Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

COMtnBiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
I've about had it.

No matter what I'm streaming - Netflix, iTunes audio, movies, slideshows.... After about 15 minutes, the audio begins to cut out every 3 to 15 seconds for a few seconds.

It makes watching movies annoying.

I think I'm just venting at this point, because there appear to be a ton of threads about this on apple support, etc., with no solution. :mad:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Wired or wireless?

What's your Internet connection like? Speed? Ping?

COMtnBiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Wired or wireless?

What's your Internet connection like? Speed? Ping?

Internet connection is about 1.5 (slow). But.... how does that matter if I'm playing a song from iTunes through AppleTV direct from my laptop?

Not sure about the Ping - I thought the speedtest said 20 ms.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Internet connection is about 1.5 (slow). But.... how does that matter if I'm playing a song from iTunes through AppleTV direct from my laptop?

Not sure about the Ping - I thought the speedtest said 20 ms.

It won't matter for local stuff, but you also said Netflix, movies, etc.

Again, wired or wireless?

Does the audio cut out but the video continues to play smoothly?

COMtnBiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Wireless.

Video continues to run crisply without cutouts.

If I stream audio from laptop to airport express to receiver, it's great. If I stream audio to Apple TV from the laptop, it has those cutouts. And that's when the laptop is 10' from the AE and the Apple TV is 2' from the AE.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
How is the ATV hooked up? Directly to the TV with HDMI only? Are you using an optical cable for separate audio?

I wonder if there is possibly a problem with your cable or the input on your TV or stereo receiver? Have you tried changing ports or changing cables?

COMtnBiker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
How is the ATV hooked up? Directly to the TV with HDMI only? Are you using an optical cable for separate audio?

I wonder if there is possibly a problem with your cable or the input on your TV or stereo receiver? Have you tried changing ports or changing cables?

HDMI only. No separate cable for audio.

Haven't tried changing ports.

Interestingly, rented a movie via iTunes to my laptop, and streamed that last night with zero issues. Normally, after 10 or 15 minutes, I would have started getting audio cutout.

----------

What TV model? Some older Samsungs had audio issues, sometimes there are firmware updates for the TV.

Sharp. I'll have to lookup to see if there's a firmware update avail for my model... Never thought of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.