Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Well I have been 2days and 23h uploading (stopped and started a few times to see if it uploads quicker hence only have 400+ in the screenshot)

Anyone else still having slow uploads?

I have a 1Mb upload internet conexión, but still seems to be taking forever...

:apple:

1Mb = about 8 times 128KBit.
In other words, if your songs are in 128 KBit, then you can upload 8 minutes of music in one minute, or 8 hours of music in an hour, or 8 days of music in 24 hours. Half that amount if your music is 256KBit.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
Success here. Upload eventually completed, then I deleted all the matched low-rate rips and re-downloaded them as 256kbps AAC, all now complete. Have also tested the pseudo-streaming on my iPhone and it even works ok on 3G. I'm impressed.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I probably won't use it that much TBH, I have my iTunes on an external hard drive, I also have the files kept on a NAS to feed my sonos system, for twenty odd quid, I find that the storage in the cloud as another level of security in case of crashes, very good value.

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
APPLE NEEDS TO STOP ALL NEW SUBSCRIPTIONS NOW. They need to build out more data centers and capacity and let those of us to paid our $25 bucks actually be able to use the service. It's getting so dog slow that I can't even stream songs without it stopping all the time... So frustrating. When it works, it works awesome, but when it sucks it REALLY PISSES ME OFF. And the worst part about it is that I can't MANUALLY copy any music to my phone now I have to upload it to the ()*@#*()@#$* cloud first and then manually download it on the phone (because the streaming sucks so bad I can't even keep a 40 minute music mix going for my workout). GRR

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
APPLE NEEDS TO STOP ALL NEW SUBSCRIPTIONS NOW. They need to build out more data centers and capacity and let those of us to paid our $25 bucks actually be able to use the service. It's getting so dog slow that I can't even stream songs without it stopping all the time... So frustrating. When it works, it works awesome, but when it sucks it REALLY PISSES ME OFF. And the worst part about it is that I can't MANUALLY copy any music to my phone now I have to upload it to the ()*@#*()@#$* cloud first and then manually download it on the phone (because the streaming sucks so bad I can't even keep a 40 minute music mix going for my workout). GRR

Nice rant, but you can copy any music you want manually, and home sharing works as well as it always did. And I had no problems whatsoever once the first mad rush was over, except that my internet connection isn't the fastest, but it chugs along quite happily.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Apple hasn't said and this service just started, so we'll have to wait until next year to find out. But my guess is no because that tab in iTunes is for the ability to re-download Purchased songs.

+1 for your signature

"Let's just say it: If someone else's choice of computing platform makes you angry and agitated, there's something wrong with you."

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
+1 for your signature

And plus one for your signature.

I'm actually very impressed at how well iTunes Match has been at matching my music. Moments ago I was curious how iTunes decided what to match, was it the meta data or something else?

I went on to YouTube and looked for the Glee version of "We Are Young" (original artist: FUN), I downloaded that video and converted it to an .mp4 file, sent it to iTunes and clicked on "Send to iCloud" and within seconds it was Matched without any meta data or track information.

So Apple definitely has some special software build into iTunes, and I'm sure with more time they will modify it to do a better job.

Out of my 2832 tracks (or 301 albums) I only had 2 albums that did not match.

In 2006 I purchased a demo/EP 5 track album by the band "Soft" and in 2007 they released a full 13 track studio album, but that demo album was removed from iTunes. It never qualified for the iTunes Plus (256k) upgrade from a few years ago and it was never available for re-download when iCloud was introduced earlier this year. But iTunes Match was able to Match those 5 tracks and finally let me upgrade it to 256K.

I'm impressed.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
All done and dusted for now, first impressions are very favourable, missing art work on my MBP, iPhone and iPad I can live with for the time being, I'm sure there is a solution.

Edit: I was wrong with reference to the missing art work on my phone and iPad, seems that it just needs time to populate.

Last edited:

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
4 songs a day. My subscription will expire before it completes.

Mmm... I have 16000 songs and it took a day for ALL OF IT on my lowly iMac Core Duo 1.83GHz (first gen intel iMac).

----------

And plus one for your signature.

I'm actually very impressed at how well iTunes Match has been at matching my music. Moments ago I was curious how iTunes decided what to match, was it the meta data or something else?

I went on to YouTube and looked for the Glee version of "We Are Young" (original artist: FUN), I downloaded that video and converted it to an .mp4 file, sent it to iTunes and clicked on "Send to iCloud" and within seconds it was Matched without any meta data or track information.

So Apple definitely has some special software build into iTunes, and I'm sure with more time they will modify it to do a better job.

Out of my 2832 tracks (or 301 albums) I only had 2 albums that did not match.

In 2006 I purchased a demo/EP 5 track album by the band "Soft" and in 2007 they released a full 13 track studio album, but that demo album was removed from iTunes. It never qualified for the iTunes Plus (256k) upgrade from a few years ago and it was never available for re-download when iCloud was introduced earlier this year. But iTunes Match was able to Match those 5 tracks and finally let me upgrade it to 256K.

I'm impressed.

For me, I find the results a bit weird. Keep in mind that I have 16000 songs, though.

One example: Genesis - Nursery Cryme:
- 5 uploaded songs
- 2 matched songs
on the SAME album!

That particular case might be that the songs on the iTunes version have "(New stereo mix)". I find that a lot of cases like that where the iTunes versions have new remixes or have been remastered.

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
I've discovered that some of the matched tracks now exist as both .mp3 and .m4a files. I'd like to delete the .mp3 versions. Is there an automated way to do this?

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
- 5 uploaded songs
- 2 matched songs
on the SAME album!

That particular case might be that the songs on the iTunes version have "(New stereo mix)". I find that a lot of cases like that where the iTunes versions have new remixes or have been remastered.

That particular album matched completely for me, but I have problems with other Genesis albums that are remixes. I suggest using iTunes feedback to tell them that you want the original album as well; I'll do that for the ones that caused me problems.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
For me, I find the results a bit weird. Keep in mind that I have 16000 songs, though.

- 5 uploaded songs
- 2 matched songs
on the SAME album!

I looked at my iTunes library again and I have a total of 5 albums that did not match completely.

Black Kids - Partie Traumatic
Madonna - Confessions on the Dance Floor
Arcade Fire - Arcade Fire
Blonde Redhead - Penny Sparkle
Blink 182 - Blink 182

It was a mixture of Matched and Uploaded,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.