Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Riviera122

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2008
I love how all big iOS gaming releases are supporting the Universal App program. I was waiting for Apple to implement it for a while.

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
No one should purchase that Marathon port...

But with Marathon 2, he's selling basically my artwork (that belongs to Bungie). I assume Bungie knows and approved this, ...
So, long story short, this guy got paid by Bungie for doing artwork, and Bungie was generous enough to allow him to release it for free. He repays them by trying to sabotage their business by telling people to not buy their stuff. Great. This is why I do not release free software. Not that everybody's a self-entitled ****** like him, but enough are that it's not worth dealing with the hassle.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Oy vey, the hit boxes in Marathon 2 are annoyingly small. It would be fine if I were aiming with a mouse, but with the touchscreen controls it is really hard for me to actually hit any of the enemies.

ChristIsLORD

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
So, long story short, this guy got paid by Bungie for doing artwork, and Bungie was generous enough to allow him to release it for free. He repays them by trying to sabotage their business by telling people to not buy their stuff. Great. This is why I do not release free software. Not that everybody's a self-entitled ****** like him, but enough are that it's not worth dealing with the hassle.

Bungie didn't release Marathon 2 on the app store. Marathon is open source and the big project behind it was Aelph One. It was some other uninvolved guy who decided to port Aelph One to iOS and charge for the assets the other guy made without consulting him first. Bungie isn't really involved at all.

Dangerzone

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2011
I bought Sonic CD and I am very happy with it. I played this on my Sega CD years ago and its perfect.

In all it's original cheesy Sega CD glory is Night Trap!

I would like to see this:
sewershark_%2811%29.jpg

treellama

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Bungie isn't really involved at all.
I assume Bungie had to approve his selling of its assets, which are otherwise only distributable non commercially. It's even possible Bungie is getting some of the proceeds. It is definitely not a Bungie release though; that much could be made clearer on the app description page.

I share the original quoted developer's disappointment that content that's free for Mac/PC is only available as a tackily-advertised IAP in iOS, but I don't share the poster's sentiment that you shouldn't download the game. Until Apple's iOS terms are friendlier toward community-controlled, Free software projects, this will likely be the only way to experience Marathon on your iPhone or iPad. It's a decision people will have to make for themselves.

If it helps, I'll point out that we don't get any of the proceeds from the iOS IAPs. And, of course, I'll plug our website, from which you can get all three games complete with HD textures, crosshairs, and cheats (if you must); better polished and free of charge for your Mac or PC:
http://marathon.sourceforge.net

qtx43

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Bungie didn't release Marathon 2 on the app store. Marathon is open source and the big project behind it was Aelph One. It was some other uninvolved guy who decided to port Aelph One to iOS and charge for the assets the other guy made without consulting him first. Bungie isn't really involved at all.
The "other guy" may have made the artwork, but according to the previous post he made them for bungie, and they are not "his" and never were. Why should he be consulted? Maybe I have the facts wrong in this situation, and I don't care enough to research it. What I do know is this sort of outrage is all too typical of the free software community.

If you like the game, buy it. If they don't have the legal right to sell it, it'll get yanked. I can do without the drama and politics.

ChristIsLORD

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
Oh, I don't really care about the nature of free software in all of it. Point is, one guy made art assets and ending up releasing them for free. Some other guy made an app and to make money off of it, charges extra for something he had no involvement in creating, made by someone else. It'd be nice if the app author gave a portion of sales to that artist but it seems he's been avoiding his emails. Who knows, it may get taken down eventually.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
If Sonic CD made its way to OS X, my brother would be friggin' ecstatic!

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
This is why I do not release free software.

You were doing so well until that point.

What I do know is this sort of outrage is all too typical of the free software community.

There you go again. It has nothing to do with free software vs closed software, it's just a tiny little human drama, plain and simple. There's a disagreement, it gets a bit messy, it'll be resolved (one way or another).

We can't make any judgements without knowing the full story. If there has been a 'misunderstanding' along the way, then hopefully it'll be settled to everyone's satisfaction and everyone can be happy. This happens all of the time in the proprietary world, you just don't see it because everything is less open.

Apart from anything else (and if I understand his statement correctly), you have your argument ass-backwards, because these assets were proprietary when he created them. If it had been part of a free project initially, you'd be able to see the license (GPL, BSD, CC, whatever) and there would be no ambiguity. As it happens, because there are probably two private contracts/licenses involved (artist > bungie, bungie > iOS dev), it's all a bit murky and leads to people like you jumping to silly (and sweeping) conclusions about free software.

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
Sorry, my statement wasn't clear. I meant that they even made Sonic 4, but haven't ported Sonic & Knucles, which I have been waiting for.

Ahhh, OK. It all makes sense now; I was misinterpreting your comment.

Sega does seem to often forget about Sonic & Knuckles when porting their classic Sonic games.

Last edited:

AppleMacDudeG4

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
Very cool

Just bought the Sonic CD remake on the iTunes store. Very awesome and spot on. I have to give credit to Christian for the fantastic port. The price was no longer the $2 like it was before ( it was $5, greedy Sega), but it was worth the price. I would love to see more ports done as well as this one.

I am a bit surprised that the game did not do well in its original release. I guess that has more to do with the CD attachment more so than the game. Did any game sold on the CD format do well for Sega back in the way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.