Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Don't know if this has been noted, but the engine Old Republic uses is getting a Mac native version first quarter next year. Chances are very good for a Mac version around that time, as The Old Republic is only one of two games right now using that engine.

crmfghtr

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2011
I bought the game got the discs yesterday. Loaded in all the discs, when it gone done it said Installation Failed. I was running bootcamp Windows XP on a 2008 Macbook Pro
MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Guessing I wouldn't meet specs anyway.

Marctraider

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
Running SWTOR on my 2010 Macbook Pro 15 inch with Nvidia 330M GT (256MB Vidmem) overclocked to

625/1000/1375, can get it to 650/1000/1475 even but for some strange reason Powermizer kicks in and puts it back to 450 core clock and its stuck until I reset the whole Video driver.

FPS is reasonable and playable even with Anti Aliasing on 2x or 4x. (Have to force this in the SWTOR client_settings.ini.

I would say 25-60fps depending on the environment, everything high except for Bloom and Shadows. (Texture resolution on Low since I only have 256M dedicated vidmem)

Cheers :)

(Btw, I do think that SWTOR needs a bit of tweaking because even people with very fast PC's have problems with FPS)

LagFighter

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Running SWTOR on my 2010 Macbook Pro 15 inch with Nvidia 330M GT (256MB Vidmem) overclocked to

625/1000/1375, can get it to 650/1000/1475 even but for some strange reason Powermizer kicks in and puts it back to 450 core clock and its stuck until I reset the whole Video driver.

FPS is reasonable and playable even with Anti Aliasing on 2x or 4x. (Have to force this in the SWTOR client_settings.ini.

I would say 25-60fps depending on the environment, everything high except for Bloom and Shadows. (Texture resolution on Low since I only have 256M dedicated vidmem)

Cheers :)

(Btw, I do think that SWTOR needs a bit of tweaking because even people with very fast PC's have problems with FPS)

How did you overclock it? I have the same model as you do.

Gooter

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2008
Chicagoland
Runs great on my iMac 8,1. I am running at my native res with everything on high except for two settings (shadows = low, and whatever is to the left of shadows = medium). Also, bloom is turned off.

I have 4 gigs of ram and the latest Nvidia drivers running on Win7 x32.

Dekard

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Microsoft doesn't even support Windows XP anymore..

I bought the game got the discs yesterday. Loaded in all the discs, when it gone done it said Installation Failed. I was running bootcamp Windows XP on a 2008 Macbook Pro
MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Guessing I wouldn't meet specs anyway.

lewys

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
London
I have two questions about this.

I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit but it isn't genuine. Will i need a genuine copy of windows to play it? I read somewhere that i may need to. If i get the game i will be buying from a store so it will be a genuine copy.

Also i only have 20 gig partitioned for windows with bootcamp. Can i partition windows to have more space or would i have to delete everything? I dont mind deleting all the windows stuff but would like to keep my mac stuff.

Thanks

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I have two questions about this.

I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit but it isn't genuine. Will i need a genuine copy of windows to play it? I read somewhere that i may need to. If i get the game i will be buying from a store so it will be a genuine copy.

Also i only have 20 gig partitioned for windows with bootcamp. Can i partition windows to have more space or would i have to delete everything? I dont mind deleting all the windows stuff but would like to keep my mac stuff.

Thanks

I will give you the same answer I gave you in the same post you made in the other thread. Why would you even bring up the discussion of bootleg software on these forums. not to mention there is no need to post the same thing in more then one thread.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Can anyone tell me how much space this will take on my hard drive? I looked on the official site and amazon and there is no mention of the storage specifications.

My bootcamp partition is only ~30GB and i didn't realize 7x64 takes so much space!! I only have ~10GB free.

Anyone advice if this will work? Thanks!

astupiddream

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2004
Can anyone tell me how much space this will take on my hard drive? I looked on the official site and amazon and there is no mention of the storage specifications.

My bootcamp partition is only ~30GB and i didn't realize 7x64 takes so much space!! I only have ~10GB free.

Anyone advice if this will work? Thanks!

The Install takes up 18-27GB depending on languages installed.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
The Install takes up 18-27GB depending on languages installed.

:eek: WOW

You'd think that would be specified somewhere on the website under system requirements. I guess I have to redo my bootcamp or just return the game. Probably just going to return and then buy down the road when I would be re-partitioning for something else. I was looking forward to the game, but not worth the trouble.

Blooo

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
hey guys i have a mid 2011 iMac

2.5ghz intel core i5
4gb 1333 mhz ddr3
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB

i am using windows 7 through bootcamp.

would this be good enough to run the game?

i hope so

astupiddream

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2004

2.5ghz intel core i5
4gb 1333 mhz ddr3

i hope so

My 2011 Mac mini (with the dual core 2.5 i5, 8GB RAM, and Radeon 6330M 256MB) can run the game at 1080p with all the settings on low in a very playable frame rate. You're iMac is better specced than the mini so I'm thinking you'll be fine even at medium settings.

Blooo

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
My 2011 Mac mini (with the dual core 2.5 i5, 8GB RAM, and Radeon 6330M 256MB) can run the game at 1080p with all the settings on low in a very playable frame rate. You're iMac is better specced than the mini so I'm thinking you'll be fine even at medium settings.

does it look any good on the low settings? also what is the texture pop in like?

BowTheMan89

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2011
Colorado
I'm having a lot of trouble running this on my mid-2010 15-inch MacBook Pro. I've got the Nvidia 330M GT w/ 512MB dedicated memory, i7 @ 2.66 GHz (although I believe it's dual core), and 8 GB of RAM that I installed myself. I'm running on Boot Camp with Windows 7 64-bit, and I've updated my drivers.

Yet, despite all of this, I'm still only getting about 10 frames per second at best, and that's with all settings on low. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Notably, I do have the higher-resolution screen, running at 1680 x 1050.

----------

Here are my specs if that helps:

I have the same model, its running very poorly on my comp. all settings turned to low, and still getting very low fps. Anyone have any ideas? based on the system requirements, my comp should be fine.

Marctraider

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
How did you overclock it? I have the same model as you do.

First you want to disable Powermizer;
Download NVPMManager and disable that.

Next I used Nvidia Inspector to gently overclock it.
(Note that if you go too high, somehow the clocks revert to fixed performance mode and U cannot change it until you use NVPMManager again and use 'Instant Apply' button :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Don't know if this has been noted, but the engine Old Republic uses is getting a Mac native version first quarter next year. Chances are very good for a Mac version around that time, as The Old Republic is only one of two games right now using that engine.

Whose engine is it? If I knew, I've forgotten. I would welcome the chance to play a game like this native Mac.

sotsuki21

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2011
I have a mid 2009 MBP

2.53ghz intel core 2 duo
4gb 1067 MHz DDR3
NVidia 9400M w/ 256MB VRAM

i am planning on using windows 7 through bootcamp.

would this be good enough to run the game? do I have any other options? suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Blooo

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011

2.5ghz intel core i5
4gb 1333 mhz ddr3

i hope so

anyone have any other input on my setup?
anyone using what I'm using.
what would the frame rate be like?

just like some more input before i go out and get it.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I have a mid 2009 MBP

2.53ghz intel core 2 duo
4gb 1067 MHz DDR3
NVidia 9400M w/ 256MB VRAM

i am planning on using windows 7 through bootcamp.

would this be good enough to run the game? do I have any other options? suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Geforce 9400m is going to be the biggest problem. If you run a really low res with all the graphics options way down, it will probably be playable... even if it looks bad. I have heard other people (on swtor forums) saying they were using 9400s and it was terrible though...

anyone have any other input on my setup?
anyone using what I'm using.
what would the frame rate be like?

just like some more input before i go out and get it.
with Bootcamp that should run good... you'll probably be able to max it (with shadows disabled) and play fine with 40 or 50 fps at least...

I run through parallels (so a huge slow down there) on a i7 2.2, 8gb ram, 6750 1gb (2 CPUs to the VM, 4gb of ram, and 512mb vram) with Windows 7... 1280x800, all graphics options maxed except bloom and shadows off, and get like 30 to 50 depending where I am. Since running Windows natively instead of parallels will boost you like 5 to 10 times better performance... I'd say your machine should run it great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.