Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Israeli newspaper Calcalist reports [Google translation] that Apple has finalized its previously-rumored acquisition of flash memory firm Anobit, with company executives having gathered employees to share the news. According to the report, Apple is paying $400-500 million for the Israeli firm.

netanyahu_apple_welcome.png

Tweet from Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu welcoming Apple
The article also claims that Apple has confirmed plans to open a research and development arm in Israel, the company's first outside of the United States. Apple has reportedly hired Israeli technology executive Aharon Aharon to lead the initiative.

Anobit specializes in signal-processing technique that improve the performance and reliability of flash memory. The company's technology is reportedly already being used in a number of Apple products including the iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Air.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Finalizes $400-500 Million Deal for Anobit

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Hopefully this is their backup plan to Samsung. Does Anobit make flash chips, or do they make the technology? I'n not on top of this, so excuse me.

EDIT!

Seems they are a fabless flash company. And they look for ways to extend the life of the chips or something. So not a backup plan for Samsung? :confused:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Hopefully this is their backup plan to Samsung. Does Anobit make flash chips, or do they make the technology? I'n not on top of this, so excuse me.

EDIT!

Seems they are a fabless flash company. And they look for ways to extend the life of the chips or something. So not a backup plan for Samsung? :confused:

Contrary to the wish of a few people here, Apple aren't really looking at replacing Samsung. Samsung is a big semi-conductors manufacturer and can probably offer Apple the kind of volume and aggressive pricing they need.

Why replace a winning combination ? Over some forum grudge ? Apple is not so petty.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Good news. Hopefully this will help Apple use better and more efficient Flash memory chips in the future. Good to see they are still serious about local storage in a "Cloud centric" world.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Good news. Hopefully this will help Apple use better and more efficient Flash memory chips in the future. Good to see they are still serious about local storage in a "Cloud centric" world.

Apple are already using the technology from this firm according to other thread about this acquisition. So no, this won't really help Apple in the sense of "better and more efficient Flash memory chips in the future". This will probably just stabilise their licensing costs and prevent new players from using this same technology. It might also provide patent ammunition to go after other players in the mobile industry.

Let's not kid ourselves about what this is about.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Ability to offering more local storage is always Apple's advantage. Now it's going to be even faster and longer lasting at a lower price.

Frankie4Fingers

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011
Why replace a winning combination ? Over some forum grudge ? Apple is not so petty.

What forum grudge? Apple's issues with Samsung are patents. (and visa versa).

If there were any kind of a "grudge" Apple had with anybody it was Jobs regarding adobe.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Apple are already using the technology from this firm according to other thread about this acquisition. So no, this won't really help Apple in the sense of "better and more efficient Flash memory chips in the future". This will probably just stabilise their licensing costs and prevent new players from using this same technology. It might also provide patent ammunition to go after other players in the mobile industry.

Might also be a strategic acquisition to make sure nobody else bought this firm. Since they were on the market. Smart move by Appel really. Full credit to them.

As for the future, Apple may feel having full control over this company will make it more efficient in developing for Apple's needs.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
There isn't enough American knowledge for Apple to utilize. It has been reported numerous times Apple struggles to find competent workers in the U.S.

Last edited by a moderator:

mijail

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2010

Man, you sound almost like you are trying to do some spin control. Which is absurd.

WTF do you know about anything anybody at Apple, Anobit or Samsung might be thinking or planning?

How can you start by "this will probably just... / It might..." and then end as self-assured as "Let's not kid ourselves about what this is about"?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I am against this..for political reasons which I cant say here because its againsts the terms and conditions of MR

MOD NOTE: You and anyone else who have the required minumum post count are free to engage in poitical discourse in the appropriate subforum. PRSI.

This front page article is about Apple and Anobit. Please try to keep it about that if you wish to discuss related political topics. Please start a thread in PRSI.

B

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
There isn't enough American knowledge for Apple to utilize. It has been reported numerous times Apple struggles to find competent workers in the U.S.

Welcome to getting a minus for stating the truth.

There are many smart people in the world on all continents. To make use of global knowledge and inventions is smart and doesn't mean anybody is dissing America.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

The forum grudge is thinking Apple would replace Samsung over these patent/design litigations. The little grudge held against Samsung is just that : forum gossip. Apple is not so petty.

That I have to further explain my post says a lot of the mentality of folk here.

----------

WTF do you know about anything anybody at Apple, Anobit or Samsung might be thinking or planning?

What does Samsung even have to do with this aside from the "first post" making this a "Apple vs Samsung" thing ? :rolleyes:

I'm not spinning anything, this is an IP acquisition, this is a fabless semi conductor's firm, ie, an IP firm. Let's not kid ourselves that this is IP acquisition, now what this IP will be used for beyond the current licensing of said IP (which Apple already does according again to the other thread) could be any of the things I listed (stabilizing their licensing costs, preventing new players or ammunition for lawsuits against other mobile players).

Do you have to spin everything I say into some kind of "anti-Apple" stuff ? I never posted anything anti-Apple here. Give it a rest.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

yeah - im ok wih this move by aapl

but wondering what premium aapl paid for the company

half a billion is not chump change

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Uh... no. It says a lot about your grammar, composition and just plain incomprehensible text at times.

Can you please point out the grammar, composition and incomprehensible text in the original sentence you quoted ? :rolleyes:

You should also realise that english is not my first language, like a lot of posters here.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV

If there were any kind of a "grudge" Apple had with anybody it was Jobs regarding adobe.

Some grudge.

Jobs was proven correct on Flash. Adobe overpromised delivery of Flash for mobile, it is a resource hog, and it has way too many security issues.

I for one am happy to see Flash for mobile deprecated. Next stop, no Flash at all.

jake4ever

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
Ma'on La'oved, Hadera, Israel
As an Israeli, I see this everyday. People fight about who owns a tiny strip of land with NO oil, because we "took" it from them. Let's focus on the actual topic. With $500,000,000 in the Israeli economy, that will make a huge impact on the already fantastic economy.

I am very excited about this.

RM48

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2008
As an Israeli, I see this everyday. People fight about who owns a tiny strip of land with NO oil, because we "took" it from them. Let's focus on the actual topic. With $500,000,000 in the Israeli economy, that will make a huge impact on the already fantastic economy.

I am very excited about this.

Agree 100%. Not only will Israel benefit from Apple coming to Israel, but Apple will also benefit. Israelis have proven themselves as smart and talented people. A little tiny country in the middle east is responsible for much of the technology and innovation that we use everyday, in all aspects of our lives from cell phones to medicine. Apple is a very smart company, obviously. They would not be making a bet like this on Israel for no reason. They see the amazing talent in Israel and they want a piece of it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.