Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odin2free

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Throughout time and space
Looking to optmize Lion on a macbook pro maximum spec 15 inch...(ya 16gb with two ssds at 120 each)

Its fast already i know this
but looking to slim down the silly applications that i dont need on it, slim down all the odd functions and system tools i will never use...

Cool thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Its fast already i know this
but looking to slim down the silly applications that i dont need on it, slim down all the odd functions and system tools i will never use...
Mac OS X doesn't come with a lot of "fluff", so I would be careful about uninstalling apps that came with it, since you may determine later that you need them. Besides, having apps installed don't affect your performance, as they only take up space on your drive. It's what you have running that impacts performance.

Performance tips for Mac OS X

odin2free

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
Throughout time and space
ya i like to have minimal amount of stuff on my finder windows and on my ssds ....(i have the space i know)
Just want to get this thing down to the bare minimum of just being a photo and video machine...Not storing anything on the computer other than having the applications to run
LR3
PSCS5.5
After Effects
Adobe Premiere
Thats all im going to run next to my itunes and my internet literally that is all
(want to see if i can do it just strip it so far down)
This is just something for me to do lol and have fun doing it :D

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Open Activity Monitor and have at it. I'd check your login items as well, and look for stuff that accesses the internet needlessly. The system housekeeping stuff can be set to run when you're not working, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you don't completely turn this stuff off or you'll actually make things worse.

When all's said and done, however, you're probably not gonna see much speed up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.