Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

replacement_ipod_nano.jpg

Just hours after we reported that Apple appeared to have begun shipping out current-generation iPod nanos as replacements for recalled first-generation units, users are beginning to report in that they are indeed receiving the current models.
Just received our replacement today - Fedex truck pulled up late in the evening. Inside was our replacement for our 1st gen ipod nano that was sent into Apple 1 month ago.

It's a 6th generation ipod nano, serial number shows that warranty has expired. Not sure if that means that it's a refurbished model or if it's a brand new model and they've deactivated the warranty. It's silver.
Apple had initially been issuing refurbished first-generation models to replace the recalled first-generation units at risk of overheating. But it appears that the company has run out of spare first-generation units and is now supplying users with current-generation units as replacements.

Apple initially launched the iPod nano in 2 GB and 4 GB capacities priced at $199/$249 back in September 2005, adding a $149 1 GB model a few months later. The device utilized a click wheel for navigation and contained a 1.5-inch screen for displaying the standard iPod software interface. Battery life was advertised at 14 hours of music playback and four hours of photo slideshows with music.

The current iPod nano is less than half the size of the original iPod nano and utilizes a 1.5-inch touch screen with software skinned to look like iOS. It is available in 8 GB ($129) and 16 GB ($149) capacities and offers up to 24 hours of music playback.

Article Link: Apple Indeed Replacing Recalled iPod Nano Units with Current-Generation Models

newrocket

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2011
I think the question here is... when will they start replacing iPhone's 2G for new iPhone's 4S :D :D :D

0eyvind

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
sweet! battery life and quadrupled capacity makes it a perfect companion for an upcoming 22 hour flight ;-)

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not too happy. If they are just sending out 6 generation Nano's then why did it take so long?

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apple can't please everyone.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'd prefer an 1st gen replacement. Much more ergonomic and not as easy to lose to a dog/infants teeth/tummy.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
My guess is that a lot more people signed up for replacements than they expected (or had supplies of 1st generation models). They likely don't have the capacity to make new 1st generation models anymore.

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
Time to buy a cheap 1st gen nano off ebay!

[Edit]: Don't know what you guys are talking about though. This sounds like an awesome deal to me. Free upgrade!

Last edited:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
this is good for those getting replacements, unless you really dont like the newest design. if i was in line to get a replacement and got one of these i would just sell it since its not the type of ipod i would ever want.

southernpaws

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Rabble rabble! I didn't get something for free! I'm entitled! Rabble Rabble!

(just trying to head it off at the pass)

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
Step 2 of the process is "diagnosis." Does that mean that even if your serial number is in the right range, it may not qualify and they may just send it right back to you?

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

funny - my local dentist group has had an ad billboard up in front of their building for a couple years touting free ipod nanos to new patients - its the nano version with clickwheel/small screen/candy bar size (whichever gen ipod that is)
i thought it was funny they had that billboard up even when the new style nanos were released awhile back
i guess die hard older gen nano fans can get what they want if they become new dental patients there

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Connector Compatibility?

My car has an ICE iPod hookup allowing me to play music through the speakers and keep the 1st gen iPod recharged. My understanding is that newer iPods/iPhones/iPads have different power requirements. For example, my iPad2 won't charge in my car.

Does anyone know if the new iPods work with legacy connectors?
Will I lose car stereo capability with nano upgrade?

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
Step 2 of the process is "diagnosis." Does that mean that even if your serial number is in the right range, it may not qualify and they may just send it right back to you?

No, I think this is just the standard steps for all repairs. If you were actually sending an Apple device in for service they would have to analyze/diagnose the problem before they repaired it. In this case, I think they just check that you send the actual iPd you say you have, then send you a new one.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
My car has an ICE iPod hookup allowing me to play music through the speakers and keep the 1st gen iPod recharged. My understanding is that newer iPods/iPhones/iPads have different power requirements. For example, my iPad2 won't charge in my car.
Only the iPad(s) require more juice for charging. All iPods and iPhones should charge just fine with an older iPod car charger. In fact, these new nanos have very low power requirements. My laptop USB port charges my nano 6G is about an hour.

Does anyone know if the new iPods work with legacy connectors?
Will I lose car stereo capability with nano upgrade?
This one is trickier to answer. I guess the right answer would be "it depends". What make/model is your car's head unit. That would be the first place to start looking.

As far as the ability to connect physically, the nano 6G still uses the same 30-pin iPod connector as the nano 1G. So it'll fit. Will it work is another question.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.