Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Squeezing in one last release before Christmas, Apple today seeded developers with an updated version of OS X 10.7.3. The new version, known as Build 11D36, comes with no documented known issues and is said to include iCloud Document Storage, Address Book, iCal, Mail, Spotlight and Safari as focus areas for developer testing.

11d36.jpg

The delta version of the new build for updating from OS X 10.7.2 weighs in at 986 MB, while a combo version good for updating from any previous version of OS X Lion weighs in at 1.2 GB.

OS X 10.7.3 will be Apple's next free maintenance update for OS X Lion users. The current version, OS X 10.7.2, was released in mid-October and brought support for Apple's new iCloud services.

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X 10.7.3 Build 11D36 to Developers

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Has it sunk in yet for Apple that Mission Control's lack of Expose makes it a complete failure, or are they not going to address the issue at all?

A simple option in system preferences to ungroup windows would solve the problem.

Also, give us the ability to
-completely disable (and effectively remove) Launchpad.
-completely disable spaces (the grey border in mission control is redundant).
-have an option to turn off the macbook's main screen when hooked up to an external LCD. I have to wake from sleep in order to do this.

Last edited:

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Has it sunk in yet for Apple that Mission Control's lack of Expose makes it a complete failure, or are they not going to address the issue at all?

A simple option in system preferences to ungroup windows would solve the problem.

And of course the optimization lion runs like a dog on my 2011 macbook pro:mad:

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008

Are you aware that you can double-tap (not click) icons in the dock to see application windows Expose style? I only found this out the other day and it was something of a revelation to me. Especially useful for Photoshop when you have a gazillian image windows open.

Reborn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Are you aware that you can double-tap (not click) icons in the dock to see application windows Expose style? I only found this out the other day and it was something of a revelation to me. Especially useful for Photoshop when you have a gazillian image windows open.

And it works quite well i might add.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
My list of things Lion needs fixed or added:

1) Expose in Mission Control (basically ungrouping windows within an application and seeing ALL windows all at once)
2) an option to remove the grey border when mission control is activated when spaces arent used. With that, an option to disable spaces would be nice. I don't need spaces. I do like options.
3) bring back coloured icons in the finder's list of places (volumes, desktop, documents, etc).
4) optimize Lion for memory, it is a resource hog
5) release iTunes lite, it is currently bloatware and doesnt deserve its title as its misleading. Some of us only need iTunes simply to play music, NOTHING more. For now, I will continue to use Vox and Enqueue.
6) Fix the heat and battery life issues. The OS should improve on releases (or at least maintain), not get worse.
7) Give users an option in System Preferences to disable the Macbooks screen when using an external monitor. I only need one big screen, my 15" macbook is too small to work on at home. Windows 7 has this.
8) Tabbed browsing in the finder. Get on it.
9) Allow the ability to COMPLETELY disable the launchpad.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
I'm happy with how it works. Thank you.

That's nice. I'm happy you're happy.

When are people like you going to figure out that the rest of us are simply waiting for Apple to add an OPTION to change or disable some of the stupidities in Lion?

I'm so sick and tired of this attitude that Lion isn't broken and that Apple shouldn't change anything because it works for you.

News flash, you're not the only person on the planet.

Those of us who dislike Lion don't want to FORCE something upon you. We're not trying to MAKE YOU accept what we believe to be the "correct" way of doing things. We simply want Apple to add an option, so that for those things that don't jive well with us- we can opt to disable or revert the behaviour back to something that does jive well with us. That's all we want. A choice. A simple choice. We had them before but now we don't.

So, frankly, the next person to say "Well 10.7 works great for me! It doesn't need fixing!" needs to be lynched for not understanding this point. Lion is not broken if it does what you want out of the box. If it doesn't, you're **** out of luck. And that is the problem with Lion- it offers absolutely NO choice to change anything (and terminal hacks are terminal hacks- Cocoa isn't exactly hard to code up a checkbox for).

So for those of you who say that Lion is great and you have no issues with it and that Apple doesn't need to change anything- just keep this in mind- whenever you DO need to change something, are you really comfortable confiding in an operating system that offers you NO choices for even the most basic of things?

-SC

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.

Theres no way to show photoshop, illustrator and indesign windows all at once. I keep having to repeat myself on this in *EVERY* thread on macrumors when I make this complaint about the lack of Expose. I have doubts that people are even aware of Expose's functionality in OS X 10.6.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Theres no way to show photoshop, illustrator and indesign windows all at once. I keep having to repeat myself on this in *EVERY* thread on macrumors when I make this complaint about the lack of Expose. I have doubts that people are even aware of Expose's functionality in OS X 10.6.

I am sorry, I haven't read *EVERY* thread on Macrumors yet. Just trying to be helpful.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell

What are you talking about? That used to happen in Snow Leopard, not in Lion anymore.

Reborn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011

1) Expose in Mission Control (basically ungrouping windows within an application and seeing ALL windows all at once)
2) an option to remove the grey border when mission control is activated when spaces arent used
3) bring back coloured icons in the finder's list of places (volumes, desktop, documents, etc).
5) release iTunes lite, it is currently bloatware and doesnt deserve its title as its misleading. Some of us only need iTunes simply to play music, NOTHING more. For now, I will continue to use Vox and Enqueue.
6) Fix the heat and battery life issues. The OS should improve on releases (or at least maintain), not get worse.
7) Give users an option in System Preferences to disable the Macbooks screen when using an external monitor. I only need one big screen, my 15" macbook is too small to work on at home. Windows 7 has this.

How old are you? Six?

1. Personal preference.
2. Personal preference.
3. Still personal preference.
4. No, it's not. 64 bit environment is using a bit more memory. i'm seeing same memroy consumption in Snow Leopard (64 bit) and Lion with difference being no more than ~10%.
5. Most idiotic preference based on fantasies that have no ground in real life. I have almost 4 TB iTunes library and iTunes runs just fine on i5 iMac using up to 200 MB of RAM.
6. I'm sure it improved for many.
7. Last time i checked when you plug external monitor you can just close laptop lid and work on the external monitor.
8. If it's implemented the right way. Still personal preference.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011

2) an option to remove the grey border when mission control is activated when spaces arent used. With that, an option to disable spaces would be nice. I don't need spaces. I do like options.
9) Allow the ability to COMPLETELY disable the launchpad.

1. Expose would be nice. Mission Control is way better than Expose alone, but I do miss seeing all open windows.
2. So basically you just want Expose back. You might like the option, and I'm all for you having the option, but Apple's never gonna do that.
3. Eh. Apple's new UI is grey. It makes the content stand out more, and I kinda like it. Again, I'm sure there's a hack for you, but Apple won't bring it back.
4. It uses as much memory as you have, because free memory is wasted memory. I don't understand why people complain about this.
5. I think iTunes 11 is coming out soon, and hopefully that should fix some of the problems. I wouldn't call it bloatware, but it is a bit messy.
6. I haven't had those issues; what are you referring to?
7. Seems like a minor annoyance, but I know how those can be sometimes. Should be an easy fix, although I don't know if Apple would ever care to add it.
8. This. Yes. So much this. This is the only thing I miss from Linux, but wow it was so convenient. I hate having to bring up three Finder windows for a simple task.
9. Just don't use it. Put your Applications folder back, and don't use Launchpad.

7. Last time i checked when you plug external monitor you can just close laptop lid and work on the external monitor.

If he's having heat issues, this could damage his laptop.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't think I've ever had to restart my Mac with the power button, due to random screen freezes and refusals to wake from sleep, more times in 17 years of Mac use than in the last 5 months of Lion on a 2011 iMac. Not to mention WiFi issues and the occasional kernel panic.
Some say Lion is Apple's Vista. I hate to say it but it's kinda true in my experience.
I want to enjoy and be confident in OSX again. Hopefully this update will fix things.

Reborn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
That's nice. I'm happy you're happy.

When are people like you going to figure out that the rest of us are simply waiting for Apple to add an OPTION to change or disable some of the stupidities in Lion?

I'm so sick and tired of this attitude that Lion isn't broken and that Apple shouldn't change anything because it works for you.

News flash, you're not the only person on the planet.

Those of us who dislike Lion don't want to FORCE something upon you. We're not trying to MAKE YOU accept what we believe to be the "correct" way of doing things. We simply want Apple to add an option, so that for those things that don't jive well with us- we can opt to disable or revert the behaviour back to something that does jive well with us. That's all we want. A choice. A simple choice. We had them before but now we don't.

So, frankly, the next person to say "Well 10.7 works great for me! It doesn't need fixing!" needs to be lynched for not understanding this point. Lion is not broken if it does what you want out of the box. If it doesn't, you're **** out of luck. And that is the problem with Lion- it offers absolutely NO choice to change anything (and terminal hacks are terminal hacks- Cocoa isn't exactly hard to code up a checkbox for).

So for those of you who say that Lion is great and you have no issues with it and that Apple doesn't need to change anything- just keep this in mind- whenever you DO need to change something, are you really comfortable confiding in an operating system that offers you NO choices for even the most basic of things?

-SC

Most things you talk about can be considered personal preference. Adding an option for every little thing will complicate OS too much and it's nothing like what Apple does.

You people sound quite funny. 'bring back coloured icons' :D do you understand that this is a personal preference? just like many things that are "broken" in Lion.

I don't like some things, but i do not consider OS broken just because i don't like it, because there are many people that do like it that way, so ic hange what i can and suck it up when i can't.

That's just how it is.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I much prefer Spaces, Expose now that they are grouped and linked under Mission Control. Really makes the transitions seamless for my kind of workflow.

I never used Expose until Lion's version of it, I always thought it made a mess of things. For me, Apple actually fixed Expose with Application Expose and Mission Control to switch Spaces/Applications.

Launchpad ? What's that ? I have never seen Launchpad since installing Lion (yes, I know what it is, just making a point that it doesn't bother me at all, I just don't open it).

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
There are programs for tabs, but you probably knew that already.

I'm just curious, why do you want to completely disable launchpad?

The 20 most frequently applications I use are in my dock. The rest are in the applications folder that are accessed via spotlight, a shortcut via custom applications folder in the dock, or manually finding it via finder. I don't need another icon in my dock. Removing it from the dock doesnt disable it either (as has been proven when installing an application via app store, launchpad then activates).

----------

How old are you? Six?

1. Personal preference.
2. Personal preference.
3. Still personal preference.
4. No, it's not. 64 bit environment is using a bit more memory. i'm seeing same memroy consumption in Snow Leopard (64 bit) and Lion with difference being no more than ~10%.
5. Most idiotic preference based on fantasies that have no ground in real life. I have almost 4 TB iTunes library and iTunes runs just fine on i5 iMac using up to 200 MB of RAM.
6. I'm sure it improved for many.
8. If it's implemented the right way. Still personal preference.

What does my age have anything to do with the way I prefer to work on my computer?

Are you familiar with the term preferences at all? Why do you think you even have a special place in OS X for.... (get ready, this may shock you) SYSTEM PREFERENCES?

Are you under the impression everyone should have their computer set up exactly the way you do, or exactly the way everyone else does per Apple's orders?

What is the purpose of your computer? Mine generates my income, both at work and at home. It is my tool for my career and I would like to use it according to MY needs, NOT YOURS.

Most of the things I listed can be simply implemented by Apple by simply adding a check box in SYSTEM PREFERENCES. You wouldnt even be affected with the way your own mac would be set up, so why do you come off so ignorant and arrogant.

Seriously, look into system preferences and why it exists. :rolleyes:

Reborn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
I much prefer Spaces, Expose now that they are grouped and linked under Mission Control. Really makes the transitions seamless for my kind of workflow.

I never used Expose until Lion's version of it, I always thought it made a mess of things. For me, Apple actually fixed Expose with Application Expose and Mission Control to switch Spaces/Applications.

Launchpad ? What's that ? I have never seen Launchpad since installing Lion (yes, I know what it is, just making a point that it doesn't bother me at all, I just don't open it).

Well, well ... what do you know. Turns out there are people that actually think that what was broken is what actually was fixed.

Just like i said - personal preference.

----------

Seriously, look into system preferences and why it exists. :rolleyes:

Wow, really? Look into it yourself. Looks small, clear and nice huh? Now if they started to add 99 ways of how some specific option should work based on what people want how it would look then?

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Most things you talk about can be considered personal preference. Adding an option for every little thing will complicate OS too much and it's nothing like what Apple does.

You people sound quite funny. 'bring back coloured icons' :D do you understand that this is a personal preference? just like many things that are "broken" in Lion.

I don't like some things, but i do not consider OS broken just because i don't like it, because there are many people that do like it that way, so ic hange what i can and suck it up when i can't.

That's just how it is.

Were you also defending Apple like this when they got rid of the 'List View' of folders in the Dock?

If so, you do realize they caught on to the complaints and eventually brought back the... *gulp* preference!

Reborn

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Were you also defending Apple like this when they got rid of the 'List View' of folders in the Dock?

That's just what they did. I can't do anything about it and since i barely used it ... Looks like you will need to suck it up for once, i do that a lot.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Wow, really? Look into it yourself. Looks small, clear and nice huh? Now if they started to add 99 ways of how some specific option should work based on what people want how it would look then?

Or maybe just 1 extra option for each thing they meddle with called 'the old way if you still like it better, like we used to ourselves'?

Still not using Lion on my main machine, and the lack of all window Exposé as a mouse gesture / screen corner setting is one of the main reasons. Yeah, that's my 'personal preference', and in Snow Leopard I can exercise that preference, whereas in Lion I can't, which is why I am still preferring Snow Leopard.

I still think there's a chance we'll get the option, like we did when Stacks was broken, Apple like to try to force the new way of doing things to see if it sticks. Sometimes it doesn't.

Rumple

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I pretty much hate Lion. Any improvements would be awesome. I wish I made a backup before I switched. I would be back to SL in a heartbeat. Way to many things I would miss if I were to try to back up what I got. I'm not even sure how I would do it. So I hope for the best for Lion or a new OS soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.