the movie "The Life of Brian" (1979) when a band of rabid followers chasing Brian thinking he is the messiah start arguing over the divine symbolism of a sandal in the dirt. :D

alhedges

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
The only explanation for the "U" bend is to permit a coffee filter to be put in the gap. There is no other explanation.

It's pretty obvious when you think about it.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
It's a good thing I just sold my iPad 2, I remember how badly the resale value of the original iPad took a hit when the iPad 2 came out. Not sure if I'll get the next iPad though, having an iPad was nice, although I don't feel as though I am missing a lot with it gone. It'll have to really wow me to purchase it.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
You know how much of a disappointment this is going to be if it does not have the rumoured new screen.

The 2048x1536 screen res has been hyped up so much now, I do hope it's a reality.

zecks420

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2011
If history is any indicator the third and forth years of the iPod and iPhone were explosive for those product lines. Thats when they seemed to really reach critical mass, the iPad 3 is posed to be just as huge as the public now seems to be fully primed and ready to adopt tablets in mass.

About to be explosive? Ipad is outselling Android tablets 10 to 1.... The bomb already Dropped dude.... Lol. Most of these companies cant get rid of there stock... The only other Huge seller this holiday will be the Kindle Fire just because of price.... And it wont even come close to Ipad Numbers.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
About to be explosive? Ipad is outselling Android tablets 10 to 1.... The bomb already Dropped dude.... Lol. Most of these companies cant get rid of there stock... The only other Huge seller this holiday will be the Kindle Fire just because of price.... And it wont even come close to Ipad Numbers.

Android and Kindle tabs are almost irrelevant, Apples iPad sales numbers will skyrocket this year just wait. Dude, the bomb has not even been dropped yet.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
How can iPad 3 not have Thunderbolt? With all new Macs having it, that would be a very disappointing omission. Is it possible to adapt the 30-pin port to Thunderbolt? I'm guessing not, at least without losing functionality.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
The new iPad3 better not have a higher quality video camera.

So many people here are going to be so angry if it does. I remember when the iPad2 was launched so many were saying how it was right for it to have the 1mp unit and it should not have any higher quality sensor fitted.

Finger crossed they have not improved it, as all these people will be so upset with Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.