Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Barca definitely got a better draw than Real. Nobody wants to go to Moscow in winter.

Cheslea and Arsenal are the underdogs now, they must win their home legs or they will surely be out. I can't see either going through, frankly.

Can you imagine this as Wenger's line up next season? ;)

That would be just too cool. Those men had style. :D

You have to wonder if MON is going to keep Cattermole as captain. It sounds like a pretty stupid idea to me. He just can't keep himself out of trouble.

When I first heard the charge was "criminal damage" I thought it must be a Cattermole tackle.

Fuzzy14 said:
Indeed it is the X of St Andrews.

The point of posting the Scotland away strip is that Adidas used the same template as the Columbus Crew. The only difference is Scotland have navy blue shorts with yellow stripes, Columbus are all yellow.

It's definitely a very close match to the Crew shirt. Should look good with blue shorts I would think.
I should have been more specific about the "X". I eventually figured out the connection with the cross of St. Andrews. ;)

Speaking of which, there is a "Irish pub" in Anchorage that follows the typical pattern of fake Irish pubs in the US, with the hilarious exception that it has several Scottish flags hanging from the ceiling, but none from Ireland....I guess it's close enough, right? :eek: :rolleyes:

EDIT: The Evra-Suarez racism case verdict has been delayed till Tuesday...can they just please get on with it? This isn't the Kennedy assasination. It's also somewhat silly that a racism claim between an French/African player and a Uraguayan player, one that ostensibly hinges on fine sociocultural interpretations, is being decided by three blindingly white men who cannot possibly really understand the nuances of the case...can't we just get Blatter over and have them shake hands? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Barca definitely got a better draw than Real. Nobody wants to go to Moscow in winter.

Is it any worse than a cold Thursday in Stoke? Also I thought the Russian teams shut down for the winter, do CSKA not play their games elsewhere at this time of year?

Speaking of which, there is a "Irish pub" in Anchorage that follows the typical pattern of fake Irish pubs in the US, with the hilarious exception that it has several Scottish flags hanging from the ceiling, but none from Ireland....I guess it's close enough, right? :eek: :rolleyes:

Yes and no. There's a lot of shared history between the Celtic (pronounced kell-tick) people... a similar langauge Irish Gaelic (pronounced gale-lick) and Scots Gaelic (pronounced gaa-lick). If you look at this picture the Celtic fans use green and white saltires. :rolleyes: It depends which side you identify with, but in most cases it will go down as well as walking into Canada and calling them Americans!

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Is it any worse than a cold Thursday in Stoke? Also I thought the Russian teams shut down for the winter, do CSKA not play their games elsewhere at this time of year?

With all due respect to the denizens British Isles (even those in Stoke!), you have no idea what winter weather is like. :D The Russians, on the other hand, do. (incidentally, the winter here in Alaksa is really turning out to be a damp squib so far, due to warm chinook winds. Plenty of snow, but lots of freeze-thaw. Bah.)

The Rooskies have plastic pitches, so they can play any time of year. Not sure about playing at a different venue do to cold weather....maybe they will play on the Black Sea or something?

Yes and no. There's a lot of shared history between the Celtic (pronounced kell-tick) people... a similar langauge Irish Gaelic (pronounced gale-lick) and Scots Gaelic (pronounced gaa-lick). If you look at this picture the Celtic fans use green and white saltires. :rolleyes: It depends which side you identify with, but in most cases it will go down as well as walking into Canada and calling them Americans!

Who told you Canadians weren't Americans? They are, they just haven't admitted it yet*. :D

The most common shared characteristic between Irish and Scottish people, is of course, a dislike of the English. ;)

*Only joking, of course, I really love Canada.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Bayern , as usual, get the easiest draw possible. Their playing style is simply way more suited to play against Basel than Manchester United. Though i suspect that both games will be close.

Bayer on the other side got the worst possible draw with Barcelona. Not only that but, they also are currently in a bad shape. The positive thing is that they have absolutely nothing to lose and they have a handful of players who can decide games on their own if you give them 2-3 chances. They either will go down quick or it will be incredible intense.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

As far as "Kelltic" is concerned maybe you can clear this up for me, they are an Irish team in Scotland? The team was founded by Irish priests? Is this correct? And some of the love/hate(a very true hate it seems, by the by) is based on the Protestant vs Catholic issues in Scotland. For some of this ifno I'm going by a wiki article(CELTIC F C) so consider the source of my ignorance...

I know a lot of "Irishters" around here that claim them as their fave side but have no idea of the teams origins... they just shrug their shoulders at me when I ask. :D

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
175px-Sheffield_Wednesday.svg.png

Sheff Wed 4 - 4 Huddersfield
Robert Jones (26') Jordan Rhodes (12')
Reda Johnson (28') Jordan Rhodes (16')
Ben Marshall (63') Jordan Rhodes (77')
Chris O'Grady (74') Jordan Rhodes (90')

GOALS
11 Madine
4 Marshall
4 Jones
4 Reda
3 Lowe
2 Bennett
2 Lines
2 Prutton
2 O'Grady
1 Sedgwick
1 Morrison
1 Palmer
1 McGoldrick
1 O'Connor
1 Buxton
1 Semedo

ASSISTS
6 Marshall
4 Semedo
3 Lines
2 Bennett
2 Morrison
2 Buxton
1 Prutton
1 Madine
1 Palmer
1 Jones
1 O'Connor
1 O'Grady
1 Bywater

2nd: 13-4-4

12/26/2O11
@

UP THE OWLS!

Imma go out on a limb and say that if someone, anyone, marks Rhodes at all we win this one... :rolleyes:

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
As far as "Kelltic" is concerned maybe you can clear this up for me, they are an Irish team in Scotland? The team was founded by Irish priests? Is this correct? And some of the love/hate(a very true hate it seems, by the by) is based on the Protestant vs Catholic issues in Scotland. For some of this ifno I'm going by a wiki article(CELTIC F C) so consider the source of my ignorance...

I know a lot of "Irishters" around here that claim them as their fave side but have no idea of the teams origins... they just shrug their shoulders at me when I ask. :D

The wiki article is actually rather good. To understand it a bit further, the population of Glasgow exploded in Victorian times, loads of jobs available in the shipyards, coal mines and iron works. So Glasgow had a lot of immigrants, Highlanders (traditionally Protestant/Presbyterian) who were driven out of the glens by the highland clearances, and Irish (traditionally Catholic) forced to leave their homeland by the potato famine. I wasn't aware Celtic was founded by priests but I did know it was an athletic club formed for the benefit of the local Catholic population. And due to the city divisions, the Protestant population soon adopted the already formed Rangers as their own. And the divisions started then remain today, it's not like Liverpool and Everton where you might have members of the same family supporting different teams.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Some 28,000 folk went to watch the South Yorkshire derby between the Wendies and undefeated Huddersfield (who haven't lost a game other than the ones they've been beaten in for ages). Meanwhile, just over 18,000 tipped up to Wigan vs Chelsea for the tea time Premier League fixture.*

That's 10,000 extra folk for a League One match. Proof – as if any were needed – that the Football League is ace and the Premier League is rubbish. ;)

* For swiftaw's benefit it should be mentioned that those 18,000 only came to see the Latics.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Some 28,000 folk went to watch the South Yorkshire derby between the Wendies and undefeated Huddersfield (who haven't lost a game other than the ones they've been beaten in for ages). Meanwhile, just over 18,000 tipped up to Wigan vs Chelsea for the tea time Premier League fixture.*

That's 10,000 extra folk for a League One match. Proof – as if any were needed – that the Football League is ace and the Premier League is rubbish. ;)

* For swiftaw's benefit it should be mentioned that those 18,000 only came to see the Latics.

I think it was the 4th largest crowd today...

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Athletic_club_200px.png

Athletic Bilbao 2 - 1 Real Zaragoza
Susaeta (7')Leonardo Ponzio (pen 22')
Gaizka Toquero (87')

GOALS
5 Llorente
2 Gabilondo
2 Muniaín
2 Oscar
2 Toquero
2 Susaeta
1 Iturraspe
1 David Lopez
1 Martínez
1 Herrera
1 Iraola
1 Amorebieta
1 Aurtenetxe

ASSISTS
3 Toquero
2 Iraola
2 Susaeta
2 Muniaín
2 Herrera
2 Oscar
1 Amorebieta
1 Llorente

8th: 5-7-4
O1/O8/12 @

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Hehe...City fielding the 'old guard' against us. The cheek i tell you...

EDIT: Oh well, bring on Villa.

We really are starting to feel the absence of our fullbacks. I also think its time to ship out Arshavin and Chamakh which is a shame really.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Man City got a title winners' result today - relatively flat performance, but ground out the win against an Arsenal team that didn't play that badly.

Good win for the 'Pool. Suarez still hitting the woodwork though...good to see erstwhile USA No 2 Brad Guzan make some quality saves.

EDIT: Roy Keane is always great for a quote.

Last edited:

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I'm not sure exactly how many Millwall brought to the KC on Saturday, but it looked to have barely scraped 100. It was outright embarrassing – we had a choir on the pitch at half time singing carols and they looked to outnumber the away fans. :D

I must admit I've been really busy at work for the past few months so haven't really been paying too much attention, but I just noticed that Hull are in 4th in the Championship. Promotion chances?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Hull City in a promotion bid, Phil Brown looking for work...is that a battered flat cap I see wafting through the air?

I'm not sure exactly how many Millwall brought to the KC on Saturday, but it looked to have barely scraped 100. It was outright embarrassing – we had a choir on the pitch at half time singing carols and they looked to outnumber the away fans. :D

Nice juxtaposition of a choir and Millwall fans, two things that could not be more opposite.

Last edited:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I must admit I've been really busy at work for the past few months so haven't really been paying too much attention, but I just noticed that Hull are in 4th in the Championship. Promotion chances?
No one else seems to have noticed too – the media types have started running through likely contenders and (as per usual) we're overlooked. But flying under the radar is where we like to be. ;)

We're currently better placed than we were at this point in the successful 2007/8 season, so who knows? Pleasingly, at the moment we seem able to win pretty, win ugly, win from a losing position, and just generally... well... win. But we'll see – it's still early days yet.

Hull City in a promotion bid, Phil Brown looking for work...is that a battered flat cap I see wafting through the air?
Heh – Barmby has taken to the manager's job well, and looks set to take the role permanently. The club want him to take it, the fans want him to take it, and I think it's fair to say that he wants to take it. It just needs making official.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Heh – Barmby has taken to the manager's job well, and looks set to take the role permanently. The club want him to take it, the fans want him to take it, and I think it's fair to say that he wants to take it. It just needs making official.

It's a great story, and it's great to see a local favorite succeed as a manager.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
It's a great story, and it's great to see a local favorite succeed as a manager.
Aye, we love our Nick. the club shop did a roaring Christmas trade in 'Barmby Army' and 'He's one of our own' tat t-shirts. :D

EDIT: I tried digging out a picture, but no joy – but these have just landed in the club shop...

Screen Shot 2011-12-19 at 10.49.30 pm.png

In spite of myself generally shying away from Tiger tat I can't help but admire that. :D

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I like that shirt. :)

The news is a couple days old, but it has been confirmed that Landon Donovan will be returning to Everton on loan.

A permanent deal is not contemplated, but Everton seem happy enough with a loan. Donovan is probably still the most talented player the USA has at the moment, though Clint Dempsey has really blossomed in the Premier League in the last couple seasons, and Tim Howard needs no introduction either. Not to mention that 40 year-old goalkeeper (and fellow Cleveland native) Brad Friedel looks excellent at Spurs.

scar88

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
London
Sopcast for mac - working

Hi Guys i found this on a Russian website, and tested it yesterday. Ive uploaded the dmg to megaupload: tinyurl.com/c5y8v78

follow the instruction from this video, although its in Russian its pretty straight forward: tinyurl.com/c3ovybm

Ive only tested this on Lion and it works great. - ive also posted this in the applications section

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.