Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Airforcekid
macrumors 65816

Amazons silk web browser is worth a try.

I bought a kindle fire as a Christmas present but tried it out first and found it to be a decent alternative to the iPad for someone looking for only email and web access with little to no apps. The web browsing however was very nice but slower than safari. However it reformats every page in a way where I never needed to zoom etc to read text or scroll left to right. Its hard to explain but I preferred it over safari after some use. Flash was more of an annoyance tan anything and I'm glad the iPad does not have it because most online sites I tried that were flash intensive did not work with a touchscreen. Basically you should try this browser out if given the chance and if it's ever in the app store I would pay around $5 for it easily just for the page reformatting.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:09 PM   #2
darster
macrumors 68000

Silk browser is horrendously slow. I have a fire, and the download speeds are much slower than my iPad. Using Amazon's servers, the max DL speed I ever got was 10 Mbs on my wifi. Turning off some of Silk's functionability and bypassing Amazon's servers pushed it back to my normal wifi speeds greater than 30 Mbs.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Airforcekid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
Silk browser is horrendously slow. I have a fire, and the download speeds are much slower than my iPad. Using Amazon's servers, the max DL speed I ever got was 10 Mbs on my wifi. Turning off some of Silk's functionability and bypassing Amazon's servers pushed it back to my normal wifi speeds greater than 30 Mbs.
When would you ever need that much bandwidth on a tablet web browser even hd video only needs 2-4 Mbs at most.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:22 PM   #4
Mac.World
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforcekid View Post
When would you ever need that much bandwidth on a tablet web browser even hd video only needs 2-4 Mbs at most.
If you like a browser that loads 4-5 times slower than an iPad and like the 7" form factor, then by all means stick with it. Every reviewer that has played with the Fire has stated the silk browser is anything but silky smooth. I'll believe them over an Air Force kid. 👍
Mac.World is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:40 PM   #5
firewater
macrumors regular

Turn flash off(under web setting /plugins->on demand),and then the web is much faster
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:55 PM   #6
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewater View Post
Turn flash off(under web setting /plugins->on demand),and then the web is much faster
Having to turn off one of the main features that is (or was) used to promote Android.

Priceless.
*LTD* is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:00 PM   #7
firewater
macrumors regular

Flash still work's, I rather use it the way it was shipped. Work's superfast for me, maybe its your internet?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:07 AM   #8
taipan61
macrumors 6502

silk sucked! why would i want to turn off or slow the features that should make a better browsing experience (did like that i could turn off amazon tracking)
but sideloaded dolphinHD and firefox and have no issues with those browsers, run faster and smoother than silk with less lag
taipan61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 08:34 AM   #9
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewater View Post
Flash still work's, I rather use it the way it was shipped. Work's superfast for me, maybe its your internet?
FWIW, other sources have confirmed speed issues, particularly that in at least some standardized tests, Silk is slower with its acceleration feature turned on than it is with the feature turned off.

I'm not saying it can't work -- just that there are multiple sources providing credible data that it doesn't yet. Hopefully Amazon can address this with some updates and/or improvements in next gen devices.

Apple's "reader" function, which I guess is a more limited version of the site content reformatting, which I believe Silk also has, works delightfully well. I think there is a transitional space for that kind of technology, too, until most websites are designed in a multi-resolution friendly format (so that it's not necessary).
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:02 AM   #10
richpjr
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post
Having to turn off one of the main features that is (or was) used to promote Android.

Priceless.
I have an iPad not a Fire, but will point out the rather obvious - at least they have a choice in the matter.

----------

Just out of curiosity - are there any other browsers available for the Fire in the Amazon market place or whatever they call it?
richpjr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:13 AM   #11
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpjr View Post
Just out of curiosity - are there any other browsers available for the Fire in the Amazon market place or whatever they call it?
Not sure if Dolphin made it to the Amazon Marketplace just yet. Or others like it for that matter.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:16 PM   #12
taipan61
macrumors 6502

they are not anymore, amazon deleted them from their market...obviously
but you can get the .apk file almost anywhere and sideload them easily without rooting
taipan61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2011, 02:32 PM   #13
Meanee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by *LTD* View Post

Priceless.
Having Flash when you need it, and being able to disable it when you don't = awesome.
Meanee is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad