Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Helmsy67

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
Hey guys I woke up this morning and I dont have any keyboard clicks or lock sounds. When I go to settings my ringtone will ring for a phone call but it won't ring for a text message. Also my iPod won't play through the speaker but I know my speaker is working because it works in the settings and speakerphone works on a phone call. I tried to restore it but it didn't do anything. Anybody have any ideas

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I'm assuming you already checked in the sound settings for the keyboard and lock sounds? I would try to reset all settings. That would be the best thing to do.

Helmsy67

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
I'm assuming you already checked in the sound settings for the keyboard and lock sounds? I would try to reset all settings. That would be the best thing to do.

Lol yes that's the first thing I did. I'll try that and if that doesn't work then I'll restore as new since I did it from backup earlier.

THE dAY

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
SFV California
Did you have earphones plugged in recently before this issue.
Sometimes the phone will think the earphones are still plugged in.

Try plugging/unplugging earphones a few times and see if that brings back the sounds through the speaker.

Helmsy67

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
Did you have earphones plugged in recently before this issue.
Sometimes the phone will think the earphones are still plugged in.

Try plugging/unplugging earphones a few times and see if that brings back the sounds through the speaker.

I just restored and set up as new. Pain in the butt but it's working now. Thanks guys.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Are you sure the volume wasnt just turned down? This keeps somehow happening to me where I notice I have no keyboard clicks or lock sounds. I'll then try the volume buttons and it's always about halfway but just shows "ringer" when I'm trying to adjust it but still no keyboard or lock sounds.

I finally realized that the volumes are "independent" so to speak and to adjust the volume for the keyboard clicks and lock sounds you have to be in an "app" that uses click sounds like the text message native app. Open your text messages then adjust the sound and you'll notice it no longer displays "ringer" above the volume icon - you're now adjusting your volume for the keyboard clicks and lock sounds. I keep finding that mine is all the way down hence my lack of keyboard clicks or lock sound. I don't remember this ever happening on my other iPhones but it happens to me a lot nowadays.

I'm sure there's a way to do this in settings as well but I haven't looked.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I finally realized that the volumes are "independent" so to speak and to adjust the volume for the keyboard clicks and lock sounds you have to be in an "app" that uses click sounds like the text message native app. Open your text messages then adjust the sound and you'll notice it no longer displays "ringer" above the volume icon - you're now adjusting your volume for the keyboard clicks and lock sounds.

On my 4S if I am in iMessage and type with keyboard clicks open in SETTINGS, the volume buttons on the side of the phone display "ringer" when I use them.

jayjayjay12

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2013
lock sound and keyboard clicks reinstated

Hey guys I woke up this morning and I dont have any keyboard clicks or lock sounds. When I go to settings my ringtone will ring for a phone call but it won't ring for a text message. Also my iPod won't play through the speaker but I know my speaker is working because it works in the settings and speakerphone works on a phone call. I tried to restore it but it didn't do anything. Anybody have any ideas
If you lose sounds for keyboard clicks, games or other apps, email notifications and other notifications, system sounds may have been muted.

System sounds can be muted and controlled two different ways. The screen lock rotation can be controlled in the same manner as well.

Settings>General>Use Side Switch to: Mute System sounds. If this option is selected, the switch on the side of the iPad above the volume rocker will mute system sounds.

If you choose Lock Screen Rotation, then the switch locks the screen. If the screen is locked, you will see a lock icon in the upper right corner next to the battery indicator gauge.

If you have the side switch set to lock screen rotation then the system sound control is in the task bar. Double tap the home button and in the task bar at the bottom, swipe all the way to the right. The speaker icon is all the way to the left. Tap on it and system sounds will return.

If you have the side switch set to mute system sounds, then the screen lock rotation can be accessed via the task bar in the same manner as described above.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
If you lose sounds for keyboard clicks, games or other apps, email notifications and other notifications, system sounds may have been muted.

System sounds can be muted and controlled two different ways. The screen lock rotation can be controlled in the same manner as well.

Settings>General>Use Side Switch to: Mute System sounds. If this option is selected, the switch on the side of the iPad above the volume rocker will mute system sounds.

If you choose Lock Screen Rotation, then the switch locks the screen. If the screen is locked, you will see a lock icon in the upper right corner next to the battery indicator gauge.

If you have the side switch set to lock screen rotation then the system sound control is in the task bar. Double tap the home button and in the task bar at the bottom, swipe all the way to the right. The speaker icon is all the way to the left. Tap on it and system sounds will return.

If you have the side switch set to mute system sounds, then the screen lock rotation can be accessed via the task bar in the same manner as described above.

Do people even read through to see if the "new" solutions they're presenting in a 2 year old thread are actually new or offer information that hasn't been presented? Just wondering.

leart978

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2021
hello from 2021, this is happening to me now, iPhone 4 on ios 6.0.1, went crazy since my main ringtone was working but not keyboard clicks and lock sound and even connected sound..
restore didnt helped..just did a good clean to whole device, inside out with pure alcohol and cleaned all the ports, earplug dock to.. the device come back to perfect full sound working like 10 minutes latter..
maybe ios recognized the problem and fixed itself.. bo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.