Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Guys, check the serial number of the replacement iPod nano you're getting! I did that on my replacement and it says this!

iPod nano (6th generation)

Repairs and Service Coverage: Active
Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
Estimated Expiration Date: December 16, 2012

Awesome!!! :D

No idea on the size of the nano (guessing 8GB), but pretty cool either way, and with a year's warranty? Double win!

Last edited:

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I better get a first generation Nano. I sent a first generation Nano in, and that's what I want back.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Shame I sold my 1st gen a few years ago really... :(

Then again, the 6th gen Nano is quite crap anyway. The 5th gen was the best ever Nano IMO.

Cursed

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2010
Staffordshire UK
Hopefully they're doing this in the UK too. I'm also hoping it'll speed the replacement process up a bit. I sent my iPod off on the 12th December and it still isn't received (unsurprisingly) so I'm expecting quite a long wait at the moment.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
If you think about it, this makes sense anyway, and I assume they'll be doing it everywhere. What's cheaper for Apple, starting a limited production of old iPods or sending people the currently mass-produced new iPods?

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Some people already got back 1st generation Nano's. They've had my iPod for over a month, I figured they were getting machines tooled up. Why couldn't they see that I have a recalled iPod and ship on the crappy 6 gen Nano the next day.

pumazooma

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
UK
Until someone actually gets a 6G, I still think we'll get 1st gens back. Also, why would a 6G only come with a 90 day warranty instead of a 12 month one?

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
probably because they're refurbs 6th gen nanos and also apart of this 1st gen replacement program??

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Until someone actually gets a 6G, I still think we'll get 1st gens back. Also, why would a 6G only come with a 90 day warranty instead of a 12 month one?

Mine says it has warranty till December 16, 2012. I've no doubt I'll get a 6th gen at this point.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
probably because they're refurbs 6th gen nanos and also apart of this 1st gen replacement program??

1 year limited warranty applies to refurbs too and the 1 year limited warranty was still in effect with the 1st gen.

Anyone whining over getting a 2010 iPod over a 2005 iPod is just being childish. The first gen you probably have now likely doesn't even get used anymore and it definitely doesn't hold nearly the charge its supposed to (unless replaced).

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
1 year limited warranty applies to refurbs too and the 1 year limited warranty was still in effect with the 1st gen.

Anyone whining over getting a 2010 iPod over a 2005 iPod is just being childish. The first gen you probably have now likely doesn't even get used anymore and it definitely doesn't hold nearly the charge its supposed to (unless replaced).

some deem them as collectables and their first iPod (as mine was). I had mine in my car and held a charge for a good hour or so without being hooked up to my car. mine wouldn't sync about a week before receiving an email from apple about the recall which is why I sent it in.

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006

iEvolution said:

I'm not being childish at all. I love the design of the first generation Nano. If I would have know this would happen I would NOT have sent mine in.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
not complaining but i wish we would of had the option. idk if this is a good gesture on apple's part but I liked the model i bought which is why i still have it after 6yrs. id prefer the click wheel over the touch screen. who knows, if I do get the 6th gen, maybe it will grow on me? just saying.

Macr0Cosm

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2011
Has anyone received their iPod back and can confirm that it is actually replaced by a 6th gen iPod?

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006

Macr0Cosm said:
Has anyone received their iPod back and can confirm that it is actually replaced by a 6th gen iPod?

The people that got the emails should be getting them tomorrow or Tuesday. That's my guess anyways. That's when we'll know. I'm still hoping that it'll be a first generation, I've got to believe that because why would they have me waiting one month AFTER I sent my iPod in unless they were making a set of first generations.

VeNoMiZeD

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
San Francisco

I sent mine in 3 days after the announcement of the recall, so pretty early. Anyhow I received an email saying my replacement is being sent to me and in that email the replacement has a new serial number. So I called apple to verify the serial number and sure enough it's a 6th gen nano. I'm satasfied with that replacement, thanks Apple!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
not complaining but i wish we would of had the option. idk if this is a good gesture on apple's part but I liked the model i bought which is why i still have it after 6yrs. id prefer the click wheel over the touch screen. who knows, if I do get the 6th gen, maybe it will grow on me? just saying.

If you iPod was just broken, then Apple wouldn't have to do anything, since the iPod has been out of warranty for many years. Since there is a danger of overheating, Apple has to do something to get the iPod out of your hands. You can always refuse their offer, have a six your old iPod with horrible battery life, and a slight risk of overheating. Your choice.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
If you iPod was just broken, then Apple wouldn't have to do anything, since the iPod has been out of warranty for many years. Since there is a danger of overheating, Apple has to do something to get the iPod out of your hands. You can always refuse their offer, have a six your old iPod with horrible battery life, and a slight risk of overheating. Your choice.

Of course my choice which is why I sent it in. hoping a new battery would help me sync my iPod again. It was in my car 99% of the time so I didn't really care for battery life. Just saying I wish we had a choice of what we're receiving. No where on the email would it say you'll be getting a 6th gen nano. All it said was replace the battery which is the reason for the recall anyways.

radiohed

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
Portland, ME
I applied on Nov 12th and finally got my box last week. Apple received my Nano on the 15th and now it shows "replacement pending". If they replace it with a 6th gen, I would be thrilled! I will take whatever they give me! :D

Macr0Cosm

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2011
I sent mine in 3 days after the announcement of the recall, so pretty early. Anyhow I received an email saying my replacement is being sent to me and in that email the replacement has a new serial number. So I called apple to verify the serial number and sure enough it's a 6th gen nano. I'm satasfied with that replacement, thanks Apple!

Thanks for the update. Also, the status of my iPod shows "replacement pending", how long will it take to receive the email from apple confirming that they shipped backed the replacement iPod?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.