Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:05 AM   #1
bdzer
macrumors member

Problems with iMessage...

I'm having a problem, maybe I just don't know how to use my phone well..

I try to create a new iMessage to someone or make it as a group, I enter my Text Message app and click the new message button at the top right, my iMessage contacts don't appear on there when I search for them and it is making a new text message. Does anyone know how to change this or make a new iMessage to a person/group?
bdzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:09 AM   #2
Jare
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdzer View Post
I'm having a problem, maybe I just don't know how to use my phone well..

I try to create a new iMessage to someone or make it as a group, I enter my Text Message app and click the new message button at the top right, my iMessage contacts don't appear on there when I search for them and it is making a new text message. Does anyone know how to change this or make a new iMessage to a person/group?
/facepalm.

Your contacts use their apple ID and or phone numbers as their iMessage address. There aren't "iMessage contacts", your phone automatically determines this while attempting to send a text.

This is all explained in the user manuals.
Jare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:21 AM   #3
bdzer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
/facepalm.

Your contacts use their apple ID and or phone numbers as their iMessage address. There aren't "iMessage contacts", your phone automatically determines this while attempting to send a text.

This is all explained in the user manuals.
I already have iMessage chats open with some of my friends but when I try to open a new one it's a Text Message. Am I misinterpreting something? Did I put their e-mail in a bad category or something?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:23 AM   #4
Jare
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I already have iMessage chats open with some of my friends but when I try to open a new one it's a Text Message. Am I misinterpreting something? Did I put their e-mail in a bad category or something?
That would mean (I'm just assuming here) that they are unavailable for iMessage.
Jare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:23 AM   #5
digitard
macrumors 6502a

I just load all my iMessage contacts as the iPhone listing, and it seems to always go to iMessage that way unless I turn it off.
16GB iPod Touch 5th Gen
digitard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:26 AM   #6
bdzer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jare View Post
That would mean (I'm just assuming here) that they are unavailable for iMessage.
They are available

I wanted to make a group iMessage, which I did, but I had to delete the whole conversation with one of my friends then go into my contacts and click their contact to finally press Send Message and it opened up a 'New iMessage' instead of 'New Message' (Text). The only way I can iMessage someone is to go into contacts and I can't make a new iMessage directly from the Text app.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:15 PM   #7
bdzer
macrumors member

I haven't found the solution, my iMessage works fine, I just can't make a new iMessage as it is always a text message.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 03:55 PM   #8
sweetbrat
macrumors 65816

Are you sure that all people that you're trying to send to have iOS5 and have iMessage turned on?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:23 PM   #9
AlphaVictor87
macrumors 6502a

i do know that certain people you iMessage with and your phone still has that info in memory, it will have a nice symbol to show you if they have iMessage enabled when starting a new text.

AlphaVictor87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2011, 04:30 PM   #10
bdzer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbrat View Post
Are you sure that all people that you're trying to send to have iOS5 and have iMessage turned on?
Yeah, they do.

If it helps, I iMessage them using their Apple ID E-Mails and not their phone numbers because they are in Australia and Canada.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaVictor87 View Post
i do know that certain people you iMessage with and your phone still has that info in memory, it will have a nice symbol to show you if they have iMessage enabled when starting a new text.

Your screenshot shows the @ sign, and the ability to type in .'s but when I go to make a new message mine does not. My iMessage works though as I have a few conversations open with other people.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:26 PM   #11
bdzer
macrumors member

Does anyone have the same problem as me? I can't type .'s or @'s when trying to create a new message.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:32 PM   #12
verwon
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Yeah, they do.

If it helps, I iMessage them using their Apple ID E-Mails and not their phone numbers because they are in Australia and Canada.

----------

Your screenshot shows the @ sign, and the ability to type in .'s but when I go to make a new message mine does not. My iMessage works though as I have a few conversations open with other people.
On iMessage, where they are located doesn't matter. It's still only data use, if it sends via iMessage.
verwon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:10 AM   #13
bdzer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verwon View Post
On iMessage, where they are located doesn't matter. It's still only data use, if it sends via iMessage.
I know it does not matter.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:05 PM   #14
AlphaVictor87
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Mine shows the @ and . when i'm typing in the "To:" part of the message. Once i switch to the body of the message and what is actually going to be sent, then it switches to just a space bar and those two buttons go back to where it normally was after you press the "123+" button

EDIT: also in my original message i was talking about the little blue bubble next to the first contact
Old Dec 15, 2011, 07:33 AM   #15
bdzer
macrumors member

Quote:
Mine shows the @ and . when i'm typing in the "To:" part of the message. Once i switch to the body of the message and what is actually going to be sent, then it switches to just a space bar and those two buttons go back to where it normally was after you press the "123+" button

EDIT: also in my original message i was talking about the little blue bubble next to the first contact
I have the blue bubbles only when I go into Phone -> Contacts -> Send Message, that's the only time I can make a new iMessage, I cannot make one directly in the Texting app.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 09:22 AM   #16
AlphaVictor87
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I have the blue bubbles only when I go into Phone -> Contacts -> Send Message, that's the only time I can make a new iMessage, I cannot make one directly in the Texting app.
well that's just weird. I'd try backing up your phone and doing a restore just to see if it helps
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:12 PM   #17
bdzer
macrumors member

Quote:
well that's just weird. I'd try backing up your phone and doing a restore just to see if it helps
I might try when I have the time to restore.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone