Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rory.reilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Hi I'm a fourteen year old who dabbles in FCPX and Adobe creative suite ( I do graphic design during holidays an like to practise/learn during school terms)

Anyway I just purchased an iMac 2008 20 inch 2.66 with 1gb of RAM which is nowhere near enough. So I need to upgrade. I'm unsure about how much I need as my Dad said I can use his brand new shiny 27 inch quad core i7 iMac sometimes; but I don't want to dump loads of projects on his computer so I would like to use mine most if the time then move onto his for really intensive projects in areas like print and publication design.

So how much do you guys suggest I should get, and where is the best place to buy it. Oh and I'm funding it with my one money so I'm obviously on a tight budget (being 14)

heimbachae

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
as much as you can. go to crucial.com and put in your specific computer and you can get prices. I know for my 09 iMac right now it's roughly $45 for 8 gigs. I'm not positive your computer can handle that much, go check your max capacity and ask Santa for new ram

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
I'd recommend at least 4GB, even if you arnt working on projects. Just makes the computer easier to use.
Your iMac 8,1 (i presume) supports 6GB (1x4GB, 1x2GB) DDR2 800MHz, unless its an iMac 9,1 then it supports 8GB DDR3 1066MHz

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
Hi I'm a fourteen year old who dabbles in FCPX and Adobe creative suite ( I do graphic design during holidays an like to practise/learn during school terms)

Anyway I just purchased an iMac 2008 20 inch 2.66 with 1gb of RAM which is nowhere near enough. So I need to upgrade. I'm unsure about how much I need as my Dad said I can use his brand new shiny 27 inch quad core i7 iMac sometimes; but I don't want to dump loads of projects on his computer so I would like to use mine most if the time then move onto his for really intensive projects in areas like print and publication design.

So how much do you guys suggest I should get, and where is the best place to buy it. Oh and I'm funding it with my one money so I'm obviously on a tight budget (being 14)

Your machine can accommodate up to 6GB of RAM (http://www.macsales.com) that is what I'd upgrade to for the best experience.

Sonhascome

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2010
Maryland
Yea, I'd do 6gb. if you go to crucial and run the program and then see what ram it says your system needs, and search ebay for it. It's always cheaper on ebay

rory.reilly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
It think I'll go for 6gb if I can get a good deal it'll probably make switching from between the two far less annoying (the difference between a quad core i7 with 12 gb ram to a dual core c2d with 6gb won't be too agonising right?) if not 4gb will probably keep me happy until I can find a good price

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.